Arnold Sports Festival

Skeletor

You guys been watching the Arnold Sports weekend?   Some unbelievable lifts going on . First Eddie hall pulling 465kg .  Then this .   Apparently Zahir has just squatted over 500kg this weekend in wraps to with video to come so will have to see on that one but these guys are just freaks . Awesome to watch 

Blaine also just set new IPF WR in Equipped Bench. Opener Raw 215kg, then went 375kg with shirt, then 401.5kg for new record.

Given how much everyone wanks on about lifts only counting if they're done in IPF cos they have proper judging I'm surprised at him getting his Bench. His lock out position at the end is soft compared to how he starts.

In to see Zahir's Squat. Wouldn't surprise me tbh, he's a crazy bastard. I just wanna see how many times he says f*ck in his celebration lol.

4 hours ago, BeastBuilder said:

Blaine also just set new IPF WR in Equipped Bench. Opener Raw 215kg, then went 375kg with shirt, then 401.5kg for new record.

Given how much everyone wanks on about lifts only counting if they're done in IPF cos they have proper judging I'm surprised at him getting his Bench. His lock out position at the end is soft compared to how he starts.

In to see Zahir's Squat. Wouldn't surprise me tbh, he's a crazy bastard. I just wanna see how many times he says f*ck in his celebration lol.

Yeah zahir is ok for the entertainment value. But he certainly is not on Blaines level. Blaine walks his squats out . Hits depth. There were some terrible looking multi ply squats at xpc finals tho

I wouldn't say he's not in Blaines league, history will remember both of them, they are both beasts 

Zahirs depth in comp is not too bad, wouldn't pass in IPF sure but it does in the fed he competes in.

Zahir squats 80 odd kilo more than Blaine in knee wraps as opposed to sleeves So have to give him credit for that Bigken

He's also 50kg lighter and has way better hair lol.  

Also walkouts are walkouts, not squats.  A squat competition is to see who can squat the most, not who can walk out the most in my eyes but you are entitled to your opinion.  #monosforlife.  

Yet to to see the multiply squats but I'm not surprised if they are average, that's what passes in some of the US equipped meets so I guess that's what they are used too.  I guess at least they are consistent, every meet they give whites to high squats?  So they are actually only comparing apples with apples ?

Also ironically the 'Lifting with Arnold' snapchat has no actual lifting in it.  For an event that promoted so many events and competitors why are they focused entirely on the bodybuilding which is the most boring thing at the Arnold's in my eyes.  Some of the powerlifting and strongman would have been awesome on there. 

So such thing as IPF depth.

There are only legal squats (squats that pass) and high squats.

you either squat to depth or you squat high.

For example - All squats that pass in gpc nz that are passed should pass in nzpf. If they wouldbt then they shouldn't be passed.

Simple, isn't it. No idea how or why it's such a controversial or confusing issue. It's really simple and makes you really question the intelligence of people involved in powerlifting sometimes at how it can be so debatable. 

Really needs to be some technology utilised imo. It is 2016 afterall yet we are still doing things the same as we did in the 70s. Lots of people are shit judges, powerlifting is a small community. Majority of the time it's friends judging friends. Needs some technology,

1 hour ago, soundsgood said:

I wouldn't say he's not in Blaines league, history will remember both of them, they are both beasts 

Zahirs depth in comp is not too bad, wouldn't pass in IPF sure but it does in the fed he competes in.

Zahir squats 80 odd kilo more than Blaine in knee wraps as opposed to sleeves So have to give him credit for that Bigken

Also walkouts are walkouts, not squats.  A squat competition is to see who can squat the most, not who can walk out the most in my eyes but you are entitled to your opinion.  #monosforlife.  

Yet to to see the multiply squats but I'm not surprised if they are average, that's what passes in some of the US equipped meets so I guess that's what they are used too.  I guess at least they are consistent, every meet they give whites to high squats?  So they are actually only comparing apples with apples ?

