How much can chickens bench?

Pseudonym

No, of course that's not a serious question. Everyone knows chickens are better on the pec deck machine and cable flies... :-p

But seriously, their power to weight ratio must be pretty good. They've been bred to have bigger chests that most other birds, and are one of the least aerodynamic.

Just a random thought that occurred to me as I prepared my dinner tonight.

Generally as things get smaller their power to weight ratio increases due to when scaling things down volume (and as a result weight too) decreases more than cross sectional area (e.g. of limbs etc). Cross sectional area is related pretty closely to strength. The opposite is true as things get larger.

Thats why supposedly if you scaled an ant up to human size it couldnt even support its bodyweight.

Also when dealing with small things intramolecular forces play a much larger role than in much larger things. An example of this is a drop of water able to hang upside down on something but impossible to do with say 1000 litres of water as  (among a couple of other factors) intramolecular forces (polarity of water molecules) are now weak compared to force of gravity exerted on the much larger mass of water.

Those chickens are fucked though. Can hardly even walk and stuff because theyve been bred and pumped with hormones to be huge. I dont imagine they would come close to being able to fly or anything and id say a smaller more wild type one (or a duck or goose that actually flies a lot) would have a better power to weight ratio.

9 hours ago, PETN said:

Those chickens are fucked though. Can hardly even walk and stuff because theyve been bred and pumped with hormones to be huge. I dont imagine they would come close to being able to fly or anything and id say a smaller more wild type one (or a duck or goose that actually flies a lot) would have a better power to weight ratio.

So now we're discussing natty vs gassed chickens? Hahahaha

Watching Soundsgood in his gorilla costume got me more curious to know what a gorilla or chimpanzee could bench considering they say a chimps strength is equivalent to that of 8 men. You watch their physical strength at the zoo, it's unreal. Could be some big world records falling. Would they allow a trained chimp to enter a GPC comp? 

We would certainly welcome a trained Gorilla to lift at a GPC meet as long as we had safety measures in place to protect both the Gorilla and the other people at the meet.  I would probably discourage the use of ammonia before each lift as it may cause the Gorillas primal instinct to go into overdrive and be too unpredictable.

It definately would be interesting to see what they could total as there's no doubt they are strong but the lifts would have to be completed to the required standard.  Gorillas are built structurally different to humans out of the necessities of their lifestyle

A gorilla would struggle to maintain balance if it tried to press a weight greater than its own bodyweight overhead. Its legs don't have the right balance of stabilizing muscles, its back is not erect enough, and its arms are too long. An overhead press fortunately isn't a powerlifting movement but these disadvantages would surely flow thru to the over movements. 

Certainly the Gorillas best movement would be the Deadlift.  With an average height of 5'8 and an arm span of 8ft their ROM would be minute.  I would estimate a healthy strong trained 180kg gorilla would be able to deadlift in the vicinity of 800kg which would be unbeatable in terms of both the number pulled and also Glossbrener score.  It would be interesting to see if they had any issues with lockout of back and knees seeing as they are not really designed to stand upright like humans.  This could be brought up to the refs before a meet and taken into consideration before the lift commenced not unlike other lifters who have had dispensation granted for not hitting full lockout for other issues. 

Benchpress would be a very interesting movement to watch.  On one hand the gorilla has enormous chest strength but with extremely long arms, arms not as well built as rest of body and hands/wrists that may have issues With the bigger load then it could go either way.  Surely they would have no issue bench pressing 300kg-350kg but I'm not sure they would go too far past 400kg without some serious training. 

The squat is a bit Unknown.  Gorillas walk on all fours  so the squat movement is not really natural.  In saying that they have short legs so wouldn't be a huge ROM and mobility is no issue so squatting to depth would be easy.  I would estimate around 400-450kg for your average 180kg healthy gorilla and maybe the odd freak Gorilla with training hitting closer to 600kg. 

So so I would expect a total of around 1500-1600kg at 180kg Bodyweight which would be pretty much unbeatable ASSUMING they didn't bomb due to technicalities 

1 hour ago, soundsgood said:

On one hand the gorilla has enormous chest strength but with extremely long arms, arms not as well built as rest of body and hands/wrists that may have issues

I don't know about that. Their arms are long, but they're bloody massive! After all - they carry their weight around on them all day.

I was looking for a suitable photo to demonstrate, and found this:

main-qimg-78d80fea5ea8c363105fc6db4f9ce7

Admittedly, he's using the old trick of pressing your biceps to make them seem bigger, but they're still pretty impressive guns.

And quite by chance, the page that photo was on happened to be the same discussion we're having now...

https://www.quora.com/How-much-can-a-silverback-gorilla-bench-press

16 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I don't know about that. Their arms are long, but they're bloody massive! After all - they carry their weight around on them all day.

I was looking for a suitable photo to demonstrate, and found this:

main-qimg-78d80fea5ea8c363105fc6db4f9ce7

Admittedly, he's using the old trick of pressing your biceps to make them seem bigger, but they're still pretty impressive guns.

And quite by chance, the page that photo was on happened to be the same discussion we're having now...

https://www.quora.com/How-much-can-a-silverback-gorilla-bench-press

If that's his squat depth I'm impressed.