Gymnation Protein Testing - let's make it happen!

Pseudonym

On 15/04/2016 at 10:55 PM, maccaz said:

could ask supplement companies for support as long as they are aware that their money doesn't add any bias.

Yep, I'll be doing exactly that. Although it would be nice to have some more donors on the board first, so that companies can see how much interest there is. (Same thing goes with your suggestion of getting a lab to do one demo test... I'll ask, but I think we'll need to show significant public interest before they'd even consider it.)

I also spent the weekend adding subtitles to the video so we can have it auto-play on Facebook, and hopefully that'll give us some more traction. I'll invite people to tag the brands they think should get involved too. :-D

7 hours ago, soundsgood said:

Have to ask why even bother about taste testing? ... If you didn't have that component would it make it cheaper?

Yes, taste is subjective, but remember we're also testing other metrics (eg, consistency, mixability, sweetness) which can be more specific. Throw in a general "comments" section for wider feedback, multiplied by many different testers, and I think you've got something that's worth doing. I know I'd value seeing people's opinions - particularly on how sweet or thick a protein shake is (I don't like a protein that's either one of those). I'm also really curious about how people's perception of a product is swayed by the hype - do they still like it when you take the hype away?

Without taste testing, we could probably reduce the development costs a bit, but the bulk of the cost by far is in the actual lab testing so it wouldn't make a huge difference to the total price.

Which brings me to the other big advantage of taste testing... Because it's cheaper, we can cover more products, and in different flavours. So later on, where the number of lab tests we can do will depend on the sponsor's budget, taste testing provides a (relatively) cheap way of quickly extending the product coverage until we can get a lab test done.

6 hours ago, PETN said:

Not really interested in pledging towards 15k though because of how unattainable it seems and unsure how whole pledging thing works on there. Like how do you make people who have pledged actually pay up? Will i get my pledge randomly ripped out of my acc in a few weeks and not be able to pay for my diesel at gas station etc?

When you make a pledge, Givealittle takes your credit card details and holds them. Then if (and only if) we reach our target before the deadline expires, you'll be charged the amount of your pledge. And I'm pretty sure Givealittle sends you an email a few days prior to let you know.

As for unattainable... well, hopefully not, but we'll just have to see. We need 1,550 people to give an average of $10 each - but it's actually fewer people than that, because some will give more, and we'll be tapping some of the supp companies for lump sums.

TBH, I'm also using the Givealittle project as an experiment to see how much demand there really is. If we can't get the initial concept to go viral, then I'm not sure it's going to be popular enough to be commercially viable to run on an on-going basis. #toughlove :-p

5 hours ago, Skeletor said:

whether they'd want results broadcast if selected product is found to be shit

No company would want that, but the test of a reputable company is whether they try to hide bad news or apologise and fix it. And if the brands brought in by Nutrition Systems (just for example) really are better than other dodgy brands, then they have everything to gain by jumping on board - and doing it publicly.

8 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

The right people need to be engaged. There are many angles that can be used. 

All it would take is someone pitching it well, direct to the right people and this would be more likely to happen. 

OK, putting all my cards on the table now... :-D

I think a university would be the ideal candidate to sponsor this on a long-term basis. It casts them in a good "researchy" light, and they're the ultimate in impartial information - many even have accredited food testing labs. And from their point of view, we're the perfect partner because our young demographic is their target audience.

Unfortunately I couldn't convince them of this last year - or those that were convinced had no money. So my plan now is to get this up and running, and go back to them when I can show them exactly how popular it is. (It's always harder to sell something that doesn't actually exist yet.)

But hey, if anyone has any other suggestions for potential sponsors (remember... must be impartial, outside the fitness industry, reputation for quality, etc) then let me know.

I havent watched the vid, so appologies if this has been addressed...how precisely will the testing differentiate nitrogen content?

Im thinking here of any powder that has been spiked but, due to crude nitrogen test readings, gives a false-positive on actual protein content.

100% Nutrition Systems will not contribute to this and if anything will do everything in their power to not make it happen.  (we now even have a reputation for being a dumping ground of shit supplements in general) 

Who ever thinks they have only the best brands is kidding them selves. Why do you think they can giveaway full size tubs of other products with a protein purchase? Because the proteins they buy aren't worth fu*k all so lots of margin to play with - if it was feasible for other distributors  to do that don't you think more of them would have buy now>?

This coming from someone that has/is working in the industry for over 7 years 

agree with eLmo, balance and horleys will stand out as the best and it wont even be close! 

Anyone else wonder why balance 100% whey has stayed the same? How many different proteins has gaspari had? or BPi alone have come out with over 4 different whey proteins in the last 4 years - not including bulk powders. Why has optimum stayed the same? still the biggest seller. 

Ask your self why!?

Quality products stand the test of time. 

I can't remember who said they were using NutraTech but I would personally stay away from that brand had very weird stories from people had sold that brand to and their products did funny things that same ingredient products in different brands had never done.  

2 hours ago, mjd243 said:

I can't remember who said they were using NutraTech but I would personally stay away from that brand had very weird stories from people had sold that brand to and their products did funny things that same ingredient products in different brands had never done.  

Can you please interpret this ?

I am not sure what you are saying? Maybe a good reason to have it tested then. 

