overseas coaches

HarryB

Why do we look outside of our country to get coaching? Like what's the reasoning? I was reading the Sébastien Oreb thing and thought why?.. in NZ you have Cathy Millen a multiple world champion in a million weight classes, Reuben Simanu, Wookie who have world class proven ability and knowledge. What does Sébastien bring that can't be found in NZ with the added bonus of availability and affordability. 

Like I get it... sort of. I don't even PL and I'd pay to see Ed Coan. But just asking the question? What's makes an Oreb more attractive than a home grown proven champion? 

32 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Why do we look outside of our country to get coaching? Like what's the reasoning? I was reading the Sébastien Oreb thing and thought why?.. in NZ you have Cathy Millen a multiple world champion in a million weight classes, Reuben Simanu, Wookie who have world class proven ability and knowledge. What does Sébastien bring that can't be found in NZ with the added bonus of availability and affordability. 

Like I get it... sort of. I don't even PL and I'd pay to see Ed Coan. But just asking the question? What's makes an Oreb more attractive than a home grown proven champion? 

i guess internet makes it irrelevant which country a coach is in unless you live near them and would be seeing them face to face.

my first choice would be to have a local coach and work face to face but that leaves limited options so going to online coaching opens world of options

Didn't bother saying in other thread because OP specifically asked not to. But since this is a new thread - It's hype and it's a rip off. Well actually maybe not rip off but it's over priced. Just my opinion.

most people are prepared to help for a couple it bucks and in a lot of cases nothing if you are genuine and will listen to what they say and give your best efforts.

exactly completely agree Harry good points. Wealth of knowledge in NZ. Most of the accomplishments are unknown because they were done well before social media which is sad in a way but I don't think it bothers the people who did them in the slightest. Different types of people.

The fact remains is there are better people out there than in NZ especially when it comes to things like powerlifting.

That said, I would guarantee a Millen/Ian King seminar would be outstanding.

I've been to a Reuben Simanu bench press seminar - 265kg raw and drug free (yes, I rarely say that) - the guy is insanely good and didn't get a big bench simply by loading up on gear.

That said, if I was going to drop $300 on an all-day seminar, there are probably a handful of people I would say it would be really worth your while. The problem is, is those people likely don't come to mind when 'wish-list' seminar speakers are talked about.

I've been told the exact training cycle of one of the most well-known powerlifting crews in the world. The type that people would think to pay $300 for. It's basically "Week 1: Squat really hard for a triple and deadlift light. Week 2: Deadlift really hard for a triple and squat light. Week 3: Squat really hard for a max double and deadlift light...etc" for 8 weeks.

If anything is needed in this country, it's just a seminar on how to follow a program for longer than a week.

2 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Didn't bother saying in other thread because OP specifically asked not to. But since this is a new thread - It's hype and it's a rip off. Well actually maybe not rip off but it's over priced. Just my opinion.

most people are prepared to help for a couple it bucks and in a lot of cases nothing if you are genuine and will listen to what they say and give your best efforts.

exactly completely agree Harry.

Exactly why I didn't say it in the other thread :) 

yeah i didnt say in other thread either.

basically, theres only so many ways to skin a cat and someone that charges 300$/head for a seminar is only going to be slightly better, if at all, than someone that charges $50. that price is because of the social media hype.

there is nothing particularly special about any particular coach or method imo, each might have strengths or focuses or whatever but end of the day most of us apart from the very highest level can progress no matter who is coaching us within reason.

in saying that, i saw oreb etc at pro raw and they are damn impressive powerlifters, that whole group, and the seminar would be worth going to if you dont mind spending the money (i wouldnt just because im a tightass, if money wasnt a factor i would def go)

I just think if 20 people show up to a seminar run by a guy and pay $300 a head... Don't they all collectively think we are paying him $6000? I would be thinking that. 

do you think you are getting $300 worth of value out of that. What's the amazing secret that we don't know that's gonna be revealed in this seminar.

no one will go anyway. Thomas Lilley wanted $100aud for a day seminar and no one put their money where their mouth is. It's all talk.

Sébastien Oreb is by all accounts a great trainer and has a strong team. But is he responsible for Alex Lowe... no he isn't. There's nothing he's telling anyone that they can't find out elsewhere but he has a strong team because he creates a good mindset and training environment. I have a friend who trains with him now but she was a world champion pl before she started training with him. She just likes the environment.

I also think that if you're going to sell a system, talk about all the aspects. Be completely open and recognize that programming for a natural is different for programming for a geared lifter. Recovery is different, strength potential is different etc etc etc so the programming if geared toward doped athletes doesn't always apply to natural ones. And lold at getting the programme they used ha ha ha isn't it specific to the athlete? 

If you have money for jam, I'd look up Chad Wesley Smith, become one of his online clients. That guy is a freaking Jedi. He helped turn Brandon Allen from a 900 total to 1000 in under 6 months.

I think the fact remains, no one is getting the best possible deal by getting a cookie-cutter program. And cookie-cutter technique advice is arguably even worse.  

So if you pay $3-400 for a cookie-cutter program, you're not getting a good deal. I'd use that as a framework when evaluating coaches and seminars etc.

I will happily admit that though I personalise programs, I'm not giving truly advanced programming. And I'm certainly not capable of giving truly advanced technique advice, which is why I sent Realtalk to Simanu for bench help. 

