NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Pseudonym

Women too heavy for the US Marines

The US Marines is considering allowing women to bulk up so they can carry heavy loads more easily. They recently opened up all jobs to women - but those trying to gain strength for their new roles are finding the height-to-weight standards too restrictive.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11584393

According to height-and-weight standards published by the Marine Corps in 2008, the maximum weight for women who are 5-foot-3 is 141 pounds. Taller women are allowed to weigh more, with the weight limit set at 164 pounds for a woman who is 5-foot-8 and 184 for a woman who is 6 feet tall.

By comparison, male Marines are allowed to weigh more but must maintain a lower body fat composition. A man in the service is allowed to weigh up to 180 pounds at 5 foot 8, and up to 202 pounds at 6 feet tall.

That seems quite restrictive all round to me. I would barely scrape in, and I'm not that big. What about the rest of you lads and lasses?

45 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

The US Marines is considering allowing women to bulk up so they can carry heavy loads more easily. They recently opened up all jobs to women - but those trying to gain strength for their new roles are finding the height-to-weight standards too restrictive.

That seems quite restrictive all round to me. I would barely scrape in, and I'm not that big. What about the rest of you lads and lasses?

The female weight limits don't seem completely ridiculous... I'm 5 ft 8 and sit just under 130 pounds (at 17.6% BF). I'm not the strongest female out there (deadlift 1RM 80kg lol) but have only been lifting heavy consistently for a few months (me and lifting had a very on again off again relationship for a few years, classic female).

I think 164 would be pretty generous for my height and I know if I chucked another 10 on slowly, I could increase strength hugely. A 74kg female at my height would potentially be very strong!

I feel like they're pretty on the money in terms of wanting strong females that aren't actually overweight as such. If that makes sense?

Couldn't say much for all you males though. Will be interesting to hear!

Edit: interesting that a female under 26 y/o can have up to 26% bodyfat! (article said)

43 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Yeah nar not many of us making that weight! 

Unless shredded and screw that, gotta rock the permabulk look that the bierber look

As a US Marine Veteran I would like to chime in!!!

First of all the opening of female combat roles is highly controversial right now. Most think that despite the promise of keeping standards the same, they will be lowered and lower the overall effectiveness of the fighting force. Not only physically in training (boot camp was all males, and Marine Corps Combat training was integrated with females and everything took way longer and slowed everything down), but also emotionally on the battlefield. I too, think its a terrible idea.  It's not a sexist thing. But anyways,

There are height and weight measurements and stomach and neck measurements, that is what it is based on. However, there can be waivers issued if you're not within these requirements. There are many recruits in boot camp that are overweight but over the course of 13 weeks of intense training, those guys lean out pretty quick. To go to bootcamp though the requirement is as follows: Do 3 pullups ( if you can't do at least like 10 you're looked at as a noob; 20 is for max score), 60 situps in 2 minutes (everyone usually gets 100 for max points), and be able to run a 3 mile run in under 27 minutes (18 minutes I believe is for max points on the run, which is pretty freaking hard. Best I ever got was 21 minutes flat at the Final Fitness Test in Bootcamp. 

Got carried away. Loved my time in the Corps, great experience, challenges, and friends for a lifetime. 

Semper Fidelis!

14 hours ago, jbrauch53 said:

As a US Marine Veteran I would like to chime in!!!

First of all the opening of female combat roles is highly controversial right now. Most think that despite the promise of keeping standards the same, they will be lowered and lower the overall effectiveness of the fighting force. Not only physically in training (boot camp was all males, and Marine Corps Combat training was integrated with females and everything took way longer and slowed everything down), but also emotionally on the battlefield. I too, think its a terrible idea.  It's not a sexist thing. But anyways,

There are height and weight measurements and stomach and neck measurements, that is what it is based on. However, there can be waivers issued if you're not within these requirements. There are many recruits in boot camp that are overweight but over the course of 13 weeks of intense training, those guys lean out pretty quick. To go to bootcamp though the requirement is as follows: Do 3 pullups ( if you can't do at least like 10 you're looked at as a noob; 20 is for max score), 60 situps in 2 minutes (everyone usually gets 100 for max points), and be able to run a 3 mile run in under 27 minutes (18 minutes I believe is for max points on the run, which is pretty freaking hard. Best I ever got was 21 minutes flat at the Final Fitness Test in Bootcamp. 

Got carried away. Loved my time in the Corps, great experience, challenges, and friends for a lifetime. 

Semper Fidelis!

Do you try use your  military card here to get discounts lol. 

On 2/5/2016 at 9:36 AM, jimmybro1 said:

Do you try use your  military card here to get discounts lol. 

Yeah when I would think of it. I used to get free slurpees at a GetGO gas station back in the states down the road from my house. Free fountain drinks with military ID haha. Would get into zoos and museums for free, government places like that. 

Doesnt do me much good here in NZ though  : (