Gymnation Protein Testing - let's make it happen!

Pseudonym

UPDATE: Project cancelled due to lack of interest. :-( 

What’s REALLY in your protein? We’ll do the lab analysis and blind taste tests to find out if your protein powder is legit.

We've got a lot of money to raise in a short time, and we need all the hands we can get. Here's how you can help...

Make a pledge now.
https://givealittle.co.nz/project/gymnation-protein-testing

Share this page on social media.

Or like/comment/tag/share our Facebook post. Better yet, do all the above.

Let's get this project happening! :-D

***  WHAT’S THIS PROJECT FOR? ***

To test New Zealand supplement brands, and find out which are true-to-label, and which are not.

*** WHY DO WE NEED THIS? ***

Someone recently tested a brand of protein powder that’s popular in NZ. According to their results, it contained half the amount of protein it should have, and six times the amount of carbs! (It was supposedly a low-carb protein, but tests showed it was 50% carbs, with 30% sugar.) Trouble is, the person who arranged the tests was (arguably) biased.

We don’t know who we can trust, and we don’t know how many other brands might be just as bad – or even worse!

We need someone completely neutral and objective to do these tests. Someone not owned by any supplement retailer or brand. Someone like Gymnation.

*** HOW DOES THIS TESTING WORK? ***
The Gymnation Protein Testing section has two halves to it...

The first is the lab test. It’s pretty simple – we buy products off the shelf (just like you do), send them to the lab, and check that what’s claimed on the label matches what’s in the tub. We’ll look at the basic stuff, like protein, carbs and fat. Plus we’ll check for amino spiking as well.

The second half is a blind taste test. We’ll get a bunch of you guys to be volunteers, and we’ll send you free protein samples. Unlabelled. You try them out, and rate them on taste, mixability, consistency, etc. Then we collate all your scores, and reveal the results.

Let’s see if these products are as good as the people pushing them on social media make out!

*** SO WHAT DO I GET? ***
Good question. In addition to the warm fuzzies of knowing you’re helping to clean up the NZ fitness industry, here’s what you’ll get...

-    For $10, your name will go on our list of Protein Taste Testers, and you could be selected to rate a bunch of samples for us.
-    For $30, you’ll be on the Protein Taste Tester list, PLUS we’ll send you a free Gymnation backpack.
-    For $60, you’ll be on the Protein Taste Tester list, PLUS we’ll send you a free Gymnation backpack AND a Gymnation shirt/singlet.

Remember, this is a pledge, so your credit card will only be charged if we reach our fundraising target and the project goes ahead.

There’s a few other things you need to know:
1.    YOU MUST ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL, AND SHARE YOUR DETAILS WITH US. If you make an anonymous donation, or you contact details are incorrect, we won’t be able to send you your reward!
2.    Only those that actually donate will be eligible. (That means this project needs to reach its fund-raising target, and you then have to make good on your pledge.)
3.    You must be in New Zealand to be eligible as a Protein Taste Tester.
4.    Samples will be sent to Protein Taste Testers selected at random – but even if you don’t get lucky this first time round, we’ll keep you on the list for future rounds of tests.

*** WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO? ***

We’re doing this project properly, and that’s not cheap. We reckon we can do it for about $15k though.

Here’s how it roughly breaks down...
 $7k – Lab testing the products (basic nutritional analysis, plus amino profile)
$5k – Back end development (all the databases and graphs to track and show our results)
$2k – Rewards (bags, tshirts, etc)
$1.5k – Miscellaneous (product purchase, shipping, etc)

*** CAN SUPPLEMENT COMPANIES AND SPONSORED ATHLETES PLEDGE MONEY TO THIS? ***

Yes, but only at this stage. It’s important that the Gymnation Protein Section is clearly objective and unbiased, so once it’s up and running, any sponsor will also need to be completely independent of the supplement industry.

However, during this early setup stage, everyone is putting money in – so there’s no way a single company has the leverage to influence the results. That means it’s just a great PR opportunity for supplement companies who want to show everyone how confident they are in their products. It’ll be very interesting to see which ones take up the challenge!

So guys... if you want to know what’s really in your supplements, 1) make a pledge, 2) share this with everyone you know, and 3) let’s get this project happening!

On 13/04/2016 at 7:11 AM, Skeletor said:

How will you decide what brands to test?

I think we start with the most popular brands, and include a few we think might be a bit dodgy. Then we adjust the list to make sure we've covered off a range of different suppliers (ie, some NZ-made, some imported brands). I'm happy to take people's suggestions on which brands to test though.

