Gymnation app

muscle99

11 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Not yet, but it's on my wishlist. What would you like it to do?

Was just wondering if there was an app as apps seem way easier to use than webpage but after saying that I really like gymnation as its so user friendly. Only thing is the private messaging is real hard to work out but could be just because I use it on a phone.

There's a few reasons  we're not on Tapatalk...

1) It won't support any custom features we add,

2) The forum makes its income through sponsorship and advertising - and we can't do that on Tapatalk, and

3) I've read conversations between other forum admins who see Tapatalk as becoming increasingly dodgy - I can't remember the specifics now, but it was enough to make me think I didn't want to sign up to it.

The idea is that this site will become so mobile friendly, it's basically like using an app anyway. The software we're using now is really focused on achieving that, and they're making continual improvements all the time.

Having said that, I can see there are some benefits of an app - notifications of PMs/replies/etc would be good on the phone for instance. So it may happen.

(And in the meantime I'll see what we can do about the PM situation, @muscle99)

39 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

The idea is that this site will become so mobile friendly, it's basically like using an app anyway. 

This. Im kind of in this area for a job and i strongly strongly recommend avoiding going down the app dev path. 

So painful for little reward. Just think about the variety of android versions out there alone for compatibility 

Browser based ftw. This works well as is i reckon. Few tweaks here and there and itll be perfect. 

People come for content not bells and whistles 

On 23/01/2016 at 10:51 PM, Realtalk said:

Just so annoying getting a notification beep on your phone at midnight

Couldn't agree more! I don't mind notifications during the day, but I can't understand why apps (or the phone OS itself) don't support a "quiet mode" between certain hours. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Ours would certainly have that!

I use Volume Butler, which is great. I can set up different volume profiles based on whether I'm at work/home/out/sleeping/etc. I can recommend it if you're on Android.

11 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Couldn't agree more! I don't mind notifications during the day, but I can't understand why apps (or the phone OS itself) don't support a "quiet mode" between certain hours. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Ours would certainly have that!

I use Volume Butler, which is great. I can set up different volume profiles based on whether I'm at work/home/out/sleeping/etc. I can recommend it if you're on Android.

haha are you on of those guys with 50 apps and a messy as home screen ? !

Quite the opposite. I don't install anything unless I'm sure I'm going to use it. And it has to be used a LOT before it gets anywhere close to the home screen. Volume Butler just runs automatically in the background, so it doesn't get a shortcut outside of the Apps folder at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25 January 2016 at 7:41 PM, Pseudonym said:

Quite the opposite. I don't install anything unless I'm sure I'm going to use it. And it has to be used a LOT before it gets anywhere close to the home screen. Volume Butler just runs automatically in the background, so it doesn't get a shortcut outside of the Apps folder at all.

Is there a possibility to just use a normal app, where you don't have to pay anything to set it up (may incur additional costs to make it better) but you link it to members.

For example, on instagram, you make a post of someone (with their permission because some people want to stay anonymous) saying this is www.gymnation.co.nz member @member you can follow his workout journal here www.gymnation.co.nz/RealTalklixballbagzzzzzz or things of that nature.

Maybe even a Snapchat where some people can get the password, upload training videos on to it and every 5th snap is a black screen with the website URL. Should anyone change the password, you have the email to change it.

I'm sure we would get a lot of dickheads coming in, but I was too when I started out. If more people are on here, we can help to educate the masses and getting a reach on more popular social media platforms for free would be good.

Besides,  you haven't advertised on Instagram for 22 weeks!!! Easy opportunities are being missed

15 hours ago, Shutupandsquat said:

you haven't advertised on Instagram for 22 weeks!!! Easy opportunities are being missed

I know, I know! And Facebook is nagging me about that too.

The trouble is social media requires an ongoing time commitment. And between all the other things that need doing - stoking discussions on the forum and answering the topics no-one else does, replying to emails, fixing code issues, working with developers on custom things we want added, organising authors for our new articles section, writing articles for our new articles section, trying to get other Gymnation projects off the ground, etc, etc, etc... Competitions would be good, but I haven't thought about them at all this year.

None of that changes the fact that a social media presence is critical for us. But I simply haven't had time to do it in the couple of hours I get to work on Gymnation each day. I need a social media manager - and in all seriousness, finding one is actually on the to-do list (albeit buried in a pile of other to-do lists!)

Would you like to apply for the role, @Shutupandsquat? The pay's not great, but the job satisfaction is immense. :-D

9 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

None of that changes the fact that a social media presence is critical for us. But I simply haven't had time to do it in the couple of hours I get to work on Gymnation each day. I need a social media manager - and in all seriousness, finding one is actually on the to-do list (albeit buried in a pile of other to-do lists!)

You could probably find one pretty easily on here!

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Applications are now open, Georg! :smile: Drop me a PM if you want to lend a hand.

georg works in communications

perfect candidate

i know we talked about helping out ages ago (think i still have a login on the accounts!) and i'd be really keen, but works just too hectic at the moment, priority is to squeeze more hours of sleep into my day, before i try and help out here!

2 hours ago, maccaz said:

georg works in communications

perfect candidate

i know we talked about helping out ages ago (think i still have a login on the accounts!) and i'd be really keen, but works just too hectic at the moment, priority is to squeeze more hours of sleep into my day, before i try and help out here!

Cmon you are gymnations most prolific poster.. you and gyzzbrah... you guys should collaborate on it :) 

3 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Cmon you are gymnations most prolific poster.. you and gyzzbrah... you guys should collaborate on it :) 

lol

you, realtalk, i declare war, snoopy, and anyone else that has had an argument with each other should all do a podcast together where you argue with each other for 45 mins a day

id subscribe to that

Hey I'd do it :)

Nothing like a little name calling and Internet heroics to create some real amusement ha ha ha 

I'm pretty sure I've never had an argument with anyone though. Just been abused.. make a couple of real comments about things and all of sudden the name calling starts ha ha ha ha 

On 3 February 2016 at 0:24 AM, Pseudonym said:

Would you like to apply for the role, @Shutupandsquat? The pay's not great, but the job satisfaction is immense. :-D

I actually wouldn't mind helping a little, though I wouldn't be able to take on a full role. At least not at this time since I'm trying to build up my PT business. I want to get my grounding sorted on that before trying to open new doors