Deadlifting hand position

Is the over and under hand grip position only used to prevent the bar from rolling in deadlifts?  I ask because I use straps, and I wonder if the over-under is still necessary and/or preferred from a technique perspective.

Also, I am refraining from using my belt, as I read somewhere that you shouldn't until you've exceeded your natural ability to "keep it all together".  Am I exposing myself unnecessarily to injury or doing the right thing?  I don't use it shrugging either.

2 hours ago, Skeletor said:

If you use straps then use whatever grip you like.  

Second this.

There are some strong motherfuckers that can do double overhand on Deadlifts with out straps.

As far as a belt goes, the reasoning given to you is a load of shit. I don't use one but that is because I have never felt comfortable doing so. However, the studies on the benefits of using them vs not are solid.

25 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Over/under grip is purely for having a stronger hold of the bar. If you are using straps it completley voids the need for using an alternate grip. Even if you are a competitive powerlifter. I would never think to use straps and alternate my grip. It makes no sense.

Do you think theres any disadvantages to using mixed grip with straps? I do all my deads mixed, straps or no straps but only reason for doing so with straps is because i did mixed without straps prior to owning/using straps so was used to doing it that way.

2 hours ago, Old Bull said:

Agree with Skeletor on the straps,  on the second question what are you deadlifting for PL, BB, Sports,  General Strength. 

BB - but until my technique is rock solid I'm unlikely to really lift more than I can move for 6-8 reps.

2 hours ago, PETN said:

Do you think theres any disadvantages to using mixed grip with straps? I do all my deads mixed, straps or no straps but only reason for doing so with straps is because i did mixed without straps prior to owning/using straps so was used to doing it that way.

Yeah, potential imbalance in hypertrophy, hip torque, exposing bicep for no reason. Can't really think of any advantages to doing it either which is basically a disadvantage in itself.

i trained from sept last year until February this year using straps with double overhand for all my deadlifts.... And woo laa

If I was bodybuilding I would never do deadlifts without straps and I wouldn't do them with a mixed grip either.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Englishman88 said:

Never train mixed grip if going heavy you're asking for a bicep tear.

In terms of a belt I never used one before, have started doing so now when going for 1rm but not always.

Like how heavy? I do mixed with straps because I've always done mixed grip and pull mixed in comp. When i do double overhand with or without straps feels weird as f*ck.

Havent torn bicep yet on deads but guess theres always a first time,  so might have a go on some lighter sets getting used to double overhand. Might make body bit less asymmetrical.

2 hours ago, PETN said:

Like how heavy? I do mixed with straps because I've always done mixed grip and pull mixed in comp. When i do double overhand with or without straps feels weird as f*ck.

Havent torn bicep yet on deads but guess theres always a first time,  so might have a go on some lighter sets getting used to double overhand. Might make body bit less asymmetrical.

I'm talking like max lifts 1 rep stuff really. I do mixed hand for reps but I do 4 sets and switch the hand position each time. 

2 hours ago, PETN said:

I also don't use straps as it weakens my wrists I prefer to strengthen my grip whenever possible as it helps transfer power :)

6 hours ago, Englishman88 said:

I also don't use straps as it weakens my wrists I prefer to strengthen my grip whenever possible as it helps transfer power :)

Ive never had that issue with a 1rm from using straps on most sets in training. What happens if i dont use them is i inevitably end up ripping off callouses on heavier sets.

Straps are the most underrated piece of kit. People think they make it easier. It makes it harder infact. Using straps give you the ability to have a bigger work capacity which means more weight for more reps. Which wouldn't be possible without them. If anyone says to me they can do the same without straps then they probably just have a really weak back as opposed to really Strong grip

Just now, Realtalk said:

Straps are the most underrated piece of kit. People think they make it easier. It makes it harder infact. Using straps give you the ability to have a bigger work capacity which means more weight for more reps. Which wouldn't be possible without them. If anyone says to me they can do the same without straps then they probably just have a really weak back as opposed to really Strong grip

this.

better to get say 5x5 and use straps on last 2 sets, than get 3x5 and throw in towel cos hands are cooked

Just now, Realtalk said:

Yeah, im in your camp. straps mean your pulling double overhand too, which i find way even back development and less injuries. also if you learn hook grip for a 1rm, grip strength dont matter anyway

9 hours ago, Realtalk said:

But then you are limiting yourself based on your grip strength. That's dumb, because your posterior chain is far stronger than your grip.

I'm not saying I never use them I choose when to use them and try not to use them on sets where I'm doing any more than 4 reps. I use chalk which for me works better than straps although it rips my hands to bits. I wouldn't say it's dumb because I'm not a power lifter I'm a bodybuilder so it's not always about 1rm's

38 minutes ago, Englishman88 said:

I'm not saying I never use them I choose when to use them and try not to use them on sets where I'm doing any more than 4 reps. I use chalk which for me works better than straps although it rips my hands to bits. I wouldn't say it's dumb because I'm not a power lifter I'm a bodybuilder so it's not always about 1rm's

your logic make no sense, as a bodybuilder you would want to tax your back muscles etc, rather than grip? and if your not a powerlifter why do you need to worry about grip as much as a pl as your not tested on it in a comp. higher reps are probably where they are more applicable tbh 

1 hour ago, Bigken1985 said:

your logic make no sense, as a bodybuilder you would want to tax your back muscles etc, rather than grip? and if your not a powerlifter why do you need to worry about grip as much as a pl as your not tested on it in a comp. higher reps are probably where they are more applicable tbh 

I understand what you mean but to tax my back muscles I prefer to isolate them and try keep waist thickness to a minimum. Grip is relevant for either pl or bb as it effects a lot of other lifts important for building muscle. Like I say I use chalk for my grip which helps. I get what you're saying higher reps it's extremely likely your grip will fail before anything, but being able to grip the bar with more force allows me to lift heavier be it over 1 or 12 reps than it does using straps.

3 minutes ago, Englishman88 said:

I understand what you mean but to tax my back muscles I prefer to isolate them and try keep waist thickness to a minimum. Grip is relevant for either pl or bb as it effects a lot of other lifts important for building muscle. Like I say I use chalk for my grip which helps. I get what you're saying higher reps it's extremely likely your grip will fail before anything, but being able to grip the bar with more force allows me to lift heavier be it over 1 or 12 reps than it does using straps.

call me unaware, but are deadlifts  not the best back builder ever. you would find it hard to find many that would disagree, even in the bb community

1 hour ago, Bigken1985 said:

call me unaware, but are deadlifts  not the best back builder ever. you would find it hard to find many that would disagree, even in the bb community

I'm not disagreeing about deadlifts being a very good back builder as they are, but they also thicken the waist and as someone that competes in classic I need a tiny waist which if I did deads regularly that wouldn't be the case. I tend to cycle them into my training. The point i'm making is that grip strength is hugely important for other lifts as it allows for more transfer of power. I used to use straps and also didn't wrap my thumb round on the bench but since strengthening my grip its allowed me to lift more and build more muscle.