Some thoughts for the future..

d3ft0n3s

Right, been training a while now, with remote assistance / mentoring from Maccaz who has been fantastic.

The number 1 goal is weight and fat loss.

What i have been doing is 5X5 Stronglifts and have been slowly dropping cals and carbs as lifting goes on, Started in NOvember, had a big break over Xmas where i couldnt train due to family holidays etc, hit it hard from end of jan till now, still hittin it hard, possibly harder..

My current macros sit at P200C200F60 (started at around P200C320F60)

All sets done with appropriate warm up first via stronglifts app guidance. Rest is 60 seconds or so per set, 1m30 if i almost failed.

My lifts are

Squat 107.5 (gettin to the point where i feel like i might snap / its harder to do working sets)

OHP 50 (keep failing, have a weak shoulder due to dislocation a long time ago)

BOR 77.5

BP 75

DL 110

Started doing chin ups and dips as assistance.

The question is this, im 174cm, 32 and 100kg, the scale weight hasnt really changed, mirror i look a bit better, i wanna loose my guts, i look fat, not just a little.

Maccaz suggested more gym work, can people help out with what exactly? I can train probably 6 days in 9 possibly more, i work a 3 days 3 nights 3 off rotation, truck driver for the big company that moves milk who i cant name but im sure you get it.

I have also started doing some cardio, which i mix between walking, rowing, eliptical, cycling, and climb a mountain when i can (we have one close thats 1200M, done it twice now, great buzz).

If anyone thinks im F**king something up, please say, or can explain why i havent seen the scale move or if i should even expect it to please let me know.

Also if anyone has more questions, or wants more info to help please ask and ill answer. Id really like to drop to 80kg, im not worried about being super huge or ripped or anything just fit and not fat :)

Maccaz yeah it may seem like that but sometimes it's just good to know I'm going down the right path and I thank you for your input and apologize for the bombardment. ☺

Bang bang yeah hopefully, question is to the point I will see it on the scale or just mirror?

Harry, so up protein to 220? Can you elaborate on how I would carb cycle? And would fasted cardio cause me to loose any lean body mass?

Thanks for input so far. Probably come across as a bit of a dick, but im just trying to achieve and I respect the advice and opinions of you guys.

Yes I'd put your protein up to 220 and I'd do a 4 day cycle 1 high 1 med and 2 low ranging from 200 down to 150. The idea is just to make your body work a bit harder doing what it normally does. Fasted cardiovascular won't make you lose muscle. Unless you do hours of it. I'd say 20 mins 3 times a week. Then just set your variables and see what your body does and adjust from there.

OK I'll give that a shot thanks Harry.

If I'm going climbing should I introduce more carbs on that day? Typically three to five hours up and two to three back or just see if I can do it with normal food and let body chew through the fat?

And one last question. My fitness pal, so what is the correct macros for beef schnitzel uncrumbed? Around 30p6f per 100g? I find some of its a bit inconsistent and hard to get a true measure. Is there somewhere that tells you whats what as far as meat goes? Or Is all red meat the same? I know probably dumb question

1 hour ago, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

do take measurements and pics because it's not always easy to see results on yourself

Also because before and after pics are good for Photo of the Month.

1 hour ago, d3ft0n3s said:

If I'm going climbing should I introduce more carbs on that day? Typically three to five hours up and two to three back or just see if I can do it with normal food and let body chew through the fat?

You wouldn't do this on a weight training day though, right? If you're carb cycling as per HarryB's suggestion, I'd just try to time your climbing with a high carb day. And then maybe take some extra carbs along - just in case you hit the wall!

Just a note on the carb cycling - I found it quite tricky to stick to. If you're having compliance issues like me, you could look at ways of simplifying it (eg, have your general diet the same, and use a post-workout carb meal to increase it on training days).

1 hour ago, d3ft0n3s said:

My fitness pal, so what is the correct macros for beef schnitzel uncrumbed?

I'd just put it in as rump steak.

Just a quick update, actioned what was suggested and seem to be improving again, although some days I feel pretty drained. Side note yesterday I went through 6.5l water. Destroyed my ohp plateau and everything else coming along nicely. Have started cardio every other day either 30 mins rowing, or 20 mins Eliptical fasted. on days off plan on doing a longer mountain bike ride of around 1-1.5hrs. Am carb cycling which I don't find too bad, stomach definitely growling like f some mornings though.

Thanks for all suggestions if there are any others please let me know

Been doing some reading, probably not the best thing to do but anyway just thought I'd get some feedback. A lot of things I'm reading is saying go 200 below bmr. My bmr according to most calculators is between 1900 & 2100 cals a day.

Currently I consume around 2000-2300 cals a day. I reckon 1900 or 1700 is too low. Am I right? My physical weight seems fairly constant, 99kg. Even with cycling and doing low intensity cardio, even when I'm doing 220p150c60f there are periods of the day I feel emaciated and fucked. I do think I'm getting mirror change. Deloaded Squat 10% about three lifting days ago cause I felt it was getting too much for knees. Should I be changing exercises altogether? Or just add more assistance type?

