NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
maccaz

Hip imbalance/weakness

Hey,

So I have just come back from an injured hip. Rehab'd with typical hip stuff, band crab walk, lots of stretching, lots of adducter/abducter. Inflammation/pain gone

i thought tightness had gone but noticed on squat the bar is not completely level. a guy commented on the video (very knowledgeable so i trust or at least value his input) that it looks like "left abducter or hammie is turning off". left glute does feel different to right when squatting, not pain or tightness though just like it tenses differently. so hard to explain or even show someone really.. This guy picked it up off watching one set of 3 reps, so its bad enough to need addressing. also commented that it could be fatigue, which could contribute as it was my last set 6 of 6 . next squat day i will film all sets and see if it occurs early on when no fatigue.

video 

i've always been weaker on left side, quad is bit smaller etc on that side too.

i want to nip this in the bud before it escalates and causes another injury. Does anyone have any input? 

I am making a time to see a better physio tomorrow and hopefully get a better idea, but also physio's are really hit and miss and i dont want to go to 5x physios at 90-100$ each for initial consultation (no acc)

so any input greatly appreciated. Imagine I need to strengthen that area more and isolate the left side but unsure how except maybe banded abducter/adducter movements on that side only? also to get glutes evenly activating i dunno? way outside my area of expertise.

in the meantime i can squat sweet as, just dont want to injure myself again from inbalance.,

@OnlyHuman @HumanPerformance guys? 

chur

Maybe it's weak cause it's been injuried/ still is? Have you had a professional opinion on it like from a physio or someone medically qualified?

this reason why gym is good with machines in it as opposed to just squat racks and barbells 

10 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Sorry didn't read the whole post properly. Yes great idea to get medical opinion over 'bro' opinion. I woulda got from the start

yeah so the first physio i saw seemed alright in that he knew what the issue was and how to fix the "injury" but nothing about imbalance or whatever going forward.

got a good recommendation for another one ongoing so trying to get in tomorrow, keep it under control/fix it so i can keep squatting.

kept other gym membership for now so can always go do rehab shit with machines when i need to ie doing the usual hip routine tonight there. probably cancel it when im 100% sorted.

Story of my life bro (imbalances ) my right quad is bigger even though I'm left handed I have had my left side go slack in a comp and upper back caved in throwing me forward at the top. It's annoying as fk. I just try not to break myself 

Do you mean the bar is tilted in a way, like it is sloping on your back? 

Do you get any side to side movement during the squat as you fatigue?

Do you noticed if your feet is turned out (or in more) when not under load, eg standing at the toilet taking a piss and your feet aren't placed even but it still feels "ok or even" to stand like it. 

2 hours ago, OnlyHuman said:

Do you mean the bar is tilted in a way, like it is sloping on your back? 

Do you get any side to side movement during the squat as you fatigue?

Do you noticed if your feet is turned out (or in more) when not under load, eg standing at the toilet taking a piss and your feet aren't placed even but it still feels "ok or even" to stand like it. 

tilted like one side comes down faster than other causing a tilt.

no side to side movement that i notice

potentially side in question feels more natural a bit further toes out

went to physiotherapist by the way, he thinks the issue is:

LHS adducter/abducter, hamstring, glute, quad weakness relative to RHS with weak surrounding musclature. (spelling)

Injury probably caused by being weaker on left side, then favouring right side while injured (limping or whatever even subtle) cause the left to become even weaker relative to right.

so yeah im all for other opinions but have been working on bringing up the left side with stepups etc. feelign better but havent taken a front on video to see if any change yet.

I have an issue with my right side glutes not working properly while running. I will be trying some single leg squats to try and wake them up /get more balanced with the other side.