Creatine getting a bad rap!

gazza

There's been over 20 years of research done into use of creatine, science tells us there has been no issue in this time.. 

The NZ Herald states otherwise without putting forward any research, only hearsay... Must be in need of a story..lol

I was quite impressed with doctor Graham Paterson's interview on NewsTalk ZB this morning. He was basically saying flat out, "Nope - creatine is absolutely fine." I don't think anyone listening would have come away thinking that creatine was dangerous.

As for the NZ Herald, they've just done their usual trick of dressing up an average story with a clickbait headline. Once you get into the story itself, it's pretty balanced, I think. (Although if a rugby player is giving a medical opinion, and the medical experts say it's rubbish, is it still a story worth reporting?)

Having said that, I can see how, if you're an athlete being given unlimited quantities of the stuff, the recommended doses would probably go out the window. I can certainly see how megadosing, coupled with a predisposition for kidney problems (as apparently "massive people" and Polynesians are more likely to have), then yeah... that could spell trouble.

But to draw a link to Lomu, particularly when that's been dismissed by the experts, seems pretty flimsy. The evidence is thin at best.