I've tried WPC80 right off the back end of the drier before (commissioning a whey drier) and it tasted the same and same consistency as NutraTech natural whey. I have also drunk milk powder and familiar with taste difference. 

I would be keen to know the exact breakdown for sure! 

3 minutes ago, jimmybro1 said:

Can you please interpret this ?

I am not sure what you are saying? Maybe a good reason to have it tested then. 

I've tried WPC80 right off the back end of the drier before (commissioning a whey drier) and it tasted the same and same consistency as NutraTech natural whey. I have also drunk milk powder and familiar with taste difference. 

I would be keen to know the exact breakdown for sure! 

This is why I said personal as I do feel most my feelings towards this brand are just that. 

1. Meet the owners - Have you ever just meet someone and instantly thought you can't trust them? - that's what I got (again that is very personal and obviously has nothing to do with the validity of their products)  

2. There creatines, beta alanines and other "pure ingredients" would all go rock hard within a few weeks if you didn't shake them up. No other brand even did this for pure ingredients only blends where the different ingredients inside settle on top one another and the heavy stuff falls to the bottom.  only other reason this could happen is moisture which in a retail store obviously we did not have and again, no other brand did this. 
3. Me personally (again) I got a really sore stomach from it after 3 separate tries and flavours (twice with chocolate once with banana) - also had a few customers bring it back with the same problems. 

Again, this is my take I do believe they use NZ whey protein now, but am quite sure that wasn't the case when they first came out (margins wildly changed, free products etc) so who knows they may be legit as f*ck now. 

Just with all my experiences with that brand I wouldn't go near it when their are other quality alternatives for the same price... Eat me for example, red 8 protein I would much rather go for then NutraTech  

Personal opinion though take it as you will 

12 hours ago, OlympusNZ said:

One of the biggest legal issues you might face with something like this is chain of custody. Srs. If it gets as far as calling a company out on label discrepencies, CoC might pose issues.

True. I'm very aware we'll have to be careful about this. To the point where, if possible, we'll get products shipped straight to the lab, and get them to take a photo of the sealed container. If that's not possible, I guess we just record every step of the process so that if we're ever called out on it, we've got clear evidence of squeaky clean procedures.

11 hours ago, OlympusNZ said:

I havent watched the vid, so appologies if this has been addressed...how precisely will the testing differentiate nitrogen content?

We're hoping to test the amino profiles too.

8 hours ago, eLm0 said:

Balance is definitely in support of this. We will donate at least $500 (TBC) because we are confident in the quality of our protein :-D

Thanks Balance! It'll be interesting to see how many other companies join you.

Hey guys, I've just thrown some money at Facebook to get them to boost our post and show it to more people. But the more people that engage with it, the more it gets shown.

It would be awesome if you could all just leave a comment - maybe tag a company you think should get involved...

https://www.facebook.com/Gymnation.co.nz/videos/vb.286910121989/10153418534456990/?type=3&permPage=1

Hopefully, your comments will encourage other people to comment too.

yo that you Andrew? nice presentation , acting and backing music. just pledged , target sounds ambitious now but hope the project goes ahead, first of it's kind in NZ will be so worth it! did you discuss at all with labs about special pricing for proof of concept type startup? usually big difference in covering the costs vs fees charged, if the project were to be successful the lab stands to make profit from this in the long run so worth forwarding the query to them

Hit up Scorpion supplements down here in chch. I buy their flavoured whey, just ordered some. I find it a solid product, mixes well, good digestion etc. they are a local company and could be getting in on this, their customer service seems good. Another option apart from nutra whey that's a cheap local whey

29 minutes ago, OlympusNZ said:

What happened to the fb page that was up earlier? All the likes and comments have gone.

The old post with your comments is still there, but it wasn't compliant with FB's advertising rules (our static image - which no-one sees because the video autoplays - exceeded their maximum 20% text rule by 0.01%) so FB pulled it as a promoted post.

I wasn't allowed to edit the original post, so I had to make a new one... and that's how I've spent my evening. Still haven't had dinner, or my legs workout. Thanks, Facebook! :-p

6 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

The old post with your comments is still there, but it wasn't compliant with FB's advertising rules (our static image - which no-one sees because the video autoplays - exceeded their maximum 20% text rule by 0.01%) so FB pulled it as a promoted post.

I wasn't allowed to edit the original post, so I had to make a new one... and that's how I've spent my evening. Still haven't had dinner, or my legs workout. Thanks, Facebook! :-p

I was reading the other day how facebook claimed they had no grounds to shutdown a page run by male 20somethings posting sexual pics/vids of underage girls...but what a relief they were able to ping you for your pixel violation!

Cheers man!

We really need to get more "influencers" on board. So if any of you are mates with someone who has a large social media following, feel free to twist their arm point out how this would help NZ's gym community, until they give us a plug.

:-) 

A lot of people on social media who have "influence" will be sponsored athletes and their sponsors probably will not want to be a part of this/have their athletes promoting it. How about contacting some sports/fitness/bodybulilding "nutritionists" (the guys that sell online plans) and get backing from them, so they can be confident in the products they include in their plans

On 22 April 2016 at 10:28 PM, Pseudonym said:

Cheers man!

We really need to get more "influencers" on board. So if any of you are mates with someone who has a large social media following, feel free to twist their arm point out how this would help NZ's gym community, until they give us a plug.

:-)