NZIFBB Pro-Am Champs 2016

everyone knows exactly what happens behind the scenes. But I do love how you are so neutral. I worked behind the scenes of the shows for 4+ years. I have witnessed first hand many name changes. Although there are multiple judges Moe picks overall winner. And usually the decision is based on what suits him and his business.  Only if there is absolutely no question then that competitor wins. For example the OX looks amazing and such a great NZ export to the Olympia stage so ONLY he can win his class. Good on you Mike for getting behind him from the get go. Not taking anything away from ANY of the competitors or their hard work, but it's like wrestling when you know its fixed you just dont enjoy it anymore. 

I heard it was $180 entry fee? Doing the math that works out to be around $29k. For a non-profit organisation excluding ticket sales. NZIFBB is the only company out of the bodybuilding organisations.  The good thing about the forums is the info and opinions.  But for once there is something brewing in the background which will become a strong attractive and alternative option for competitors and until then the corruption will continue to run as suits. Kind of being in India really. Got money, can get away with whatever you like, to some degree. 

1 hour ago, amitnz said:

I do love how you are so neutral

Haha! We try. :-D

1 hour ago, amitnz said:

But for once there is something brewing in the background which will become a strong attractive and alternative option for competitors

Interesting. More details, please! Do you mean there's another federation starting up? How many bodybuilding organisations does NZ need?!

I only saw pics. Mike D looked the best he's looked on a pro stage imo. Teina has nice aesthetics though. From pics it's hard to say what the outcome should be without being bias toward the bigger harder guy........ oh wait.. my bad.. it's bodybuilding where the bigger harder guy usually wins and it's not like Mike has terrible aesthetics. I actually thought that whilst he wasn't as thick in some areas as José he was better in some areas too. I guess that's pics though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys long time no talk, I'm not going to comment on my placing on if it was fair or not fair however I'd like to challenge those that say we should not be up there and are not worthy of pro status. When u have won 3 overall national titles placed in the top 6 at every international amiture event you have been to, Beaten the NPC super heavy wt Nth America champion and can pull a few poses that actually can hold there own ( an in Joses own words "kick his arse In the pose) then I'm more than happy to discuss with you your opinions on if I"deserve" to be on the pro stage. Also taking into consideration i wasn't  exactly laughed off the stage when sharing it with Roden Centipani warren Henry Bonic Smalls B pac James etc etc in both 2009, 2014 .... Back to your key boards boys , I'm going to the gym ???

It's a fair opinion Harry. I said mike is a very good amateur but I don't think he should be on a pro stage I think that about all the others too except Steve. Mike d and mike k probably most deserving. Maybe the Internet and magazines misguides us as to what pro level actually is. Anyway,  If people don't like that opinion then don't read it it's pretty simple.

HP, no mate the thread was about the show and the opinions on the pro part of it were said before mike d decided to post. Jesus Christ, was hardly an abusive assault on the Guys chracter I thought it was constructive. For a sport/pageant or whatever you want to call it where at the very base of the judging system is a persons opinion  there are some really sensitive individuals that don't like opinion involved in it.

On 3/26/2016 at 0:52 PM, Michael Knight said:

All I see is someone living in the past, even though it's not much of a past. 

But hey, so long as you get to put your thong on and flex in front of a bunch of dudes, then life is all good. 

Michael Knight I am a bit confused by your post "Not much of a past"? What do you have to do to get "Much of a Past" Mike D has 3 overall nationals Titles!! Thats a pretty impressive past IMO! 

I understand Mike D didn't place ahead of Teina in the official cards but reading the boards and looking at the photos along with following BBuilding since I was in my teens,  I would have placed him a clear 2nd at that show, I think perhaps the 3rd place placing was more of the questionable judging that people have been alluding to and to Mikes credit he hasnt publically winghed about this to the best of my knowledge?

I think at times, there is quite a bit of tall poppy syndrome on this site, the input these pro's can provide is a great boost to the site. Insulting them probably isn't the best way to get anyone to hang around.

I understand we don't currently have a world class /world beating top 6 pro like a Coleman, Lewis or Heath, but other than the Americans and a very small hand full of other countries pro's - what other country does. No one currently from England, Russia etc.

I dont think MIke D looked out of place, Boston mass is probably no 2 in 212's in the world, yes our guys are taller but probably better to be competitive at a show at a lower weight than up against guys 260-280lbs in the open?

What do you think?

Interesting comments....

Having actually been there I would have judged it differently but then I'm no pro judge. 

