Some progress pictures and advice wanted

PugRolla

Hi all, am new here and looking for some tips. I started working out last year with the guidance of a personal trainer. I train at home and have managed to stay mostly consistent with my exercise since September. Before this i hadn't really done any kind of training at all, other than school sports. I have a few niggly old injuries so i had to be careful to not aggravate those.

I started this with a mindset of wanting to change my whole lifestyle, not because i wanted to diet and lose weight. I wanted to have more energy and be healthier as a person. So the steps i have taken have been more gradual. I don't have any amazing before and after photos. My achievement is that i have been able to sustain my effort. Something that i haven't been able to do previously. I do a mix of HIIT and weight/strength training. I haven't changed my diet massively, mainly because i didn't eat heaps anyway. I am always looking for ways to eat healthier and improve my diet. I'm in it for the long haul so not keen on drastic changes.

I thought i'd share some pictures with you because i have been feeling a bit uncomfortable about my body lately, especially in regards to the fat i carry around my hip area. I know i shouldn't compare myself to others, but i am yet to see any other "fitness" person who has a body shape like mine. I assume that i am just carrying excess body fat?

Anyway i'd be keen to hear your thoughts. Be gentle as i'm pretty self conscious about it ;)

September 2015

First.jpg

March 2016

69c4d41e-dd44-4b24-9f68-12fbb0937133.jpg

f205b78f-d549-4725-a0b3-99a17d1dabea.jpg

Looks like whatever youre doing is working even if its perhaps not fast enough for your liking. But you say yourself youre after slow change.

Think carrying fat in that area is hormonal or something? But yeah as you get leaner you should lose it eventually.

this is so awesome, especially " I started this with a mindset of wanting to change my whole lifestyle, not because i wanted to diet and lose weight. I wanted to have more energy and be healthier as a person. "

you must remember you're your own worst critic, that's not necessary a bad thing all the time because it drives change (tho not always positive as I've found lol) . in my opinion you've done well, especially for someone who just trains at home. what do you do? not tryna be creepy 3rd pic looks hawt.

those fitness people just have lower body fat % and bit more muscle content, both of which you're already on your way to getting.  if you measure that part i'm sure it's come down already over the past few months. you might want to measure it again, put up a diet here so people can help you with the recommendations you're seeking and measure again on a monthly basis. also keep in mind those 'fitness' people aren't necessarily that way all year round, and the photos you see of the are from favourable angles and the best pick out of possibly hundreds of photos in a shoot. depends what shape you wanna take on but just a simple way of taking emphasis away from hips  is working on the v shape a bit - shoulders / back training.

Wtf lol you've lost a heap of fat good work. Best things I read in there was the not after drastic changes, in it for the long haul and training with weights also. Something a lot of people need to realise is crash diets only rebound you worse. Keep doing what you're doing .

Thanks all. I guess it's hard for me to look at my own pictures and see changes. I certainly feel a lot stronger, even if the scales haven't changed. Going to see if i can get my hands on some body fat calipers. I am definitely my own toughest critic, mostly because i used to be really thin as a teenager so it's been a bit of a shock to see my body shape change. It's made me super self conscious. 

Food wise i don't have a plan as such, mainly because i cook for my partner also so i have to think about what he would enjoy. I have just been trying to limit my sugar intake, drink lots of water and cook dinners myself so i can control what's in it. I get lazy sometimes and eat unhealthy things but i try not to be too hard on myself. I could prob do better in this area, but i'm working on it :) My breakfast i usually have overnight oats (1/3 cup oats, light soy milk, protein powder and frozen berries) or vogels bread with PB & banana. Lunch varies a lot depending on what i can be bothered preparing lol. Dinner is usually chicken/beef/fish with vegetables. I could just eat boiled chicken and vegetables and lose weight but that would be boring and my partner wouldn't be impressed! 

This is what i'm doing at the moment with exercise, although it's going to change again soon when i can catch up with my trainer. Finally got my pull up bar setup inside which should be fun ;) I have been rehabbing a shoulder injury so only recently been able to do upper body exercises. It was super exciting for me to manage a few full press ups yesterday. Never been able to do that before. I have a little home gym setup with an Exercycle, dumbbells and kettle bells, which i love. It's my happy place! I could do with buying some slightly heavier weights. People like to tell me to join the gym, but this is working for me right now.

Exercise 30-03-2016.jpg

Your definitely heading in the right direction. One comment would be why are you eating so low calories? Your intake must be around 1,200 calories a day? It sounds like your rather active with the strength and conditioning training. 

