High reps for muscle growth

muscle99

21 minutes ago, muscle99 said:

Am interested in hearing opinions on the use of high reps for muscle growth. Being more than 12 reps onwards. Probably should state whether you are natty or not.

i get much more doms from 8-12 than from 3-5. i know doms isnt a good measure of how much it will grow but must have some correlation.

in any case you shouldnt be too worried about growth considering you plan to lose 50kg or whatever it is

9 minutes ago, maccaz said:

i get much more doms from 8-12 than from 3-5. i know doms isnt a good measure of how much it will grow but must have some correlation.

in any case you shouldnt be too worried about growth considering you plan to lose 50kg or whatever it is

Just because I'm gonna cut doesn't mean I don't want to learn everything I can about building muscle lol. I'm gonna build first for 6 months to get some gains back first as I think the more muscle one has the easier it is to shred.

You seem to be all over the place with your questions lol.

High reps have there place for sure, I have been known to do sets of 50-100+ from time to time, read my journal for examples.

But by the sounds of it you're rather a beginner and I would suggest sticking to getting stronger in the 6-12 rep range and maybe throw in some 15-30 rep sets on isolation stuff like Leg Extension, Pressdowns, Side Raises etc to get a pump but would spend majority of your time hitting more bang for your buck exercises and going in the medium rep range to ensure you can use a reasonable weight for you and get enough time under tension.

5 minutes ago, BeastBuilder said:

You seem to be all over the place with your questions lol.

High reps have there place for sure, I have been known to do sets of 50-100+ from time to time, read my journal for examples.

But by the sounds of it you're rather a beginner and I would suggest sticking to getting stronger in the 6-12 rep range and maybe throw in some 15-30 rep sets on isolation stuff like Leg Extension, Pressdowns, Side Raises etc to get a pump but would spend majority of your time hitting more bang for your buck exercises and going in the medium rep range to ensure you can use a reasonable weight for you and get enough time under tension.

to add to what beastbuilder said on variety

fastest improvement in size and strength i have ever  had has been throughdoing  3-8 rep heavy compounds eg squat or bench, with 15-25 rep isolations eg leg extension/tricep pressdown

The rep range used is only a tiny part of the recipe for muscle growth.

The way the rep is performed, form, tempo, time under tension, intensity, rest between sets, volume, rest between workouts, caloric deficit/surplus, macro breakdown etc etc etc all have a huge play on it

I could say doing 3 sets of 12 reps is way more beneficial for muscle growth.  But will you grow better doing 12 reps where you're just pumping them out in one second per rep than 5 slow, controlled reps where you have a 3 second eccentric, 1 second pause, 3 second concentric?  I dont think so.  You need to look at the big picture.  I could grow doing singles, or I can grow doing 1000 rep workouts.  Theres no right or wrong way to do it.

You're looking for a simple answer to a question with so many variables it wouldnt be fair to summarise in a single forum post.

The best thing you can do is go to the gym, get in the rhythm of just turning up 5 times a week for 60-90 minutes and training hard.  I would really recommend you get a training partner or personal trainer who can show you how to get the most out of your training.

I agree that its a good idea to build some muscle before going on a 50kg cut.  I can guarantee you will end up losing fat in the process.  The higher the muscle mass on your frame the easier the body fat will be to come off.

And a side note, dont ask for a caveat on your posts to disclose PED use or not.  Thats a personal question and absolutely none of your business.  Whether some has used or not has very little bearing on the credibility of their advice.

Good luck with your journey.  Get stuck in and make it happen :)

just thought I would add that as you develop you may prefer higher reps, I found that as my strength increased the heavy/low rep stuff increases risk of injury. i also find i get a good mind muscle connection with lighter weight and can focus on getting a stronger contraction and get better muscle pumps.

Apologies if what I'm about to type has already been said, I haven't read the thread. Rep ranges are a good guide but its more about TUT or time under the bar.

I definitely prefer 6-12 for muscle growth and to be honest more so 6-10.

Once TUT reaches a certain number, I think above 18 seconds but I could be wrong your body supposedly starts to release cortisol which is obviously detrimental to growth. This is getting quite complex and I dont think training needs to be complex.

Just keep the weight heavy, the form clean, FEEL what you are doing, train to failure and watch your body grow (given you are eating correctly)

The whole cortisol thing is just a way for your body to mobilise more fuel to do work. Only chronically elevated cortisol has any real appreciable effect on body comp. Having said that, high reps definitely have less of a place when it comes to muscle growth as tension is the number one contributor to hypertrophy. To create enough fatigue to generate appreciable hypertrophy using super high reps generally becomes impractical, no one wants to spend their whole life in the gym. Lower loads also fail to recruit high threahold motor units which generally have a higher propensity for hypertrophy. 6-12 reps is generally considered where you should spend the majority of your workout, with some low rep stuff also. Increase volume over time.