Before I asked Jono for help I messaged Sebastian for online programming. He sent me back a price of $300aud per 4 week block. That was going to cost me over $1200nzd for a 12 week plan coming into a comp.... And it wasn't even specified that it would be overseen by him, it said him and his "team" 

that was a bit of an eye opener for me lol

13 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Before I asked Jono for help I messaged Sebastian for online programming. He sent me back a price of $300aud per 4 week block. That was going to cost me over $1200nzd for a 12 week plan coming into a comp.... And it wasn't even specified that it would be overseen by him, it said him and his "team" 

Yeah its pretty standard actually for over here. Alex Lowe is similar. Bodybuilding prep coaches charge that for a prep and more. They charge 100 to 150 for pt sessions also. I understand that as a one or two time thing to correct form but yeah not every session. 

14 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

f*ck, i didnt think it was that much.

chad wesley smith is 200$ USD/month so 290$ NZD. 

that seems on the expensive end of reasonable to me given his well proven success and knowledge (im a fan though so biased)

31 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Yeah its pretty standard actually for over here. Alex Lowe is similar. Bodybuilding prep coaches charge that for a prep and more. They charge 100 to 150 for pt sessions also. I understand that as a one or two time thing to correct form but yeah not every session. 

People get coached by individuals like this for exposure. Just my opinion. 

People care more about social media than their bank account or lifts.

Whatever it takes right babe

For a PL going into a competition - I go $20pw for the programming weekly (adjusted each week), advice and support, and comp planning. It works out about an hour total of my time each week. That means I'm available every day for questions- so you get a friend too. ;) 

But as I've said, it's a hobby. I wouldn't want more than 3 people at a time.

You go into the meet knowing exactly what you're likely to hit, which is why RT didn't miss a single lift in his first 3 meets with me. 

$20 just makes it worthwhile for me, and I find people who get things for free take them for granted. 

Like the guy last week who took close to 2 hours of my time as I planned out programming for the 2 comps he wanted to do.

Programming is important sure but more important IMHO is technique breakdown, accountability (all good writing a programme but if the client doesn't follow what's the point) and mental prep from someone who is genuinely interested in seeing you perform your best.

Also a great advantage is having a coach who is willing to come to your comps and help you out on the day.

The tweaks I've had from video analysis from Thomas Lilley were only small but they all add up and I can 100% accredit gains to his help.  

I went to Brett Gibbs seminar which was $200 and it was awesome, well worth the money.  Didn't need to get a free tshirt or free lunch, the knowledge gained was worth it to me.  With him moving to Canada it meant I would never see him in person again so I widened the net again and working with Lilley again.

10 minutes ago, jimmybro1 said:

People get coached by individuals like this for exposure. Just my opinion. 

People care more about social media than their bank account or lifts.

Whatever it takes right babe

Yes..... this is pretty much right on the money for a lot of people. Buy into the social media and hype. Be a part of the hype. 

11 minutes ago, Wookie said:

For a PL going into a competition - I go $20pw for the programming weekly (adjusted each week), advice and support, and comp planning. It works out about an hour total of my time each week. That means I'm available every day for questions- so you get a friend too. ;) 

You go into the meet knowing exactly what you're likely to hit, which is why RT didn't miss a single lift in his first 3 meets with me. 

$20 just makes it worthwhile for me, and I find people who get things for free take them for granted. 

Like the guy last week who took close to 2 hours of my time as I planned out programming for the 2 comps he wanted to do.

That's very very cheap pricing for the wealth of knowledge you have. If only you had a greater insta following :/ 

1 minute ago, HarryB said:

That's very very cheap pricing for the wealth of knowledge you have. If only you had a greater insta following :/ 

I have a job, so this is simply a hobby. 

I would go insane doing it as a job. I had considered trying to be a Super 15 strength coach or the like, and it's not for me.

Just now, Wookie said:

I have a job, so this is simply a hobby. 

I would go insane doing it as a job. I had considered trying to be a Super 15 strength coach or the like, and it's not for me.

I'm like that with what I do coaching wise. It's not my sole source of income so I don't have any stress relating to how much I charge. It's a tough gig full time and truth be told I'm not that into it ha ha ha I like coaching sometimes but I like having the ability to choose who I work with. If I was reliant on it I'd lose some of that choice. 

Precisely.

I flat out refuse to help out anyone who can't and won't follow a program. There's a huge difference between someone who does an extra rep every now and then, and someone who believes they know better and therefore does their own thing. That's really what's happening in someones heart when they don't follow a program, even if they won't phrase it that way.

Waste of time.

I pay around $100 a month for my current coach. I certainly didn't choose him to look good or be part of a special group on social media. That's just stupid.  I chose him based on about a week of searching and comparing results of clients. Looking back through their accounts and seeing how they've progressed. I had Googled strength coaches in NZ with no luck at all.  I had worked with Wookie with very good results but he wasn't looking to carry on training anyone at the time so I had to look elsewhere. Contacted Chad Smith but got no reply , had looked into the young aussie guy doing brett gibbs programing but then I heard of Thomas. My first paid program was a bench program by sebastian which was designed for Ron Kingi and no surprise I got little success from that as it was not in any way tailored for me but I'd still go to a seminar just for the hands on experience.  Sometimes the smallest changes can yield big results. It doesn't matter how advanced you are you can always learn something.