Challenge to Pseudo!

Well since you started this concern about my back training and the safety of it, I (57 year old, grandmother at that!) challenge you Pseudo to a back workout.

Any Tuesday afternoon or evening you like, at Club Physical in Albany! Oh and don't worry Aylmer will be there to keep you SAFE!

Of course it will be weight adjusted (but, oh, hang on, there is no difference in our weight!).

However, if you are not hard core enough to do this, don't worry no disrespect to you!

A back workout? How exactly do you win a back workout... Like what's the measurement for winning. 

You know, I'm really not a fan of male v female challenges. If female wins its like oh you lost to a physically inferior human being. If the male wins people think you're a bully or that it's unfair

2 hours ago, Realtalk said:

A back workout? How exactly do you win a back workout... Like what's the measurement for winning. 

You know, I'm really not a fan of male v female challenges. If female wins its like oh you lost to a physically inferior human being. If the male wins people think you're a bully or that it's unfair

Hahaha who said he has to "WIN" l will be satisfied if he just crawls away like l do sometimes!

6 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

Well since you started this concern about my back training and the safety of it, I (57 year old, grandmother at that!) challenge you Pseudo to a back workout.

Any Tuesday afternoon or evening you like, at Club Physical in Albany! Oh and don't worry Aylmer will be there to keep you SAFE!

Of course it will be weight adjusted (but, oh, hang on, there is no difference in our weight!).

However, if you are not hard core enough to do this, don't worry no disrespect to you!

I will take on this challenge come to the tron and I will paint myself blue like a true smurf to troll ya'll arse. 

Bring brofessor  Alymer to judge who's most intense. 

5 hours ago, Realtalk said:

Is it really though. A female that takes male hormones is more or less a male. Only difference is probably sexual organs 

17 minutes ago, jimmybro1 said:

I will take on this challenge come to the tron and I will paint myself blue like a true smurf to troll ya'll arse. 

Bring brofessor  Alymer to judge who's most intense. 

Now now don't get jealous, l will sort you guys out 1 at a time!

But l only bother with guys who are at least respectful and don't talk shit!

You don't get to take on a Ms Universe titleholder if you are an idiot!

11 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

But l only bother with guys who are at least respectful and don't talk shit!

You don't get to take on a Ms Universe titleholder if you are an idiot!

Oh dam missed out on an opportunity of a lifetime ? 

7 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

But won't you just go into the gym and do a workout that's part of sheiko or some other percentage based programme?? How will you ever deviate from your programming to have any kind of a workout that isn't specific to you (and everyone else following your cult..I mean sect... I mean... oh you know what I mean..).. surely you don't have a flexible training routine that allows for workouts that are actually .... fun...

Look at you guys, she wants to have some fun and throws a bit of a challenge out in good humour to pseud and you're all carrying on with digs and backhanded comments. 

LOL. Since you asked so nicely - yes, I'm happy to train with you sometime, Rebel. But I'm not sure what we're trying to prove here. Is the objective to see if I turn blue as well?

For the record, I wasn't questioning your intensity - just whether the whole turning blue thing is a normal physiological response. I just can't think of too many other athletes, even in the full intensity of competition, who turn a delicate shade of smurf.

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

LOL. Since you asked so nicely - yes, I'm happy to train with you sometime, Rebel. But I'm not sure what we're trying to prove here. Is the objective to see if I turn blue as well?

For the record, I wasn't questioning your intensity - just whether the whole turning blue thing is a normal physiological response. I just can't think of too many other athletes, even in the full intensity of competition, who turn a delicate shade of smurf.

Umm just throwing a theory out there whatbif this whole thing is some kind of elaborate metaphor and rebels aim is to seduce you then leave you with blue balls ?? #foodforthought

7 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Nothing to prove! Just the a bit of fun and interest on your site!

Yes it is normal just not very common, just an intensity thing! Hopefully if we can get to the right weights and reps you will see for yourself!