Also ironically the 'Lifting with Arnold' snapchat has no actual lifting in it.  For an event that promoted so many events and competitors why are they focused entirely on the bodybuilding which is the most boring thing at the Arnold's in my eyes.  Some of the powerlifting and strongman would have been awesome on there. 

Yeah. With the walkouts it's a bit like sleeves vs wraps. The walkout can be the hardest part,  i dont think a walkout should be compared to a mono. Respect everyone's opinion tho. Zahirs hair is beyond ridiculous. I'd rather be bald. 

Walking out the weight you are going to squat shows you have control over the weight. Way better to watch too. Can't see shit with massive mono lift in the way. would be interesting to see numbers squatted by guys who do both like dan green and manicheliv when competing in a mono or out of a rack. I doubt the numbers put up would be much different tbh. Didn't manicheliv break a record at boss of bosses and he walked it out. Cws walks his weights out of a mono lift. Guess it depends how you train. Gpc though no one can walk back or move feet and have to use the mono lift.

That's a huge total for Brett considering he bombed his first 2 squats on depth. Really good to see these guys taking records and its why i love powerlifting so much. Seeing these top guys push their bodies to the absolute limit is awesome as long as it is a legit lift. You would think in this day and age we'd have some sort of system for reviewing a lift to remove any controversy. Like a video ref.  Can't wait to try a mono myself.

3 hours ago, soundsgood said:

The rules for depth are the same for both feds. 

His lifts are marginal but based on same  criteria 

They all just want to beat records not beat each other. When have they all faced each other in the same comp. they just break these massive world records at meaningless comps with high squats and no weigh ins. It's an utter disgrace. At least in the IPF they have the IPF world champs and nothing else really means shit in that fed if you're elite. Waste of time doing anything else. But some backyard meet with no weigh in, in some redneck town in the USA is where these guys choose to break an all time WR... Really?

id rather watch 4 guys who are gonna total around 800 heading into the deadlifts with 10kg seperating all 4 of them. It's about winning. That to me is what powerlifting is about and what gets me excited.

23 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

They all just want to beat records not beat each other. When have they all faced each other in the same comp. they just break these massive world records at meaningless comps with high squats and no weigh ins. It's an utter disgrace. At least in the IPF they have the IPF world champs and nothing else really means shit in that fed if you're elite. Waste of time doing anything else. But some backyard meet with no weigh in, in some redneck town in the USA is where these guys choose to break an all time WR... Really?

id rather watch 4 guys who are gonna total around 800 heading into the deadlifts with 10kg seperating all 4 of them. It's about winning. That to me is what powerlifting is about and what gets me excited.

Agree bro. As a spectator sport watching Ipf meets is pretty good. Elite lifters going toe to toe. They can't back off as there are so many others there trying to win at a high level. If the usa was like nz with two main feds and that was it it would help powerliftung alot

Those flights looked a bit rough for the PLers. Females/males THEN geared! I woke up 5am to watch BG and had to leave after bench which was about 930am ish??. Big long day for them, not sure if that would work for you (more time to recover) or against (too long of a day).

I would just like to chime in and cry about how I wasn't there this year. For the last 6 years I lived a 2 hour drive from columbus. Was there the last 2 years. U go away with so many free samples supps its insane and loads of motivation seeing the big names there and just absorbing it all.  Been seeing my friends back home that went posting all kinds of pics of their spoils and stuff.

Oh well. lol

glad kai won

You'd have to say Kai was going in as the crowd favourite - just listen to the crowd in this video:

I think Arnie deserves a medal himself for keeping a straight face while Kai spouts his nonsense! I know the guy's dehydrated and not thinking clearly, but really... :-D

And what do you reckon about Arnold saying he though Cedric had the better body, but Kai beat him on posing points...?

Cedric did look pretty good. Taller and just more aesthetic in nmmy opinion from what i briefly saw if them both side by side. The posing routine matters now though and kais was pretty fancy lol. Didnt see cedrics though. Was kinda surprised to hear Arnold say that

And yeah Kai is always spitting some abstract philosophical mumbo jumbo inspiration ;-D