Smurf effect......

Rebel101

Couple of times lately I think Aylmers trying to turn me into a smurf...

Leg training is always intense but some days are simply worse than others.

On these days I watcah as my legs actually turn blue in oxygen debt. Has anyone else experienced this?

The workout that usually does this is:

6 sets leg press 12 - 16 reps

4 sets squats 12.-.14 reps

Then

Superset high rep sqauts 16 reps with walking lunges 12 steps each foot

All on about 80% 1 rep max

While trying to recover your breath watch the legs go blue it is amazing...

Hmmmm l think he challenges me above and beyond normal training, why, because l can take it and never say enough.

After 4 years of solid training different methods are required to elicit response and hypertrophy from the muscles. Harder training, different techniques, all designed to hit the muscles in different ways and Aylmer knows them all.

Quad training is demanding at the best of times, few people are prepared to do the work it's nasty and yes takes you into oxygen debt, and doms etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

An Update!

Now training recently with my husband he has noticed that when I an training back, notably while doing deadlifts and t-bar rows I develop large blue areas on my back, so the smurf effect is spreading, ah the mystery deepens.

Sooooo on discussing this with Aylmer he advised me that this is a desired effect of heavy training creating muscle hypertrophy. It only happens at a required heavy workload and rep range.

Apparently once upon a time one country used to use tourniques on athletes arms to create the same effect causing sufficient oxygen debt in the muscle  while training.

5 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Um, are you sure this is healthy, Rebel? :unsure:

Occlusion training (with tourniquets) is one thing. I'm no expert, but this sounds like something totally different. Poor circulation, perhaps. How quickly does your colour return to normal?

It's just hard heavy training, stop being a pussy! !!!! Hehehe!

Returns to normal after each set!

9 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Occlusion training (with tourniquets) is one thing. I'm no expert, but this sounds like something totally different. Poor circulation, perhaps. How quickly does your colour return to normal?

its safe m8 aylmer brewed up a scientific explanation for it haha

On 1 March 2016 at 11:57 PM, Pseudonym said:

Just trains really hardcore I guess none of us can relate to such intense training .... 

On 01/03/2016 at 6:23 PM, Rebel101 said:

An Update!

Now training recently with my husband he has noticed that when I an training back, notably while doing deadlifts and t-bar rows I develop large blue areas on my back, so the smurf effect is spreading, ah the mystery deepens.

Apparently I do.. After heavy rack-pulls and Dead-lift.. Rear delts and Mid-lower back, dark purple colour, noticeable for about 30 mins post workout..