NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
cory_huges

Nar Labs debate

Pretty sure I went through like 5 or 6 boxes. Managed to get a couple after they got banned to.  So expensive though. My first ever sup stack . Halodrol liquigels,  novadex xt,  Size on and superpump 250. Got the mass runs the first time I tried superpump. Didn't even make it to the gym.

6 hours ago, Flex said:

Psuedo you have sponsors, NZprotein, Horleys and NZMuscle etc- you couldn't maintain those and be independent at the same time. You can't be affiliated without endorsing them. Would you release horleys test results if it meant you would lose advertising?

if they didn't like the findings they could drop the affiliation with the forum or they could just drop the shit products they sell instead..

10 hours ago, Flex said:

How do you prove it's true and completely independent? What integrity and reputation do you have to back up that results and ensure you haven't tainted the product and/or modified it / and used a completely independent test that can stand up to rigorous analysis.

Yep, we absolutely need to be able to prove the result is true, and the product hasn't been tainted. But I see that as simply being a matter of getting the right systems in place so we've got the proof of that as defence should it ever be questioned. In terms of integrity and reputation, I think Gymnation is pretty damn good on that score. And yes, the tests would be conducted by an independent, accredited food lab.

And then you gotta ask yourself - what difference will it make?

I'm not under any illusions about this - I'm sure some people will still believe the word of a sponsored athlete over an independent lab test. But I also think this information should be available to them, should they want to know it. And plenty of people DO want to know it - supplements are one of our most searched-for keywords.

10 hours ago, Flex said:

Psuedo you have sponsors, NZprotein, Horleys and NZMuscle etc- you couldn't maintain those and be independent at the same time. You can't be affiliated without endorsing them.

Well, it's really only NZMuscle that we have an ongoing sponsorship arrangement with. (We worked with Horleys a lot because their then marketing manager kept saying yes to our requests - and hopefully that will continue with their new marketing manager - but it was only on an ad hoc basis.)

I think we can have both sponsors and independence at the same time. In fact, it's written into the manifesto on our About Us page:

We’re completely independent and impartial – and proud of it.

It’s hard to find trustworthy information in the fitness industry. It used to be bodybuilding magazines that were full of hype and advertorials masquerading as fact. Today, that’s social media. The bias and misinformation hasn't changed – just the way it’s delivered.

At Gymnation, we’re objective and impartial. We’re not owned by any sporting association, supplements company or gym. These organisations may purchase advertising on the site, but they have no influence on its content.

If a product or service is flawed, our members are allowed to say so. There’s no censoring of opinions here (unless a post breaches our terms and conditions).

It's also explicitly written into our advertising terms and conditions:

14. Editorial Independence: The Advertiser acknowledges that Mass Media retains complete editorial freedom for Gymnation, and the Advertiser has no influence on any content beyond the scope of the Advertiser’s own Advertisements.

Would you release horleys test results if it meant you would lose advertising?

Absolutely.

And maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think any reputable company wouldn't expect us to fudge or hide the test results. Our sponsors understand that the value of Gymnation lies in the fact that it IS independent and trustworthy.

In fact, as an example of this, our editorial independence cost me an advertiser just the other day.

We'd had an enquiry from Crazy Bulk - a particularly dodgy supplement brand. Here's part of my rather blunt reply...

Please note that it is part of our conditions that your advert is not misleading in any way. Are you able to use the term “LEGAL STEROID”? Is the product a steroid, and is it legal in New Zealand?

I should also point out we have already discussed your product on our forum, and not all opinions were positive:
http://www.gymnation.co.nz/forums/topic/19616-body-building-supplements/
The independence of the forum is a very important part of our site, and so we would continue to allow discussion (positive and negative) about your product.

We do not do affiliate links.

Surprisingly, I haven't heard back from him yet. :-p

17 hours ago, PETN said:

I think narlabs is quite expensive harry although I havent bought it myself. Ask TLAF though as he must have bought a lot of it, im assuming, the way he used to go on about how it was the best and recommending it to everyone on here a couple of years ago.

Gosh did he? Perhaps he didn't pay for it and promoting it was one of the conditions. I know that's the case with ASN product over here. Some people!!! 

15 hours ago, Flex said:

As far as I can remember Horleys wanted to test a US made brand, I think it was EAS (First Nutrition). The horleys guy that purchased samples instore grabbed a few things. I'm pretty sure it all went pearshaped as  the other company (EAS?) ended up testing something from Horleys that didn't stack up (might have been the original Carbless bars)

My memory could be wrong here but im quite sure the bars used to be the only thing made off shore. - which Myer would have known.  @eLm0 may be able to shed some more light on this I thought NZ only had the facilities to make protein bars in the last 3-4 years? 

1 hour ago, mjd243 said:

My memory could be wrong here but im quite sure the bars used to be the only thing made off shore. - which Myer would have known.  @eLm0 may be able to shed some more light on this I thought NZ only had the facilities to make protein bars in the last 3-4 years? 

Hmm there's quite a few places you could get protein bars made, places that make muesli bars etc.

But tbh I have no idea where they were getting it made, sometimes it makes sense to get it done overseas, sometimes domestically.