But the first hurdle we need to overcome will be spreading the word about this project. We need to get this video going viral, but the Gymnation Facebook page isn't yet active enough to be of much use, so we're completely reliant on other people sharing it. At this stage, that's almost more important to the success of this project than pledges are.

TLDR: Share our post on Facebook if you want to see the project happen!

15 minutes ago, M.T said:

Done. Great idea fully supported from me, all the best hope you reach the target!

To add, does anyone use the Nutra Whey protein? That's the only I use because I assumed it's the cleanest you can get and it's local.

Yeah bro I use this. 

I think it would be good to test.

• Gaspri Whey (Tastes to good to be legit)
  • Nutratech Whey
  • Balance WPC
  • MuscleTech Whey (9000% muscle gains claims)
  • BPI Whey (Many sponsored athletes)
  • Optimum Nutrition Whey
  • Muscle Pharms Whey
  • Narlabs (to close debate)

To name a few.   

22 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Prosupps is getting big sales in NZ now and lots of sponsoredd athletes seem to be rating it so be good to test that 

i swear prosupps athletes on insta and FB share something about prosupps every 4 hours lol. 

2 hours ago, M.T said:

Done. Great idea fully supported from me, all the best hope you reach the target!

To add, does anyone use the Nutra Whey protein? That's the only I use because I assumed it's the cleanest you can get and it's local.

Yea bro ive used nutratech for those reasons for a while!

im 100% for this happening but do you think the $ amount is a bit ambitious? 

Rather than database etc, could present results in a simple document with 1 page per brand/findings? 

just thinking of most pragmatic way to actually make this happen. im going to chip in regardless though.

We could do that, @maccaz. But that should be a last resort. The idea is to build this as an ongoing section now so it's easy for a sponsor to pick it up and carry it into the future. It's got to be something they can just step into without huge setup fees.

Also, the back end is pretty key for the taste testing side of things... trying to collect and process everyone's data without it would be a nightmare.

Development costs only make up a third of the total anyway - by far the biggest expense is the lab testing itself. It's $1200 per batch for a test that includes amino profile. We could halve that by dropping the amino test, but again, I'd like to do this properly if we can.

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

We could do that, @maccaz. But that should be a last resort. The idea is to build this as an ongoing section now so it's easy for a sponsor to pick it up and carry it into the future. It's got to be something they can just step into without huge setup fees.

Also, the back end is pretty key for the taste testing side of things... trying to collect and process everyone's data without it would be a nightmare.

Development costs only make up a third of the total anyway - by far the biggest expense is the lab testing itself. It's $1200 per batch for a test that includes amino profile. We could halve that by dropping the amino test, but again, I'd like to do this properly if we can.

cool mate. i agree the amino bit is good to have.

We need 1,550 people to give $10 each. If the rate of GCs (that's the technical term) is 1 in 10, we need to engage with ~15,000 people. I think 1 in 10 is probably a reasonable guesstimate, but those 10 need to be people who've actually engaged - ie, they're the right audience, and they've looked at the video and thought about it. So the raw viewer numbers we'll need are much higher. Ultimately, it's just a matter of getting the eyeballs.

Bottom line = SHARE, SHARE, SHARE! :-D

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

We need 1,550 people to give $10 each. If the rate of GCs (that's the technical term) is 1 in 10, we need to engage with ~15,000 people. I think 1 in 10 is probably a reasonable guesstimate, but those 10 need to be people who've actually engaged - ie, they're the right audience, and they've looked at the video and thought about it. So the raw viewer numbers we'll need are much higher. Ultimately, it's just a matter of getting the eyeballs.

Bottom line = SHARE, SHARE, SHARE! :-D

could ask supplement companies for support as long as they are aware that their money doesn't add any bias.

if they got nothing to hide its in their interest to contribute towards killing off less honest competitors

On 15/04/2016 at 10:55 PM, maccaz said:

could ask supplement companies for support as long as they are aware that their money doesn't add any bias.

if they got nothing to hide its in their interest to contribute towards killing off less honest competitors

Agreed. 

The right people need to be engaged. There are many angles that can be used. 

All it would take is someone pitching it well, direct to the right people and this would be more likely to happen. 

Get some  $5,000 contributions from companies. That's really not a lot of money if you can sell them the benefits. 

Have to ask why even bother about taste testing?

Taste is so personal preference and let's be honest 90% of protein powder is pretty good tasting these days.  

Also how you feel  about taste after one serve may not be the same after 50 serves 

If you didn't have that component would it make it cheaper?

