NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Pseudonym

How to peel an egg?

As a bodybuilder, I naturally strive for aesthetics in every aspect of my life.

It bothers me that I am unable to achieve this state of perfection in my otherwise flawless soft boiled eggs.

I simply cannot peel the bastards without half the egg coming off with the shell. It really spoils the look of my Caesar salads.

Apparently older eggs are better to peel, but I can't wait 2 weeks for my eggs to fully ripen. I've tried putting a tiny crack in the shell prior to cooking, but that old wives tale hardly makes a difference. Letting them cool before peeling makes it easier, but it's still not perfect... and besides, then my eggs are cold.

How do restaurants do this? Any tips? Pls halp. :-(

IMG_20160225_220416.jpg

maybe try looking for the eggs that are closer to their best before date. some time at the super market ive seen them 2 weeks out and i think -you bastards!

I personally always look to see that the best b4 is atleast a month out.

Otherwise poach those eggs brotha.

there is a way to do it, i cant remember off the top of my head.

i think it may be the differencess between putting them directly in boiling water, or putting them in cold water and letting it come to boil.

either that, or its cooling them down directly after theyre ready.

one of those 2 for sure, give it a go, this was through extensive trial and error through a year of keto lol

I just had a look at the video, Georg - unfortunately the splitting in half is not going to work for me. The point was that these are very soft-boiled eggs, so you can sit them on top of the salad peeled but whole, then break them open and have them ooze over it like a dressing... Masterchef style!

However, I did try it with a spoon, and it's a lot easier. You start off with the traditional crack-and-peel method, then slide the spoon in an run it around under the membrane. But it still seems to require a cold egg so the membrane doesn't cling to the white.

On 26/02/2016 at 3:17 PM, Bruce Al said:

By the way Psudo, if that is a photo of your meal... there is just something wrong with a warm egg in a cold salad.

I disagree. You don't want your egg so hot that it wilts your lettuce, but just warm is ideal. Think Thai beef salad, or Moroccan lamb salad. There's plenty of precedents!

Hi Pseudo, I normally do this - try adding 2-3tspns of baking soda to the boiling water, boil them a little longer (~5-10min) more than you normally would. Fill a large bowl (I normally use the sink) with ice and water like an ice bath, and once ready  dump the eggs immediately into the ice bath for 5-10min before peeling.