NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Pseudonym

Taupo ironman completes bike leg without seat

holy crap man! that really is the definition of true grit. gave up all the benefits of that tri bike basically just a heavy fancy looking thing without being able to sit back in the aero position. must have superhuman willpower and lactic acid flushing ability ay, especially around taupo course.

3 hours ago, shane said:

Have been doing this type of training  find it  awesome but need to rest after workouts more, it is taxing

you training for ironman bro? not that ill ever do it but curious what that training regiment looks like. must be intense as fk

6 hours ago, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

you training for ironman bro? not that ill ever do it but curious what that training regiment looks like. must be intense as fk

You do a bit of cycling dont ya? how long do ya usually pump off the seat?

Some how my post ended up under this cycling one was intended for giant sets not sure how i got here ?so sorry to mislead anyone on cycling training

9 hours ago, Bruce Al said:

You do a bit of cycling dont ya? how long do ya usually pump off the seat?

personally i'm more of a seated in aero position with higher cadence type rider, i keep an average of 90-100 RPM steady over the entire course rather than grind it outta the saddle - everyones style is a bit different. only time i get outta saddle is when grinding up the hills and my gear selection doesn't allow for me to keep up the cadence (so i rotate position to distribute load through diff muscles), something like 20-30 sec out, 20-30seconds in saddle, rinse and repeat.  sometimes ther is significant crying involved depending on the length of the climb and the gradient.

On 3/16/2016 at 5:14 PM, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

personally i'm more of a seated in aero position with higher cadence type rider, i keep an average of 90-100 RPM steady over the entire course rather than grind it outta the saddle - everyones style is a bit different. only time i get outta saddle is when grinding up the hills and my gear selection doesn't allow for me to keep up the cadence (so i rotate position to distribute load through diff muscles), something like 20-30 sec out, 20-30seconds in saddle, rinse and repeat.  sometimes ther is significant crying involved depending on the length of the climb and the gradient.

Sorry for the offtopic question but have you seen Durianrider on youtube? Not a huge fan of the vegan community but durian seems confronting of the bullshit in sport, especially cycling. 

Also what is your gear selection for your bike? I am, well at least I was, a very avid cyclist myself so just curious. I love the higher cadence work, especially if you switch to it after years of grinding. 

On 2/06/2016 at 10:28 PM, MiltonFriedman01 said:

Sorry for the offtopic question but have you seen Durianrider on youtube? Not a huge fan of the vegan community but durian seems confronting of the bullshit in sport, especially cycling. 

Also what is your gear selection for your bike? I am, well at least I was, a very avid cyclist myself so just curious. I love the higher cadence work, especially if you switch to it after years of grinding. 

yup used to watch him but he talks a lot of crap ay, get tired of the constant whinging lol. i didnt select my gear as such, it's standard crankset 52/39 i , 9 speed 11-27 cassette. didnt know about that stuff when i got bike. if i had known, would have gotten a compact crankset with a 32 on the back. anywya, dont ride that much these days so its fine. if had cash laying around would look at one of the new 11 speed 105s with compact cranks

I don't know enough about cycling to know whether this is relevant to the conversation or not, but I'm going to throw it in here anyway... :-D

We were talking about the Shimano Alfine internal gear system at work the other day, and this video blew my mind. (The best bit starts at about 1 minute in)