Although there was no doubt that Jose was a clear first, I thought Mike D matched him well on many poses and actually had him on one or two. That's no mean feat. 

I would have said the gap between Mike & Teina was about as large as that between Jose & Mike and the battle was really tight for 3rd & 4th. The group I was with had Matteo winning that though it was debatable as from some angles Mateo didn't appear as dry. 

However the judges didn't see it the way we did and the result was the result. Subjective sport so can't complain, and certainly to his credit Mike didn't despite others voicing their opinions.

Overall a great show to watch, an excellent standard and it moved at pace, obviously a learning point from recent Arnold formats.

Got to meet Jose the next day too, hell of a nice guy.

I think 212 class is for people of the Dolans build. being shorter allows them to carry more muscle mass within the weight limit. I mean that's not rocket science is it? If you're 5'10 and weigh under 96kg on stage then maybe you just aren't up to being on a pro stage.

Thats what I think. Don't take it personally.

I agree internationally but if a 212 Pro show comes to your home town and you can scrape under 212 it makes sense to do it. 

I used to train at Mike's World Gym in Chch and from memory he's gotta be 5'8" max? And he definitely just scraped in weight wise. Jose is like a Dolan with 20kg extra muscle, gotta be 5'6"ish

I appreciate the comments of Harry and Mikek two guys that actually have walked the walk.  As for just coming on her because someone talked shit about me, for many yrs I was a contributed to these forums but got very tied of the tall poppy syndrome and the constant bashing of people actually out there doing it. As for living in the past..? how can I be living in the past when i competed in possibly my best condition only 2 wks ago??? But even if I was unbeaten in the ifbb as an amiture from 1997 till 2008 when I went pro (one loss at the south islands) I'm happy to revel in that lol. As for not of Pro Level the personal opinions of much more qualified inderviduals such as Jose, Centapani weigh a lot more on own questioning if I'm of standard than .....who. 

So when the runner up 212 Mr O tells you that you are of quality to head to the U.S. (because I am one to doubt myself ) I'll take that. And being in a call out  with Robert Petrozki (3x overall world champion) and Edward Nunn in my first pro show again sort of says I'm not doing too bad. Hey I'm no Kai green, or Philly Heath and I know how dam good Steve Orton is (I was his coach for 4 yrs and still a very big supporter of him) but if we all have to be at that level to be a pro we a re going tonnage some very thin shows competitor wise. 

Maybe just maybe my next show which will be in the States might be enough to gain a little more respect from a few, if not I'm pretty sure I'll sleep ok! 

9 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

I think 212 class is for people of the Dolans build. being shorter allows them to carry more muscle mass within the weight limit. I mean that's not rocket science is it? If you're 5'10 and weigh under 96kg on stage then maybe you just aren't up to being on a pro stage.

5'6" (Correa/Yamagishi) is as tall as it comes at 212 Olympia level.

I MO even we Dolan's are too short. Only 5'3" dude doing it big is Jose. He ain't 5'4" like he claims ??

Good too see ya here Mike! 

Be great to have ya online a bit, ignore the stuff you don't like, at least you don't get called out for fights here like me lolol ;)

Anyway I'd value your opinion on things as would many others - I may need some mentoring as I'm helping Mike K with his Masters Physique debut, I'm sure he was approaching his BSC team mate Steve for tips on the man bun too! (Can I entice him to bite and post here too?!!)

Hope ya getting out on the bike & enjoying the ice cream back home champ

2 hours ago, Realtalk said:

Lucky I'm 5' 8" at a push and the time I'm back on stage I'm back up to 99-100kg after weighing  in. Ur a really joy realtalk, 

image.jpg

Great shot Mike D!

Slightly unrelated but here is a guy who I thought would have been unbeatable in the 212's even though he has mentioned many times that he would always have only stuck to the Open Olympia as he was placing 2-5 consistantly for 12 years and the prize money for these placings was better. Shawn was 5 foot 7 and looked best between 209 and 211lbs, regularly beat guys 250-275lbs. Also uncrowned Olympia Champ in 1994 and arguably 1996 IMO.

Photos-Shawn-Ray-bodybuilder-Facebook-st

9 hours ago, Realtalk said:

Lol, you got bad Intel Nate. When's your wheelchair rugby debut?

Haha yeah that'll be just after my miserable debut in masters men's physique! 

Post re: Shawn Ray, I'd have the Lee Priest of old handing the 212 their asses if he had gone this way. He's pretty staunch on his view that he was there to take on the best in the world as an open bodybuilder tho