Doctor shred

wgtnmuscle

I'd recommend against either...

Dean Geddes would be my go to guy, been around a long time and worked with a number of guys who used to frequent this board. 

If youre a bigger guy, you want more than some cookie cutter diet from Champion Nutrition that would meet the calorie requirements of a 75kg kid. 

Dunno anything about Daniel Suckling so cant comment. 

Educate yourself. Ask some questions.. work out your own diet. It's not that complicated is it? Train hard, eat less calories than you need to maintain and you'll drop body fat. Do a comp under your own steam and you'll find its a lot more rewarding than paying a prep coach so they can tell you which supplements they're spruiking or system they use which they borrowed off someone else :)

Do you reckon, Harry? My advice has always been to do at least one comp under the guidance of a trainer.

I honestly think I would struggle to get myself ready for a show, when there's no flexibility in the deadline. You simply can't afford to be a week or two behind schedule. Hell, trying to getting shredded on my own now, I'm behind by an entire summer! :-D

(Admittedly, in the event of a comp, I'd probably be training/dieting a bit more seriously than I'm currently, but still...)

If you are serious about body building (l note you have been enquiring about online coaching / nutrition for a number of years on Gymnation) then you need a nutritionit who also knows body building. Again if you also want someone who is capable of taking you to national level,  maybe international then you need someone who is currently up to speed with international standards.

You would find it hard to go past Aylmer Porter who is an active member on this site and regularly travels to international competitions.

Just stating the obvious!

4 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

If you are serious about body building (l note you have been enquiring about online coaching / nutrition for a number of years on Gymnation) then you need a nutritionit who also knows body building. Again if you also want someone who is capable of taking you to national level,  maybe international then you need someone who is currently up to speed with international standards.

You would find it hard to go past Aylmer Porter who is an active member on this site and regularly travels to international competitions.

whats involved in being up to speed with international standards?

Well novice comp so yeah get some direction but do you need a full on prep coach? No.... and no don't go get someone who does international and top level athletes. Not because they don't know what they're doing.... of course they do. But because of cost. I think you can find someone who will give you guidance and not charge you an arm and a leg and you'll learn along the way. If you start off having your whole prep dictated to you you won't learn a single thing and you'll be reliant. 

Oh just read more and realized probably not a novice comp. This is what I encourage experienced types to do when coach shopping. Have your past prep plans on hand. Discuss what you felt worked and what you felt didn't and why. They should be able to discuss and should definitely understand whatever process you have used in the past. 

Have a frank discussion about what they do and how they prep their athletes. Make sure it's a system that is realistic for you and achievable. (You know what you can do, they don't)... as an extension make sure you actually like the coach. If he/she seems like a dick from the getgo then chances are you'll struggle after a while with dealing with them. 

Speak to people who have prepped with them, you'll always find people who won't be happy but the feedback should be mostly positive, if it isn't then there's a reason.

These things will give you some confidence moving forward with a coach. It amazes me how people just go and see someone and buy into their system without question. 

There's a few more things to be wary of... is your prospective coach attached to a supplement company... do they sell a system.. like a poliquin system or something else. That type of thing. 

23 minutes ago, DIANABOL said:

Harry - you dont buy into the whole accountability thing? 

Well there's accountability to yourself and then there's external. I buy into being accountable to yourself not so much the external. So what I suggest is record keeping and goal setting. A coach can be awesome with overseeing this aspect BUT the client is in charge of the application. And if they don't have will power then it's going to fail regardless of how awesome the coach is. Experience has taught me that a client is more inclined to follow protocol if they have some input and feel accountable to themselves. The problem is a lot of people expect the coach to be more invested in their process than they are. No one will ever care more about your success than you. 

11 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

1.gif~c200

Edited by jimmybro1
Found better gif

Come on guys... Rebel's entitled to recommend a trainer, just like everyone else has. We really don't need anyone being discouraged from posting right now - particularly when they're perfectly on topic.

And yes, Aylmer does make a point of accompanying his clients to a show, and helping them prep backstage. I don't know how many times he's done it internationally, but he does do it.

5 hours ago, maccaz said:

rebele what do you mean regularly travels to international competitions? you talking about the 1 time he went with you?

Not sure what the f*ck your problem is maccaz! But you seem to hate on every post that Rebele puts up. I don't know if its jealously (that a 57 year old grandmother has a better body than you'll ever have) or what it is......for the record Ive travelled times numerous times with clients competing over seas over the last 15 years (not just bodybuilders) as as Pseudonym stated above I always try to accompany clients to sporting events. But if you'd bothered to research anything about me you would know this. But you obviously would rather spend your time putting down others  (such as Rebele) whom have achieved more in last two years than you will achieve in your life time.

45 minutes ago, HumanPerformance said:

Not sure what the f*ck your problem is maccaz! But you seem to hate on every post that Rebele puts up. I don't know if its jealously (that a 57 year old grandmother has a better body than you'll ever have) or what it is......for the record Ive travelled times numerous times with clients competing over seas over the last 15 years (not just bodybuilders) as as Pseudonym stated above I always try to accompany clients to sporting events. But if you'd bothered to research anything about me you would know this. But you obviously would rather spend your time putting down others  (such as Rebele) whom have achieved more in last two years than you will achieve in your life time.

