Jimmybros gone vegan

jimmybro1

The past fortnight have gone vegan 5 days a week. Sources of proteins are: Beetroot burger patties, chickpeas, lentils, nuts. 

Carbohydrate sources: Oats, rice, fruit 

fats: 80% dark chocolate, flaxseed , nuts 

on the other two days of the week I don't have dairy (exception 2 scoops of whey) or red meat. 

Before i I ventured on this diet I tested my health makers by a blood test. Notable changes have occurred in liver enzymes and cholesterol both reducing. LDL went from 2.6 mmol / L to 1.9 mmol/L and LDL remained at 1.2mmol /L. All are within the reference range. 

Liver enzyme dropped 20 U/L coming back into range. This could be influenced by a few things though like training. 

Protein intake has reduced but not tracking Marcos so unsure by how much previously around 220g/day likely around 120g /day now off estimates. 

In in terms of energy it's a heap more carbohydrates so feel fine. One thing I have noticed is that bowel movements are 3-4 times a day whereas previously once. 

Admittedly  I do take 20,000mg of fish oil daily which isn't vegan. This supplementation was continued from before diet change. 

27 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Oh, ok. Cool.

Seriously?! You're making this post, knowing full well the reaction it's going to get, and yet you casually leave out the one thing everyone is going to be asking... WHY?!?!

I  initially started to stop eating red meat for  sustainability issues (hippy I know). I guess it was a slippery slope from there. Mostly health reasons rather than ethical reasons. 

I was lead this direction after watching vegan gains YouTube channel. Big headed beta doche I know but arguments are so  compelling so rather than being  naive and  disregarding his thoughts ( supported by medical journals ) I thought I would see for myself. 

One of the videos is below 

1 hour ago, jimmybro1 said:

The past fortnight have gone vegan 5 days a week

So hang on... while you were giving us shit about Intermittent Fasting, you were actually on a vegan diet!  ;-D

Fair enough, mate... it's always interesting to try these things out. For the sake of the science, I'd be really interested in seeing your calories and macros before and now, and what happens to your strength and physique. I know you're not bodybuilding, but if you can take photos, that would be fascinating.

7 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

So hang on... while you were giving us shit about Intermittent Fasting, you were actually on a vegan diet!  ;-D

Fair enough, mate... it's always interesting to try these things out. For the sake of the science, I'd be really interested in seeing your calories and macros before and now, and what happens to your strength and physique. I know you're not bodybuilding, but if you can take photos, that would be fascinating.

Maybe Re:photos but never took before photos as like you said I don't train for physique purposes. Hard to judge strenght to as coming back from injury. 

Intermittent fasting is rubbish Haha ?

28 minutes ago, Bigken1985 said:

Sorry bro, I cant believe you took that Vegan gains guys bait, meat doesn't cause heart disease bro, a rubbish diet full of trans fats and refined carbs over a extended period does. And have you seen Vegan gains, its likely he couldn't lift his boyfriend off him

Who ever said meat causes heart disease?

1 hour ago, GyzzBrah said:

Im glad sustainability was not a significant reason for your diet, hope it goes well for you.

What was your total cholestrol before / after jimmy?

As above bro. Total 3.8mmol/L before 3.1mmol/L after.

Perhaps not a significant change but moving in a favorable direction. Both results are considered healthy. 

42 minutes ago, Bruce Al said:

So actually not one day is vegan.

How do you feel after 5 days of no meat?

Also, is Beetroot high in protein?

Nah Beetroot not high in protein four burger patties comes to 25g protein. Tastes good though. 

Yeah your right not one day is 100% vegan. The 2 scoops of whey is to try make up protein that the diet can't provide as I am not so aware of vegan high protein foods. Adds 50g of protein to diet daily.  The fish oil is for joints and general health. 

Feel fine after eating no meat more frequent bowel movements though. Energy feels fine, I am taking multi vitamins but was also taking them before the diet change. 

Vitamin and mineral intake is: 

- B complex x2

- 400IU vitamin E 

-30mg Zinc 

-20,000 mg fish oil  

1 hour ago, Bigken1985 said:

Sorry bro, I cant believe you took that Vegan gains guys bait, meat doesn't cause heart disease bro, a rubbish diet full of trans fats and refined carbs over a extended period does. And have you seen Vegan gains, its likely he couldn't lift his boyfriend off him

Cholesterol and high blood pressure cause heart disease.

Animal fats are high in cholesterol.

7 minutes ago, Bruce Al said:

Its not the actual cholesterol in foods that gives you high cholesterol right?

No its a combination if shitty excessive eating and for some people hormonal/genetic issues that lead to a propensity for high cholesterol due to the bodies inability to process cholesterol effectively. 

32 minutes ago, jimmybro1 said:

Doctors monitoring it? Thats just outside reference. 

Might need to up the cardio and reduce saturated fat intake. Cholesterol not something you want high especially at your age. 

Whats your BP?  

No clue Ill get it checked soon I guess, family history of heart disease and whatnot.

Ever since I was kid, used to come last in every race / athletic event. And by "last" I mean very last. I was actually quite sporty, did cricket / soccer and cycled on weekends, played sport at lunchtime etc.

Despite this, I would always come last, even to those skinny nerdy kids that sat on a calculator all day etc. Even fat kids used to beat me easy.

Might have to look into this vegan thing when im your age if I wanna live haha. Be good to see how this diet affects your progress etc, if at all