NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
aucklandstrongmanseries

So you think that you're strong?!

20 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Yeah 35k over or something like that. I follow Brian Shaw and he just pulled out of the WSM deadlift comp. 

It's Europes Strongest man, and they've made the first even the World Deadlift champs- 500 is just not going to happen.
However they've sold 9000+ tickets to the event, plus a big pay per view for the stream.

2 minutes ago, maccaz said:

strongman is 100x cooler to watch than powerlifting in my opinion

too hard to actually do though lol

I know- which is why there is a big move happening away from the origins of the sport so it's basically powerlifting, removing things like endurance, athleticism, mental toughness and all those parts that make the sport tough.

10 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I know- which is why there is a big move happening away from the origins of the sport so it's basically powerlifting, removing things like endurance, athleticism, mental toughness and all those parts that make the sport tough.

wasnt aware, got some examples of this ?

the competitions my gym always does seem to include:

log

deadlift

farmers

yoke

recently started doing axle squats

37 minutes ago, maccaz said:

wasnt aware, got some examples of this ?

the competitions my gym always does seem to include:

log

deadlift

farmers

yoke

recently started doing axle squats

Basically no moving events, max deadlift in every show - no stuff that requires actual athleticism.

It's more what's not being tested- heavy carries like the Husafell stone are rare now. 50m Farmers with a turn and pretty heavy are rare. Deadlift or squat for reps are almost non-existent. Truck pulls or sled drags are becoming rare.

Not every show, but it's become quite possible if you are a powerlifter with zero cardio and athleticism but a good deadlift- that you can do really well. 

8 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Basically no moving events, max deadlift in every show - no stuff that requires actual athleticism.

It's more what's not being tested- heavy carries like the Husafell stone are rare now. 50m Farmers with a turn and pretty heavy are rare. Deadlift or squat for reps are almost non-existent. Truck pulls or sled drags are becoming rare.

Not every show, but it's become quite possible if you are a powerlifter with zero cardio and athleticism but a good deadlift- that you can do really well. 

yep

im doing one at end of this year because it sounds so easy,  cant remember exactly but from what i remember none of the events are anything that will test my lungs. basically max squat, max log, max deadlift, and yoke i think

they always do max deadlift because its easy to run i think, lazy

11 minutes ago, maccaz said:

yep

im doing one at end of this year because it sounds so easy,  cant remember exactly but from what i remember none of the events are anything that will test my lungs. basically max squat, max log, max deadlift, and yoke i think

they always do max deadlift because its easy to run i think, lazy

3 hours ago, maccaz said:

going way off topic but are those truck pulls tough on the achilles/feet ? 

Can be...only seen achilles injuries happen on tire flip though.

Mathew Ragg continued his series lead with another victory at Round 2 of the Auckland Strongman Series. Was a great event, ran smoothly and saw a bunch of people from the forum throughout the day.

On to the next one which will feature an under105kg mens class

Event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1835271450076871/

CFEA - Ellerslie is set to play host to Round 2 of the 2017 WestiePies Auckland Strongman Series! Here you'll see some of New Zealand's strongest men and women battle it out across four gruelling events including:

10:00am Max Log Lift
11:30am Tyre Flip
12:30pm Deadlift For Reps
2:00pm Loading Medley

Open men's, u105 men's and open women's classes.

This competition will serve as a qualifier for the 2018 Arnold Classic Australia.

Thanks to our amazing sponsors WestiePies, RAISElower, Yuasa Batteries NZ, Physio-Logic and Miada Gym