Going to build a reverse hyper. (Try lol)

Bigken1985

So after listening to a podcast from Westside and listening to Simmons about the reverse hyper. So I'm going to build one. Will be backyard af. But aesthetics don't matter in my gym lol. Will use hardwood cross arms for base ( used to hold wires on power poles) and box section for the rest. Might take a while, will post up pics wen done

Good exercise, definitely rate it, just don't have access to one atm. You can quite easily change the emphasis of the movement too to target more Glutes or Lower Back or Hamstrings depending where you want to focus.

At Atlas Gym where we ran our GPC comp on the weekend they have built a ghetto one that works quite well. It's just the top pad plus the swinging arm and then they put it on their dip attachments on their power cages when they want to use it. Potentially some to look at to save you making the base if you can mount it in a similar fashion ?

If your engineering skills are up to it why not try make one that has a stack and pully system. That way you can

have constant tension on target muscles. Also then you won't be able to swing as much and get a linear stretch and contraction.

Are you currently using a glute/ham raise? If I was stranded on an island and could only bring on piece of posterior accessory equipment, id bring one of those.

8 hours ago, BeastBuilder said:

Good exercise, definitely rate it, just don't have access to one atm. You can quite easily change the emphasis of the movement too to target more Glutes or Lower Back or Hamstrings depending where you want to focus.

At Atlas Gym where we ran our GPC comp on the weekend they have built a ghetto one that works quite well. It's just the top pad plus the swinging arm and then they put it on their dip attachments on their power cages when they want to use it. Potentially some to look at to save you making the base if you can mount it in a similar fashion ?

Yeah was thinking that. Could even use a pallet or similar. Put it on the safety in my rack s afetys have holes. Hey presto

5 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Why a reverse hyperextension, as opposed to a standard hyperextension machine? If you've got to build it, I know which one's simpler! :-D

Supposed to be really good for the lower back. Totally different to a normal hypertension. Most gyms don't have them. It's a bit like a ghr most gyms don't bother. I've got a simple plan to go in my rack now should be easy as

9 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Yeah I was looking at buying one off Getstrength.  So expensive though but apparently awesome for helping build the squat and dead. Tried out one in new Plymouth a few weeks back and quite hard.

Never actually tried one. Supposed to be really good for the back and while posterior. I saw get strength one's for a grand lol vs my one $0

9 minutes ago, maccaz said:

lol my gym has one of these i had no idea what it was until you posted the pics OB. is this better than a ghr? 

Different movement,

GHR is Knee Flexion and Extension mainly with like a static Hip Extension.

Reverse Hyper is Hip Extension and Flexion mainly with a static hold at the Knee or a Static Flexion at the Knee depending how you execute it.

Both great movements imo, if I had access to a Reverse Hyper I would have it as a staple in my training along with GHR. Nothing else really compares tbh in relation to the main lifts, except maybe Cable Pull Throughs imo but no one does those anymore except me cos they look homo lol

2 hours ago, maccaz said:

ok so different movement, how do they differ in terms of targeted area?

I would consider both to be compound movements rather isolation as they both target the whole "Posterior Chain" (Hammys, Glutes, Spinal Erectors)

The nature of the movements just place the emphasis on which muscle group will get worked the hardest.

GHR you will obviously work your Knee Flexors more (Hamstrings) and Reverse Hyper you will work your main Hip Extensor more (Glutes) unless you have an amazing Mind Muscle Connection with your Hammys and can make take over, since they also cross the Hip joint and can extend it (think Romanian Deadlift). But I would still guarantee you would get better Hammy recruitment on a GHR.

Also if you position yourself further off the pad on the Reverse Hyper, so your hips are hanging off you can get a fair amount of Erector recruitment since you then have to extend your Lower Back as well to get your Legs parallel to the floor rather than just your Hips.

Obviously all dependant on various individual factors, eg lever length, strong vs weak muscles, MMC, body positioning etc.

Personally I get hella Hammys on GHR and mostly Glutes on Reverse Hypers, but easy to get extra Hammys by bending Knees slightly or more Erectors adjusting my Hips further back.

5 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Actually, that works pretty well. I'm impressed!

Ungrateful father!;-D

I have hit them for two workouts now. They are pretty good I just need a pad. Hammes are on fire after but not sorevthe next day.also feels pretty gd on the lower back