I would perhaps slowly introduce a snack or two something of nutritional value that is simple might be a can of tuna a shake or some sort of low fat yogurt (Greek yogurt). The idea would be to slowly introduce calories and adjust your metabolism. As it is now your got no leeway to manipulate you calories as they are almost non-existent.      

You haven't mentioned a lack of energy (might have missed that) but I would find it hard to believe you could function well on your intake. 

Starving yourself or drastically altering intake isn't a beneficial way for weight control and makes you more susceptible to binge eating or being deterred from your goal.

I wouldn't analysis these "fitness" people to much as they aren't all they appear to me in real life. Social media is a lot about illusion half these people aren't recognizable in person.

Keep on track and will achieve your goals.  

I forgot to mention I always have a protein shake after I exercise. I chuck a scoop in with some milk, water, a banana and some frozen berries. Sometimes some Greek yoghurt too if I have some in the fridge. I usually have some kind of snacks during the day, fruit, cruskits or some kind of bar. Depends on my mood. I'm certainly not depriving myself of food ;) 

Don't think my partner has really noticed but he's not the most observant sort haha

27 minutes ago, PugRolla said:

I forgot to mention I always have a protein shake after I exercise. I chuck a scoop in with some milk, water, a banana and some frozen berries. Sometimes some Greek yoghurt too if I have some in the fridge. I usually have some kind of snacks during the day, fruit, cruskits or some kind of bar. Depends on my mood. I'm certainly not depriving myself of food ;) 

Don't think my partner has really noticed but he's not the most observant sort haha

Jesus my missus notices everything its either F**k your getting fat when I'm trying to put on muscle  or F**k your getting skinny when I'm trying to cut, can't win lol your partner needs a slap I'm sure everyone else notices!

That's really good progress. Definitely should feel proud of yourself for how much you have accomplished on your own.

I think you should track your macros for a week (or atleast Thursday to Sunday) and come back to us, we can give better recommendations based on that. Also, how has progress been the last month and how does that compare to the month prior?

In regards to your hips, there is still fat to be lost but you look to have a wide pelvis so you can only do so much in the way of size. Don't stress that too much. You can't change genetics. If you could, my screen name wouldn't be Manlet.

It's hard to notice the changes when you live with someone and see them all the time. I hadn't really been able to notice the difference myself except my thighs seemed to have a bit more muscle and have noticed the start of definition around my stomach/abs.

I hadnt really thought about macros. It's a term I have seen thrown around but never really understood. Google has informed me tho. Am on a little holiday at the moment, staying with family. Really miss my exercise routine at home though! 

Will update this thread next week with more info on my diet. Cheers :) 

So I have been tracking my food for the past 5 days using myfitness pal. Calculated what my macros should be using an online calculator. Biggest thing I realised I day one that I was eating LOTS of fat. I also started having a protein shake prior to my exercise instead of just after. 

The online macro calculator suggested I needed 165g of protein, 165g carbs and 37g of fat daily. 

My weeks macros...

Monday

protein: 107g

carbs: 79g

fat: 49g

Tuesday

protein: 71g

carbs: 131g

fat: 35g

Wednesday

carbs: 99g

fat: 30g

Thursday

protein: 122g

carbs: 113

Friday

protein: 102g

carbs: 85g

fat: 24g 

That's just me eating without planning anything ahead, but roughly trying to reach target. With varied success ;) 

I appreciate your time and advise. I'm very much still learning! 

1 hour ago, PugRolla said:

So I have been tracking my food for the past 5 days using myfitness pal. Calculated what my macros should be using an online calculator. Biggest thing I realised I day one that I was eating LOTS of fat. I also started having a protein shake prior to my exercise instead of just after. 

The online macro calculator suggested I needed 165g of protein, 165g carbs and 37g of fat daily. 

My weeks macros...

Monday

carbs: 79g

fat: 49g

Tuesday

protein: 71g

carbs: 131g

fat: 35g

Wednesday

carbs: 99g

Thursday

protein: 122g

carbs: 113

Friday

protein: 102g

carbs: 85g

fat: 24g 

That's just me eating without planning anything ahead, but roughly trying to reach target. With varied success ;) 

I appreciate your time and advise. I'm very much still learning! 

Try be more consistent with your protein intake. Cycling your carb intake has been shown to improve fat loss so that being up and down may not be such an issue. Fats aren't really that high, they are really important for your health too.

