Choosing openers and 2nd lift for comp

Skeletor

Apologies for starting another thread but how do you guys and gals decide on your openers for a comp? As an opener would you pick a weight you can comfortably hit for say 3 Reps on the theory you can always go up but can't go down then go from there? Do you go for a max as your third or do you try for a max weight you've hit in training or just how you feel on the day. Thanks in advance.

Probably depends on how much the comp and not bombing matters to a certain extent. Like basically your goals for the comp..like is it just to qualify? To get PBs on all or specific lifts? Total PB? To beat someone/win?

For comp im gonna probably do next its to qualify for other comp by posting any total so my openers will be easy lifts-stuff ive done 3-5 reps of. Assuming i get those then i dont really give a f*ck about 2nd or 3rd lifts. Might not even do them if sore etc. If i do attempt 2nd lifts will all be comp PBs if i get them. Almost certainly will be passing on 3rd lifts unless i stuff up a 2nd on something like missing a command etc in which case id likely be repeating that same weight.

Think if i was going for best total id open on roughly 3rm weights so i didnt bomb but was still not a disaster if i didnt get 2nd or 3rd on that lift then go from there. Would get pretty complicated if you were planning on winning or beating a specific person if you were close

1st : lift i can do any day of the week no matter how shit i feel

2nd: best lift from last 6 weeks

3rd: small pb on top of 2nd, adjustable on the fly depending how i feel on the day. usually might set a range. eg i went to my last competition having done 230/120/242.5 in training

plan was 

squat: 215/232.5/240-250

bench: 115/120/122.5-125

deadlift: 225/242.5/250

sorry also to add to what petn said, my suggestion is based on not expecting or caring about how i do in relation to anyone else, just going for a small pb on all 3 was the target.

different story if you are aiming to win or place (which you might be tbh with that deadlift etc)

Generally opener I would say to put down something you could triple because then you know you can hit that for a single any day of the week and you won't freak out listening for commands etc since the weight is easy.

Second I would judge off Opener, close to or at what your PB is if you are feeling good. But if your opener is rough then be a bit more conservative.

Third is basically judged off Second, you should have a planned range of what you should be capable of for a Third based off your training, if your second is easy as and comfortable then go for that big PB if not then be a tad more conservative.

Biggest totals are generally made off 9/9 lifts and it's a lot more fun to not miss lifts, especially your first few comps.

You're better to hit attempts than to take too big jumps and miss so erring on the side of caution is not a bad skill to have.

If you're in tight competition with someone it totally changes the ball game. I generally say if the placing is worth the risk then go hard on the attempts that count and take bigger jumps if you need to as people remember placings better than totals. Hence my last comp I went for more on Deads than I wanted to at the time as I was vying for top spots. Worth the risk.

Since it's your first comp I'd just say go conservative, hit some PBs, enjoy yourself and work up the ladder.

Tom should be able to help with your attempts a lot. That's part of what you pay him for lol

I haven't even considered beating anyone or who I'm even lifting with so that will be furthest from my mind for first comp . Just want to get all my 9 lifts, have a good day and not skitz out black out?.  At the same time I'd still like to near my training maxes to though. Being first comp I just don't wanna f*ck up .  Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I'm sure Thomas will suss me out to. 

If i was you then , and assuming you feel sweet on the day id try make your final lifts PB attempts and your 2nd lifts close to your training maxes. 

If you fail 3rd lifts no big deal if theyre relatively close to your 2nd lifts. Better imo than getting 9/9 relatively easily and wondering how much higher you could have gone when its not going to matter if you fail.

Good opportunity to set new pbs and you might surprise yourself with the comp atmosphere and all that bs.

2 minutes ago, PETN said:

If i was you then , and assuming you feel sweet on the day id try make your final lifts PB attempts and your 2nd lifts close to your training maxes. 

If you fail 3rd lifts no big deal if theyre relatively close to your 2nd lifts. Better imo than getting 9/9 relatively easily and wondering how much higher you could have gone when its not going to matter if you fail.

Good opportunity to set new pbs and you might surprise yourself with the comp atmosphere and all that bs.

True man good point.  Thanks. 

For me my best totals and meets have come when I've gone 8/9. Even if that means doing a certain lift at the same weight that's been done before. Or a 2.5kg pb if you can guarantee a 3rd it can put a bit on your total compared to if  you miss it. I always find I'm real conservative on squat as I'm a bit inconsistent with it. First meet open light and go 9/9 

6 minutes ago, Bigken1985 said:

For me my best totals and meets have come when I've gone 8/9. Even if that means doing a certain lift at the same weight that's been done before. Or a 2.5kg pb if you can guarantee a 3rd it can put a bit on your total compared to if  you miss it. I always find I'm real conservative on squat as I'm a bit inconsistent with it. First meet open light and go 9/9 

Interesting. For me ive found my best totals have come from when ive lifted more weight across the 3 lifts rather than from when ive gone 9/9. I wouldnt have done as many comps as you though i doubt as i only started a year ago.

Pretty awesome getting a PB in a comp though Skeletor. If youre there to enjoy yourself i reckon go for a few. By your 3rd lift you should be pretty confident with the calls and stuff and be ready for it.

What BeastBuilder said about going by feel and adjusting your attempts either up or down i would strongly agree with too. Better than pretty much having them set in stone pre-comp especially if youre not precisely sure what youre capable of before the comp which is usually the case for me on squats especially and deads also.

Only done one meet so I have no strategy  but in my meet my goal was to try go 9/9 and just get a feel for the atmosphere of competition. I wanted to learn about how to time warm ups, how to pick my attempts and just to see how the nerves were. If you're competing as a novice you cannot set records so I see no point in trying to.