NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Pseudonym

Reverse dieting

It seems "reverse dieting" is a trendy thing now.

For those who don't know, this is where after a cut you slooooooowly increase your calories to allow your metabolism to get back up to speed. And it's the complete opposite of what used to be preached - that this was the ideal time to take advantage of the "post-competition rebound effect", where your body hungrily sucks everything up and is exceptionally anabolic so you shovel the food in.

Here's Layne Norton's take on it:

Anyway, I'm amused that what's regarded as "conventional wisdom" has now done a complete 180 degree turn! :-p

Don't get me wrong... I think the reverse dieting concept makes a lot of sense (probably more than the rebound theory) - so I guess it's progress in the right direction.

What do you reckon? Has anyone tried it?

Reverse dieting is not absolutely a reverse diet situation, you can and should change the macros around.

But you have to agree most body builders will eat extra food after a show, celebrations etc. The idea is to minimise the complete loss of self control, refeed yes but don't refeed everyday!!!!!!

After an extended period of denial even the smallest increase in nutrition will be noticed and absorbed by a competitors body. 

You will still make use of the anabolic period if you reverse diet sensibly with increased proteins in your macros. But realistically when people do not reverse diet a lack of control sees toooooo many carbs and fats go into the body with insufficient protein to balance it out.

Typically what causes the most problem post competition is the consumption of sugar and fat in the same meal without the moderating effect of protein.

There you are those comments should start a debate off nicely!!!!

From what I've heard- you increase your calories by a small amount and following that, put on a small amount of fat. Your body adjusts to the new calorie intake after not too long and you lose body fat again. That's when you can increase cals by a small amount again and go through the same notion of putting on fat and losing it when your body becomes accustomed to the increase in cals. Obviously timing and the individual would have a fair amount to do with it (some peoples bodies would adjust faster or slower than others).

I know someone who will be doing this in just over 3 weeks after a show so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like!

The real problem in this post competition period comes from "spillage" when more calories are supplied to the body than the system can possibly cope with.

The body has to do something with the excess and it's only choice is store it as fat.

But when one day the body has been used to living on say 1500 calories for maybe months on end then the next day it is given say 3000 then yes the extra 1500 is mainly going to be stored as fat, even more likely if the calories are in the form of fats and sugars together in the absence of protein.

Do this for days on end and the consequences become obvious.

Add to that the fact that most modern competitors use a variety of fat burners at least when prepping so dropping those adds to the negative state the body is in. 

If the athlete used steroids as well then coming off them post comp will (regardless of your pct protocol) lead to your hormones being off and this will contribute to weight gain etc etc etc 

The only times I have noticed athletes reverse dieting in a way that actually worked was 1) when they were completely natural athletes and 2) when they kept their cycles going well past comp so the only changing variables were calories and cardio. 

I personally think it's mentally healthier to just eat some shit food and relax. Give yourself some room to move when you have to diet again. If offseason you're hammering yourself to try and stay in some kind of shape (only the very anal can actually do it anyway) then when it's time to diet where do you go? 

It's different for people who aren't going to compete. For one they don't have to hit the extreme conditioning required for competition nor does it matter if they can't stick to a plan. They literally have forever to do whatever they want to do. It's actually more of a lifestyle for them in one sense because it's adopting long term healthy eating plans vs extreme dieting plus loads of drugs and binge eating :)

Edited by HarryB
can't type for shit

5 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Add to that the fact that most modern competitors use a variety of fat burners at least when prepping so dropping those adds to the negative state the body is in. 

If the athlete used steroids as well then coming off them post comp will (regardless of your pet protocol) lead to your hormones being off and this will contribute to weight gain etc etc etc 

The only times I have noticed athletes reverse dieting in a way that actually worked was 1) when they were completely natural athletes and 2) when they kept their cycles going well past comp so the only changing variables were calories and cardio. 

I personally think it's mentally healthier to just eat some shit food and relax. Give yourself some room to move when you have to diet again. If offseason you're hammering yourself to try and stay in some kind of shape (only the very anal can actually do it anyway) then when it's time to diet where do you go? 

It's different for people who aren't going to compete. For one they don't have to hit the extreme conditioning required for competition nor does it matter if they can't stick to a plan. They literally have forever to do whatever they want to do. It's actually ore of a lifestyle for them in one sense because it's adopting long term healthy eating plans vs extreme dieting plus loads of drugs and binge eating :)

I like your thinking HarryB and yes you are right only very few can do the full year round nutrition protocol.

I have personally experienced the disasterous effects of a significant post comp diet binge and also followed a well structured reverse diet - which IMO was 100x the more preferable option for me personally.

Here's a great 'middle of the road option from my good friend and coach Eric Helms

Cheers Rede - I'll check out the video later on.

Would you say your reverse diet worked to the point where you were eating much more while still staying at the same (or close) lean BF%? Or was it more that it just avoided the disastrous effects of the post-comp binge?

IMO reverse dieting should definitely be used by female and natural competitors after competition, natural young men with naturally high T can get away with the more traditional approach of introducing a lot of calories for an anabolic  response (as can enhanced athletes). 

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 1:31 PM, Pseudonym said:

Cheers Rede - I'll check out the video later on.

Would you say your reverse diet worked to the point where you were eating much more while still staying at the same (or close) lean BF%? Or was it more that it just avoided the disastrous effects of the post-comp binge?

Both of those aspects Pseudonym.

I have a far greater degree of self control following on from shows and little to no inclination to binge; likewise as I get further away from a comp I am eventually able to build up to eating  more compared to my pre competitive (offseason) amounts and able to stay relatively leaner/tighter.

This article  is getting  a little older now but consider....

http://www.humongous.co.nz/making-all-kinds-of-gainzzz/

I'll be on stage on the 4th June and depending on whether I qualify for the finals I will be looking to reverse diet. However, I am going to have a good calorie increase initially (first week) and then drop back to the calories I was on in my final week +100 and then reverse diet from there. I have no scientific background for why this is going to be more effective, but the strength I gained from the calorie increase was huge and so I'm hoping by going significantly higher for only a short period of time this should prevent the metabolic rate from adjusting too much. God knows what will happen haha

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Sounds reasonable to me, @Englishman88. Like you might get the best of both worlds.

You should start a journal... it would be cool to see what you do in the few weeks leading up to a show.

Should I start a journal on here?

On 29/04/2016 at 10:25 PM, rede frisby said:

Here's a great 'middle of the road option from my good friend and coach Eric Helms

Finally got around to watching this, and it makes a lot of sense. Eric's great.

But I had to laugh at the second guy though... If you just finished one comp and your next show is up to a month away, he'll let you out for one "Small Celebratory Meal" (with caps) which may consist of, for example, meat and some steamed veges. You lucky thing, you...

Bugger that. If I've stepped off stage and my next show's not for several weeks, I'm having a proper meal! :-D