I wouldn't drop cals any lower, would just increase training volume or frequency. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/03/2016 at 9:11 AM, PugRolla said:

Hi all, am new here and looking for some tips. I started working out last year with the guidance of a personal trainer. I train at home and have managed to stay mostly consistent with my exercise since September. Before this i hadn't really done any kind of training at all, other than school sports. I have a few niggly old injuries so i had to be careful to not aggravate those.

I started this with a mindset of wanting to change my whole lifestyle, not because i wanted to diet and lose weight. I wanted to have more energy and be healthier as a person. So the steps i have taken have been more gradual. I don't have any amazing before and after photos. My achievement is that i have been able to sustain my effort. Something that i haven't been able to do previously. I do a mix of HIIT and weight/strength training. I haven't changed my diet massively, mainly because i didn't eat heaps anyway. I am always looking for ways to eat healthier and improve my diet. I'm in it for the long haul so not keen on drastic changes.

I thought i'd share some pictures with you because i have been feeling a bit uncomfortable about my body lately, especially in regards to the fat i carry around my hip area. I know i shouldn't compare myself to others, but i am yet to see any other "fitness" person who has a body shape like mine. I assume that i am just carrying excess body fat?

Anyway i'd be keen to hear your thoughts. Be gentle as i'm pretty self conscious about it ;)

September 2015

First.jpg

March 2016

69c4d41e-dd44-4b24-9f68-12fbb0937133.jpg

f205b78f-d549-4725-a0b3-99a17d1dabea.jpg

You've done extremely well so be proud of what you've achieved so far! 

The best thing is you haven't done some crazy crash diet that will cause your body to just add weight back on quicker than you lost it too.

Don't be afraid to critique yourself but be sure to commend yourself it's hugely important to know when you have done something to be proud of.

Agree about keeping protein intake a little more consistent but other than that diet looks and sounds good for a steady progress plan :)

Your hips are naturally wider as a woman and you store more body fat both internally and externally around the mid section and it's all to do with child bearing. Work with your hips, increase the size of your glutes (although they don't look out of proportion anyway) and embrace natural curvature.

In regards to your partner I wouldn't worry I'm sure he probably does notice but is just letting you get on with it and you are right when you live with someone you don't see it as much.

If you want to shift fat a little quicker maybe try cardio before breakfast as this will target fat quicker, but aside from that you're doing well so keep it up and I'm sure everyone on this forum is here to help each other :)

Thanks for the advice. I got a little bit of a shock when i stood on the scales and discovered i'd lost 3-4kg in just over a month, and gone down about a cup size...

My partner has now since said to me a look a lot smaller. I'm hoping i haven't lost muscle! Kind of torn now because i really did like my breast size prior to this, but then i'm starting to get really happy with my overall look/condition/body size/whatever you want to call it. 

I have a new training schedule which has a lot more glute exercises and upper body which i haven't done a lot of up until now. 

My partner recently dropped a fair amount of weight and whilst she did lose some breast size they're still proportionately right cos she's smaller everywhere. She's loving buying new clothes and feeling fitter so the trade off for her is awesome and of course it means she's happier in general which means I don't get told off as much ha ha ha 

On 5/05/2016 at 10:06 AM, PugRolla said:

Kind of torn now because i really did like my breast size prior to this, but then i'm starting to get really happy with my overall look/condition/body size/whatever you want to call it. 

Haha! It's a good problem to have, though.

That's awesome, Pugrolla. Pleased to hear it's still working for you. :-)

I think I have gone down from a D to a C. My partner has lost a bit of weight too, just with me cooking slightly different. Healthier dinners.   Am really sick at the moment with a nasty cold (thanks to my flatmate). Has aggravated my asthma quite badly. Very sad not to be able to do any work but got to let my bod fix itself. 

Attached an updated pic

image.jpeg

Wow! Massive difference!

When you started, you said:

On 29/03/2016 at 10:11 PM, PugRolla said:

i am yet to see any other "fitness" person who has a body shape like mine.

Do you feel like your body shape is becoming more like the typical "fitness person" shape? ie, the difference is simply fat storage, rather than anything structural? Because as you lose the fat, it seems to me like you're well on track to achieving that look.

Hard to say. Seem to be heading in the right direction at least! I used to think maybe it was that my hips were wider but now if be more inclined to say that perhaps I just have a shorter torso? 

Am just trying to focus on being the best that my body can do, rather than waste too much energy comparing myself to others :)

Had my body fat % estimated at 17%