Then maybe you can set these disbeliever chicken shots on the site right!

5 hours ago, maccaz said:

rebele post what you're planning to do 

Oh l don't know maybe Deadlifts?  Followed by T Bar rows, followrd by some bent over bb rows, followed by maybe cable rows, followed by one arm dumbells, followed by some machine Deadlifts just to top off

But generally Aylmer dictates the workouts depending on what he wants to hit and the intensity he wants for that week.

Aylmer is a fantastic trainer and he obviously knows your body and how it responds well Rebel.  How much of your training programme is dictated by him and how much input do you have in it 

For the record I agree with Peusdo, there's no way training so hard you turn blue is a safe thing.  But being the best at anything is always going to make you push the boundaries into the unsafe.  You'll never win anything if you stay in the comfort zone 

2 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

Nothing to prove! Just the a bit of fun and interest on your site!

Yes it is normal just not very common, just an intensity thing! Hopefully if we can get to the right weights and reps you will see for yourself!

Then maybe you can set these disbeliever chicken shots on the site right!

This has to be filmed or it didnt happen

31 minutes ago, soundsgood said:

Aylmer is a fantastic trainer and he obviously knows your body and how it responds well Rebel.  How much of your training programme is dictated by him and how much input do you have in it 

For the record I agree with Peusdo, there's no way training so hard you turn blue is a safe thing.  But being the best at anything is always going to make you push the boundaries into the unsafe.  You'll never win anything if you stay in the comfort zone 

+1 to this, not sure what is trying to be proven by such a challenge. Hope you guys just have a good workout together as two fellow forum buddies and keep an open mind try learn something, everyone trains differently. 

How blue we talking? If it just thin lean skin and there veins visible the they can appear blue. Or if you are holding your breath and not using correct breathing technique when you lift then you can turn blue... When people are suffocated for oxygen they turn blue. I think we are all probably exaggerating the whole turning blue thing and it's really not that blue at all?

Lol........I think everyone is overestimating the level of "blueness" that is  occurring here. So the affected area (just the muscle being trained)  gains small patches of  a dark blue almost black colour that spread across the muscle and last for the duration of the set. They slowly dissipate after the cessation of the set but can last up to a couple of minutes. Initially the muscle will go bright red and then progress to a darker deep red , then a purple or "blue" colour as the set progresses, and before termination of the set dark blue/black patches appear across the muscle being trained (this being the desired effect before the set is terminated).

As pseudo alluded to this training technique is a downgraded version of the tourniquet approach made famous by Nishimura, Fukuda and others during thier study performed in Japan in 2010 (search their names in PubMed for more on this). Personally I've found the tourniquet technique to clumsy to administer so other techniques are employed to achieve the desired hyperemia/hypoxic effects. 

Christine has no idea that this technique is actively being used during some of her sets but has subsequently noticed

her muscles "turning blue" and thus her post on here. I have not discussed this with her as I don't want her to try replicate these conditions on days she trains by herself (which I know she would!). The reason for this is that although cerebral hypoxia (fainting) is  very unlikely to occur, it is a possibility. And also because any technique that is overused soon loses its effectiveness.

I use this training technique during periods where rapid hypertrophy is the main goal. Ive found it to be very effective for times when an athlete needs to increase lean body mass but only has a short period of time to do so (i.e. a bodybuilder between comps, or a fighter wanting to move up a weight class). Paradoxically it seems to work best in athletes that are already heavily muscled. I think this is due to the fact that smaller muscles (i.e. on a smaller person) cannot attain the oxygen deficit required to have much effect, I say this as well because Ive noticed it works best for larger muscle groups in general, and unless you already have a decent amount of muscle already the "visual effects' (turning blue) do not occur at all.  Whether or not the use of the actual tourniquet technique used by Nishimura would yield better results for smaller individuals I am unable to say.

Having trained Pseudonym (and trained with him) on numerous occasions I can say that he would not experience the visual side effects during this type of training as he lacks the muscle mass needed to do so.