arachidonic acid

BigMcK

Has anyone on here tried or know of someone who has used it?

I'm taking part in a nutrition study to find out the affects it has after a 1 month dosing of 1500mg daily, I was told its 50/50 whether I receive the arachidonic acid or a placebo, but I'm sure I have received the arachidonic acid as after my weight training the following day, having taken the arachidonic acid for 24 hours I was sore all over not just the muscle group I had worked specifically I mean every single muscle that was even slightly engaged through each exercise was sore and swollen. I felt like it was reliving the first time i had to recover from heavy lifting that being said this is what arachidonic acid does its a pro-inflammatory and by doing this it somehow increases muscle recovery and growth and overall strength while leaving you feeling energised with gains of half a lb lean muscle weekly and reduction of fat.  I'm almost at the end of the month and honestly it will be good to not feel so sore everyday but I am wanting to do another month after a month off, I can only find a couple of places that sell the supp but its mixed with a whole load of other crap (fat burners, caffeine etc) does anyone have a contact or know where I could get it in a pure form that's not gonna cost an arm n a leg?

1 hour ago, BigMcK said:

it somehow increases muscle recovery and growth and overall strength while leaving you feeling energised with gains of half a lb lean muscle weekly and reduction of fat.

Sounds fantastic! And have you seen these benefits yourself?

It's only been a month but yes I have cut down about 4kg and feel significantly stronger, sore but not lethargic and as far as gains go il be doing a dexa scan next week so will know exactly where I stand with lean mass gains 

3 hours ago, HarryB said:

I believe the Dolan brothers used it. Ask them. The younger one detailed it quite comprehensively I think. 

@manlet ???? You and your brother used this didn't you? Or was it just Kyle?

Nah man, you're thinking of D-Aspartic Acid.

Arachidonic is really new. Not many have heard of it, let alone used it. I can't remember who pioneered it but I remember listening to a podcast in which he spoke about it. Still in its clinical stages from what I remember. 

2 hours ago, BigMcK said:

I have only found 1 place that sells it in its pure form but it's in large quantities 25kg + and at $125 kg it's not realistic to purchase for personal use

Whats a typical highish dose? If its only 2 or 3 grams or whatever a day then you could probably make a killing bagging and selling off say 100g at a time from the 25kg bag. Assuming of course that it actually does something legit and becomes popular.

4 minutes ago, PETN said:

Whats a typical highish dose? If its only 2 or 3 grams or whatever a day then you could probably make a killing bagging and selling off say 100g at a time from the 25kg bag. Assuming of course that it actually does something legit and becomes popular.

yes its a am/pm dose of 1500mg so 3grams daily, it is still in clinical trials at the moment but based on previous trials and my current cycle of 1500mg 2xdaily it works but like anything new people are slow to try it unless its endorsed by a celebrity or brand. Universal Nutrition Animal Test use Arachidonic Acid as one of its main ingredients  and that's retailing at almost $150 for a 3 week cycle. so yea once people realise how effective it is you would make a killing selling 100g bags

5 minutes ago, Island_Moose said:

24 hours in and it's doing exactly what it claims to do.  Every muscle in my body is on fire, it's like the first time I ever picked up weights.  Not sure I want to be this sore for 42 days.

Is it only sore in muscles you train or do you think if you don't train at all itd still be sore? 

41 minutes ago, Island_Moose said:

24 hours in and it's doing exactly what it claims to do.  Every muscle in my body is on fire, it's like the first time I ever picked up weights.  Not sure I want to be this sore for 42 days.

Pain=Gains

your body will adjust to the pain although I found myself not training as hard in the beginning for fear of the following day and the amount of soreness I could expect but in saying that I have a high pain tolerance and it pushed me to my limit at the beginning but after the first week I adjusted and began pushing back into heavier weights by the 3rd week I was feeling sore but a lot stronger 

2 hours ago, PETN said:

Is it only sore in muscles you train or do you think if you don't train at all itd still be sore? 

I'm on a cycle where I do every muscle group in 5 days, so hard to tell.  I can tell you I woke up with sore quads, and I did them 4 days ago.  It was obvious, the normal soreness that I have after 5 months of training doubled overnight.  I'll keep at it, like BigMcK says, no pain no gains.

I go to failure on every set, sometime holding back a scream after the last rep, so I know what to expect.

The stuff definitely does what it says it does, almost instant inflammation.

On 6/04/2016 at 0:45 PM, Island_Moose said:

The stuff definitely does what it says it does, almost instant inflammation.

So I get that inflammation can be a trigger for muscle growth, but is that all it's doing? Taking a supplement that causes inflammation sounds a bit scary to be honest. I'd want to be pretty sure it doesn't have other nasty side effects.

On 8 April 2016 at 11:17 PM, Pseudonym said:

So I get that inflammation can be a trigger for muscle growth, but is that all it's doing? Taking a supplement that causes inflammation sounds a bit scary to be honest. I'd want to be pretty sure it doesn't have other nasty side effects.

Well the supplement itself is a testosterone booster, with the AA as an add-on.   There are quite a few articles on Arachidonic acid .  

On 4/2/2016 at 6:52 AM, nate225 said:

Isn't it just one of the fatty acids in fish oil and similar products?

Can't recall the dietary sources, but ordinarily it is used by the body as a substrate in the absence of the preferred material.  It's a 'get you by' plan B kinda thing, with a systemic pro-inflammatory nature.  Usually one wants to constrain intake, and make sure adequate intake of, roughly, ever other fatty acid.  Preferably from animals slain to further gains, of course.

Animals studies suggest supplementation with linoleate, a pre-cursor to AA, has an immune-suppressive function.  

And it sounds like arachnids.  #NotEvenOnce

ArA supps have actually been around for years. Bill Llewellyn, of Molecular Nutrition, pioneered the science and use of the compound. Best 'pure' sources are Molecular's 'XFactor' or SNS's 'Xgels', both of which sell as 100gel bottles, with 250mg ArA per gel.

There are a few products that use ArA in multi-ingredient blends, such as the Universal product already mentioned, and I believe Komodo's pump pre wo 'Vaskular' uses a small dose, too.

Personally, Ive found doses in the 2gm to 2.5gm /d range the best for pumps/muscle fullness, strength gains and hypertrophy. Gets pretty expensive, though. Couple hundred NZD for a basic 8 week run.

Remember, at the end of the day its a natty supp, so lol dont expect too much from it. It is, though, one of the better natty supps and has some good data behind it (unlike many herbs popular in the States).

...oh, also just noticed what you said, OP...

ArA is best dosed pre wo, so its a bit strange they have you dosing post?

Depending on dosing, it typically also takes up to 3-4 weeks to reach effective saturation levels in skeletal tissue, so Im inclined to think placebo if you are experiencing anything significantly prior to that timeframe. Could be wrong, of course :)

For anyone interested, the two official Arachidonic acid (ArA) studies to date, first 2007, second 2015:

http://arachidonicacid.com/baylor-university-arachidonic-acid-study/

http://arachidonicacid.com/university-tampa-arachidonic-acid-study/

A few of you mentioned above about sourcing ArA powder? Dont bother with it. It isnt 100% ArA, but more like 10% I believe. A few of us looked into it a while back, and it doesnt end up a feasible source. Most people dose 1.5-2gm ArA per day, fasted prewo, so youd need to ingest 15-20gms of that powder to hit your dose...and that assumes the source extract is standardised (not sure it is). Plus, Ive heard the powder tastes absolutely terrible.

If you are wanting to experiment with this ingredient, Id recommend sticking with the standardised extract (an oil in gel capsule).