I'm not saying nothing is happening I'm just crossing fingers I'm doing it right cause I would have thought scale weight should shift also. Or do I opt to not weigh?

Not quiting or getting cold feet!

On 2/04/2016 at 0:22 AM, d3ft0n3s said:

A lot of things I'm reading is saying go 200 below bmr.

Er, I'm not sure that simply going 200 below BMR would be right.

BMR is your Base Metabolic Rate - ie, the amount your body burns at rest. If you're a coma patient lying in bed all day, then just use the BMR. But presuming you're not, then you need to take your activity levels into account as well.

As a guide:

Sedentary (little or no exercise): BMR x 1.2

Lightly active (easy exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): BMR x 1.375

Moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): BMR x 1.55

Very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): BMR x 1.725

Extremely active (very hard exercise/sports and physical job): BMR x 1.9

That will give your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), aka your "maintenance level". And that's what you should use to subtract your calories from for your cutting diet.

OK. Makes sense. So if I am a relatively sedentary truck driver. Lift 3-4 times a week, cardio 3 times a week, which activity level do you think would fit best?

I'm pretty consistent with eating and lifting, muscle looks like it's developing, but scale weight doesn't really change. I would have thought given what I'm consuming, I would expect to see a drop? Or am I wrong?

Cheers for the more in depth explanation

It's not the same question.

And I'm asking cause I'm not really getting a straight answer. Even something like set your variables and adjust from there. How do I know what to adjust. On days I'm c150 I feel emaciated and fd. I don't believe I should go lower but scale weight isn't changing that's why I'm asking. I was interested in what pseudo had to say.

13 hours ago, d3ft0n3s said:

muscle looks like it's developing, but scale weight doesn't really change. I would have thought given what I'm consuming, I would expect to see a drop? Or am I wrong?

If you're seeing changes in the mirror, then that's where it matters. You may not see changes on the scale if you're gaining muscle while you lose fat - they could just cancel each other out.

At a very rough guess, I'd say your ~2300 cals sounds about right. I wouldn't be too quick to lower it anyway.

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

If you're seeing changes in the mirror, then that's where it matters. You may not see changes on the scale if you're gaining muscle while you lose fat - they could just cancel each other out.

At a very rough guess, I'd say your ~2300 cals sounds about right. I wouldn't be too quick to lower it anyway.

ok thats cool and thanks

My main worry is im actually more sedentary than i estimate, hence no scale loss.

I read this.....

http://rippedbody.jp/complete-diet-nutrition-set-up-guide/

As recommended by yourself in another thread, it seemed to make sense, it would also imply that i havent been consuming enough fats. My fat intake is generally only 43-55g, but it suggests anywhere from 65-90g based on my LBM. *edit* fair to say i should have been consuming more fats?

Following that i also calculated through the navy seal method that my LBM is 69kg, and my total weight being 99kg, giving me a depressingly high BF% of 29.9%

Should i just be focusing on overall cals not macros as the guide suggests? i did find interesting what he said about water and fat cells filling. however i havent yet experienced the woosh. What i have adjusted in my diet from reading this is, increased fats, added vegetables to every applicable meal (I was having them with tea, but added some to lunch), added some fats, added fruits (banana at breakfast, apple at lunch).

Good idea, bad idea? should i bother to adjust anything? my problem is, i reckon 150 Carbs is pretty low, and am i going to have to drop more if and when the weight drops, if so, im going to have f all room to move, i reckon i could get it down to 80, but thatd be the end of the line.

Thoughts Pseudo?

Maccaz im just trying to gain greater undrestanding and make it sustainable.

On 7/04/2016 at 3:37 PM, d3ft0n3s said:

Thoughts Pseudo?

There are other people much more qualified to comment than me, bro. But here are my thoughts, for what they're worth...

- You'll find that as you dig deeper into the specifics of diet, you will hear conflicting advice. Get used to it. Generally people can agree on how to calculate calories, because that's just maths - it's pretty black and white. But once you split that into macros, things get a whole lot murkier.

- Here's my own recent experience... I was on about 2300cals (250p, 170c, 70f), but had hit a plateau and wasn't seeing progress. I kept the calories more or less the same, but lowered the fat and increased the carbs to 245p, 200c, 55f. Suddenly I started getting leaner again. Would you see the same result? I don't know... maybe.

I agree. Play with the numbers and see what happens. Essentially this is what I do before I reduce numbers in someone's diet once they get to a certain low point.  What I would look at specifically is dropping carbs under 100 but upping fats so your totals are around where they are now and see what happens. 

4 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Harry, have you got a theory on why the change I made (actually the opposite of your suggestion) worked? I know I based it on something I'd read - and it worked - but buggered if I can remember why now!

OK I'm making the assumption you have an active lifestyle and a high requirement for carbs (quicker metabolism) so your body takes better to carbs as an energy source. Some people (slower metabolisms and sedentary lifestyles) operate better on fats. Now if you're the latter you need to actually drop carbs low enough for fats to come into play and be metabolized for energy. I'm taking the truck driving lifestyle to be the key here. Next I'd reduce the protein as people with slower metabolisms (myself) do OK without the high protein diets. 

My addendum is I'm drunk lol so.... yeah