47 minutes ago, soundsgood said:

Have to ask why even bother about taste testing?

Taste is so personal preference and let's be honest 90% of protein powder is pretty good tasting these days.  

Also how you feel  about taste after one serve may not be the same after 50 serves 

If you didn't have that component would it make it cheaper?

this lol. every whey is yuck after a few weeks to me so i never ever ever buy more than 2kg at a time.

even my favorite flavor would be disgusting after 2x double scoop shakes a day for a couple weeks

Agree with SG. People should only really interested in whether or not the product is consistent with the label so they know they arent being ripped off.

If it tastes like shit you just finish it/give it away/bin it and buy different brand next time. Not a big deal. Is abig deal if potein product you buy for 2 years is carbs though 

If this goes ahead i would definately buy products that had good results over products that weren't tested. Id say most people who were aware of these tests would do the same. It would be sort of analogous to buying pharma grade gear over some random UG stuff for similar price.

That in itself would be of more value to supplement companies (whose products arent shit) than the cost of testing surely? But guess it depends on these tests becoming well known etc.

I think what youve gotta do is pick out a popular protein and test it. Not f*ck round trying to get 15k in pledges that people probably wont even pay. That will actually get some exposure to what youre doing and get people interested in giving money so that the protein they use can also get tested next or whatever.

People wana see results. If people see results they are more interested.

6 minutes ago, PETN said:

Agree with SG. People should only really interested in whether or not the product is consistent with the label so they know they arent being ripped off.

If it tastes like shit you just finish it/give it away/bin it and buy different brand next time. Not a big deal. Is abig deal if potein product you buy for 2 years is carbs though 

If this goes ahead i would definately buy products that had good results over products that weren't tested. Id say most people who were aware of these tests would do the same. It would be sort of analogous to buying pharma grade gear over some random UG stuff for similar price.

That in itself would be of more value to supplement companies (whose products arent shit) than the cost of testing surely? But guess it depends on these tests becoming well known etc.

I think what youve gotta do is pick out a popular protein and test it. Not f*ck round trying to get 15k in pledges that people probably wont even pay. That will actually get some exposure to what youre doing and get people interested in giving money so that the protein they use can also get tested next or whatever.

People wana see results. If people see results they are more interested.

this.

peso, any chance you could get a lab on board to do one test as a trial run? 

I was even thinking just get enough together for one test then do that and release results then go from there. f*ck id pay $50 towards seeing if a good value protein i had access to measured up and if it did id just buy that. I think also that once people see actual results they will be more willing to give money to have further tests done on other proteins.

Not really interested in pledging towards 15k though because of how unattainable it seems and unsure how whole pledging thing works on there. Like how do you make people who have pledged actually pay up? Will i get my pledge randomly ripped out of my acc in a few weeks and not be able to pay for my diesel at gas station etc?

Would legit rather just pay than pledge

Agree with the others on the taste. Taste is very individual that's why I get angry at those stupid cooking shows where they get judged on taste of meals.  Do you think Nutrition Systems would get on board with this ? You'd think it would be in their best interest to know what's legit seeing as they have a bulk of the market. I could ask Shane as I know him pretty well but whether they'd want results broadcast if selected product is found to be shit when they probably brought in a few thousand tubs might be a different story. 

I love where this is going!  I spend at least $100 per month maybe $200 on Protein Powder id be happy to give $50-$100 to get one trial test up and running ASAP.  We should just all agree which Brand to Test first and go from there, this pledge business seems like it will take ages to get off the ground and by that stage I've gone through x4 tubs of Pig shit with x10 cups of sugar and a flash label claiming 3g Carbs 24g Protein 1g sugar.

I have already pledged, and would be very keen contribute to see a single test of a specific brand if thats the way things go. I have used Nutra Tech for the last couple of years due to the price, made from NZ whey etc and, according to the label, has the same/similar nutrition profile as more expensive overseas brands.

I agree that getting interesting results from a single test will help get the ball rolling on testing multiple brands, but what happens when you test a brand and it comes back the same as stated on the label?

Well for me personally if it was a reasonable price and didnt taste like shit i would start using that one as for all i know other ones might be shit. 

I think with all the uncertainty in this area that there is a reasonable demand for and interest in independent test results actually confirming legitimacy of specific products.

Wouldnt be surprised if narlabs was complete shit but also wouldn't be surprised if that amrit c*nt sent them in some shitty mass gainer or protein cut with sugar or something. Wouldn't trust either of these people.