Shaving??? When to start, and maintaining.. help

So for those that don't know, I'm a dude. First things first.

Anyways I want to compete either later this year or next year.
I have hairy legs and normal arm hair. Not very dark or unnattractive. Just, ya know, hair.....
My torso I dont have much hair (hardly any on back naturally) and just a patch on my chest and a happy trail. So i've been shaving my anterior torso for a couple years now every few weeks or so.

SO, when should I start shaving my legs? If I'm going to divulge myself into this sport and plan for the future I figure I should start soon but am hesitant. I read if you dont shave until prep than it may mentally mess with you because you'll look smaller once you shave?  What is the upkeep like? Do your legs become cactuses for in bed with girls lol? Do you guys (who shave) buzz or shave with a razor... ect

Then theres arms of course. But legs are my main concern, being so much more hair and body surface. I know once I pull the pin on this grenade it will have to be a regularly upkept grooming habit.

If anything I think being shaven makes you look a heap more muscular. Easier to wax bro. Go to like Studio 31 and get a full body wax. They do around your ding dong if you want to. Then you just have to go back every 3 weeks or so. I've never had it done but they have a shite load of guys now apparently. 

Shaving is something you should do a week or so before comp just to see how your skin reacts. Then again before you start applying your tan. Waxing is also an option but you might find you get ingrown hairs and or have a bad skin reaction to waxing so do that maybe 4 weeks before the comp then you can do it again a few days pre comp if there's no adverse reaction the first time. 

The thing to take note of is that shaving or waxing traumatizes your skin and you might find it makes you hold a film of water. So you might want to do it at least a couple of days before show day to make sure your skin is all good. 

And if you're lean shaving only makes you look bigger. 

Kind of related funny story, went to rnv a few years ago with a mate, he's Greek and been hairy as a gorilla since 15. Anyway he had got in pretty good shape just for this festival so decided to get a wax so he could take his top off while we were there. He got it done the day before we went and broke out with the worst rash I've ever seen lol had to stay covered up the whole trip.

okay so i'm not doing waxing ever haha

trimmer on low settings one day i guess to see how it goes.

I'll only pull the trigger on a razor shave for my first actual prep probably somewhere halfway through it.

I'm around 10 percent BF now I think. I'd want to get that down before I actually did any big hair removal jobs. 

Good tips thanks

Laser if you can afford it. Provided you're a good candidate (dark hair, light skin works best) and you find a good practitioner, you can't beat it. I recommend these guys: http://www.aucklandlaserhairremoval.co.nz/

Failing that, wax if you want to be hair free (eg, for a competition). Or trim if you just want to be less hairy.

I found shaving caused me massive skin irritation and ingrowns. That makes sense, because by cutting the hair at the surface of the skin, you leave a sharp pointed hair right at the level it's going to cause most trouble. Particularly if you've got thick or curly hair. IMO you're better to either remove the hair completely (laser/wax) or just trim it.

Oh, and shaving does not increase hair growth. That's an old wives' tail!

25 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Laser if you can afford it. Provided you're a good candidate (dark hair, light skin works best) and you find a good practitioner, you can't beat it. I recommend these guys: http://www.aucklandlaserhairremoval.co.nz/

Failing that, wax if you want to be hair free (eg, for a competition). Or trim if you just want to be less hairy.

I found shaving caused me massive skin irritation and ingrowns. That makes sense, because by cutting the hair at the surface of the skin, you leave a sharp pointed hair right at the level it's going to cause most trouble. Particularly if you've got thick or curly hair. IMO you're better to either remove the hair completely (laser/wax) or just trim it.

Oh, and shaving does not increase hair growth. That's an old wives' tail!

Any idea of the approx cost of having that laser hair removal done Pseudonym? Also is it permanent? 

22 hours ago, PETN said:

Any idea of the approx cost of having that laser hair removal done Pseudonym?

Not really. I had it done ages ago, and I think the cost's come down a lot since then. (Back then I was living with my parents and had a disposable income... those were the days!)

Unfortunately the website above seems to have missed off legs from his price list (must be an oversight, because I'm sure he does them). I suspect the price per session is now maybe 2-3x the cost of waxing? And you generally need maybe 6 or so sessions.

22 hours ago, PETN said:

Also is it permanent? 

The answer to that is "Yes, but..."

Laser works by damaging the hair follicle. Provided the follicle is damaged enough (ie they've put enough energy into it to completely fry the bulb) then yes, it's permanent for that hair. However, laser only works on hairs that are in an active growing phase, and at any one time you have hairs in different phases of the cycle. That means you'll need to go back over multiple sessions and zap the remaining hairs as they come through their active growing phase.

Also, your body produces new hair follicles as you get older - particularly if you're male, and particularly if you've got boosted testosterone levels. Even if you were completely hair free, some new hairs eventually develop. So you may need some follow-up sessions down the track.

That said, my experience has been pretty damn good. Ten years on, I'm starting to see a return of hair on my upper legs, but still it's nothing like it was pre-laser. (Turning 30 seemed to be the trigger for me. I also got a bit of hair growth on my back, too. Not happy about that!) Lower legs are still virtually hairless.