Setting up home gym

backtolapaz

Hi guys

Recently bought a house that has a double garage, finally can set up a home gym like I've always wanted!

Can anyone recommend a good power cage, that has pulleys at the top and bottom,  pull up bar,  and those arm things that are on the side of the cage designed to slip the weights over when not in use (if someone could tell me what those arm things are called, would be appreciated) 

Adjustable bench

Olympic bar

Weights

Dumbbell set

Dumbbell rack

Kettlebells 

EZ curl bar

Floor tiles

Mirror

Anything else you can think of if you were designing your own gym?

Good wholesalers, quality brands and as I mentioned earlier, a powercage that would be suitable for my needs. 

Thanks a lot

Ryan 

Agree with Ken about the rack, though i have an iron power on and it's OK for the light weights I do 

No1f do a really good Olympic bar at $400 (ipf certified) , often on sale for $300

Try out adjustable benches before buying. I got an iron power one and it is too unstable, sucks. Would rather have a good flat and maybe a fixed incline for stability if space permitted z otherwise just a food flat will do

Look on tradme for mirrors locally, heaps to be had cheap depending in what you want

Get good floor tiles to help with both noise and keeping your flooring intact z especially if you have metal weights. I recommend building up a lifting platform with some plyboard and decent mats 

See heaps of kettlebells go for cheap on Trademe, keep an eye out for DB and rack sets as well as weight plates sets.. From time to time you'll find an absolute bargain if you're not in a rush. Built mine over a period of abiut 4 months and saved over a grand compared to buying things new 

I have that HD rack at home to . I thought it was pretty solid but that bench n rack combo looks sweet. Agree with fotr about adjustable bench. I never even use mine.  Get a good flat basic bench. The adjustables are wobbly and most have an annoying wider pad on the seat part.  Also I'd recommend if you have the money is a good seated bench with a short back (below the neck) and foot rests. Awesome for seated military. 

If I had the coin for my initial set up I would have got the whole kit from here http://www.powerfit.nz/store/c2/Power_Cage_%26_Accessories.html

Or start with No1 kit then upgrade as you go. I've replaced plates with the bumpers from this site and added a few more additions to it.

After a year of being hammered don't really rate the no1 bar either. Here's what i'll be getting soon for comp set up. http://solidstrengthequipment.co.nz/20kg-powerlifting-barbell/ for about the same price.

1 hour ago, Realtalk said:

If you're going to have it for life then you want to spend a little extra on the quality. Spend a little more and spend once.

Real talk there. I'm realizing almost everything will need to be replaced to handle more weights soon.  

Really appreciate all the input, I found when searching for gym equipment online No1 and Elite Fitness seem to dominate the google search engine. You can never trust the quality. Buying the Powerfit  power cage/lat pull down/bench and bar now. Now its time to find some plates. 

I do rate the Powerfit plates too (no I don't have shares in the place) Ask Wazza for a deal if you are buying everything at once he'll look after you.  http://www.powerfit.nz/store/p24/25kg_Olympic_Bumper_Plate.html. Tho there was a little discrepancy in the calibration, bumpers are neighbor friendly and way easier to throw around.

Went el cheapo with No1 metal plates coated in plastic, they were just denting the concrete even with flooring down.