We've got a pretty flash new bar line so Balance/Aussie Bodies/Musashi bars are being made out here in East Tamaki (Auckland)

It makes you wonder how many other protein brands are actually underdosed. Companies these days will try anything to cut costs, just to get a more competitive edge through conning the consumer into thinking it's legit, when in fact it ain't jack shit. 

Isn't that stuff just incredibly expensive "medical grade" protein powder?

BTW, the Givealittle video is a work in progress. My first attempt had the background beautifully sharp, and me completely out of focus. Well done, me. *sigh*

Unsure on the cost of it but think you can get it on script heavily subsidised.  Its more like a mass gainer than a protein powder. Think its like 30-50% protein from memory.

That's what they put you on when recovering from serious illness or muscle wasting diseases isn't it? Pretty sure it's one shake that has the complete nutrition required by the body and you can actually live off it alone. 

20 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Isn't that stuff just incredibly expensive "medical grade" protein powder?

BTW, the Givealittle video is a work in progress. My first attempt had the background beautifully sharp, and me completely out of focus. Well done, me. *sigh*

16 hours ago, Skeletor said:

That's what they put you on when recovering from serious illness or muscle wasting diseases isn't it? Pretty sure it's one shake that has the complete nutrition required by the body and you can actually live off it alone. 

Not sure what it costs, i get it for free through a relative as they get sent boxes of the shit. But yeah i thinks its for people who are not eating enough. (old dying people)

Id probably need to eat a tub off it a day to live off it.  1 serving is 8 scoops(smaller than your usual) + 200mls of water = 200cal.

20 hours ago, PETN said:

Unsure on the cost of it but think you can get it on script heavily subsidised.  Its more like a mass gainer than a protein powder. Think its like 30-50% protein from memory.

Yip its 5g per 100ml (23 g powder)

On 17 March 2016 at 7:54 AM, HarryB said:

Gosh did he? Perhaps he didn't pay for it and promoting it was one of the conditions. I know that's the case with ASN product over here. Some people!!! 

Wow someone has a good memory lol. Didn't get anything for free just got discounts on supplements as I was working for Moe at his gym. I did really like Nar Labs at the time too. It tasted great, mixed well and the macros were awesome. it's all the same stuff anyway based on it containing what it says it does on the label.

Why does anyone trust what Moe Moussawi puts in his products?

His whole company disguised the fact that Nar labs was an Xtreme Nutrition subsidiary. When the whole Craze scandal was going on, 3rd Degree tested the Nar Labs XSpeed Hardcore pre-workout and found DMAA in it, to which Moe's reaction was one of feigned shock and surprise. 

So a man who would hide an illegal PED in his own brand of pre-workout while lying to his customers would have no qualms with using fillers and lying about the contents of his protein. Trust no one in this industry of sharks and predators preying on people's insecurities and ignorance. 

Hi Johntheman, welcome to Gymnation.

I saw today that Amit and Moe appear to have put aside their differences, and kissed and made up. (Or at least in public...!)

I presume it's no co-incidence that you've joined today? Do you have any connection to either side?

No, no connection. Just someone who has become aware of some of the absolute pieces of shit in the fitness and bodybuilding community, particularly company owners who will jeopardise your health and wellbeing to make a quick buck and lie to you while doing it. 

I joined because I saw this debate about the legitimacy of the product and I don't think there should be one. Even the way it would mix, it was clear it was inferior. 

Selling it at the same price as Optimum Nutrition initially. Even the subtle tactics of getting you to smell the tub and taste to get you off Optimum and onto Nar Labs under the guise that it was better quality all while maintaining the ruse that it was another brand. f*ck Xtreme Nutrition

18 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Hi Johntheman, welcome to Gymnation.

I saw today that Amit and Moe appear to have put aside their differences, and kissed and made up. (Or at least in public...!)

I presume it's no co-incidence that you've joined today? Do you have any connection to either side?

I commented on this and just got deleted. So I'll just post here instead where it won't get removed. I guess only arse kissing is allowed. Wow let me tell you if someone tried to come between my wife and I or fiancé in my case they would be dead to me forever. Not to mention all the other crap that went on accusations of assault, threats, fraud, IP theift etc. 

so what is this saying about everything?

Was amits test of narlabs legit or was it a fraud?

So if it was legit then you are forgiving a guy for producing crap for the market you preech to everyone you care so much about and now standing by shit product?

Dude you seriously have no credibility and integrity. I know I come into your shop in Tauranga and buy supplements off you personally  but seriously wtf is this shit?

Explain yourself.

to me you both look as slimy as each other and your whole thing to discredit moe wasn't to aware people of dodgy dealing within the industry but only to push the agenda that suited you at the time. And now you are pushing another one cause it suits you right now!

and lol all the people supporting you saying good on you etc in that FB post are the sand people who abused moe when you last posted your negative position on him.... Seriously do these people not have minds if their own, talk about shit for brains. They're not supporting you they are just being nice to you on your FB. They are probably thinking wtf irl.

Idiots I honestly can't get over how stupid this shit is Lol