Lol get real.  been plenty supportive of rebele when its due. Often it is and other times its not.  Its perfectly reasonable to ask the reasoning behind statements that sometimes seem unfounded and she answers them well. Shes not offended so dunno why you are so mad. Apologies if i come across abrupt, sometimes i skim read and dont really care what i type.  Certainly have no intention of looking like rebele in my life m8 so not remotely jealous. 

Will leave it there. Rebel if i ever offend you pls let me know via pm. 

Human performance, peace. 

21 hours ago, HarryB said:

Well there's accountability to yourself and then there's external. I buy into being accountable to yourself not so much the external. So what I suggest is record keeping and goal setting. A coach can be awesome with overseeing this aspect BUT the client is in charge of the application. And if they don't have will power then it's going to fail regardless of how awesome the coach is. Experience has taught me that a client is more inclined to follow protocol if they have some input and feel accountable to themselves. The problem is a lot of people expect the coach to be more invested in their process than they are. No one will ever care more about your success than you. 

True - and in a perfect world personal accountability to myself is all I'd need. However (and you might not relate) when I'm hungry as f*ck, eating bugger all - it's easy to lie to yourself about where you are and what you might be able to get away with. 

Personally I couldnt do a comp without a coach - not that I'd ever do one again anyway. 

11 hours ago, maccaz said:

Lol get real.  been plenty supportive of rebele when its due. Often it is and other times its not.  Its perfectly reasonable to ask the reasoning behind statements that sometimes seem unfounded and she answers them well. Shes not offended so dunno why you are so mad. Apologies if i come across abrupt, sometimes i skim read and dont really care what i type.  Certainly have no intention of looking like rebele in my life m8 so not remotely jealous. 

Will leave it there. Rebel if i ever offend you pls let me know via pm. 

Human performance, peace. 

1557075-980x.jpg

I think whatever personal dislikes or differences people might have toward one another, one thing you can't argue about is the facts. One of the facts being that Aylmer's clients win or place very well. So he has credentials for training winners. 

No he isn't a 250lb bodybuilder with 7% body fat. So if you need the person you are choosing to  have that attribute then he probably isn't for you. But there are a hell of a lot of worse people you could employ as your coach/trainer. People who are all over your Facebook feed trying to shove their service down your throat are doing that for a reason. Because they have to to get bussiness. They are shit at what they do.

3 hours ago, DIANABOL said:

True - and in a perfect world personal accountability to myself is all I'd need. However (and you might not relate) when I'm hungry as f*ck, eating bugger all - it's easy to lie to yourself about where you are and what you might be able to get away with. 

Personally I couldnt do a comp without a coach - not that I'd ever do one again anyway. 

I absolutely understand that aspect and yeah for a lot of people a coach is a necessity to keep them on track. I guess what I'm saying is that in order for a coach to actually be effective the client has to have the drive and determination as well. Which is why if they are more informed and understand the process they are following there's a greater chance they'll follow it. They have to feel personal accountability because let's be honest... people lie to their coaches all the time. 

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

I absolutely understand that aspect and yeah for a lot of people a coach is a necessity to keep them on track. I guess what I'm saying is that in order for a coach to actually be effective the client has to have the drive and determination as well. Which is why if they are more informed and understand the process they are following there's a greater chance they'll follow it. They have to feel personal accountability because let's be honest... people lie to their coaches all the time. 

are you the type of coach that can always tell when someone is lying? 

• 1 year later...

So Dianabol...have you been to see me as a client have you?  you say our nutrition plans /diets are cookie cutter diets ,ask anyone who sees me for Nutrition if  I do cookie cutter plans.If you come to me for a consultation and nutrition plan I actually write the plan out at the time with the calories in front of the client,which they take with them ,so its hardly a cookie cutter plan ,If you purchase an online plan ,then it is personalised depending on the goals ,if you have seen one then you would realise they are not cookie cutter diets/plans .I dont usually say anything about myself or waht I have achieved or what titles my clients have achieved but you make me so angry to make a statement like that .I have had a part in 8 of the current NZ pro athletes nutrition ,also 3 current MR NZ Bodybuilders from INBA [Overall Bodybuilding] , IFBB [Classic PRO men] WFF [Overall bbodybuilding ]NABBA[overall bodybuilding] and 2 Current IFBB MR NZ title holders [mens physique and Classic men] as well as the Current INBA mens physique MR NZ [who also went to Nat Olympia and won Gold ,thats to name a few ask any federation and they will tell you Champion Nutrition always has quality athletes who make the overalls in every show they enter ,IN fact last year I had 122 Athletes compete sucessfully and over 80 first places , ask Alymer Porter ,since you seem to know him .I also have 15 world titles myself and a PNBA PRO card ,and also have pages of transformations on my website [true ones] ,so I dont need to write cookie cutter plans ,as i do have a bit of experience .. you may have seen or heard of a low calorie plan from me ,but probably dont know the circumstances ..a guy or girl that needs to drop a lot of weight or fat to make a comp/Fight ect  in a short time  and has a strict plan to get to that goal .so how many clients did you have compete or what have you won ?