NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
quentingibson

Elbow Injury

Hi Guys,

I have been lifting now for five months, getting stronger and slightly bigger etc. I have noticed (in the last three months) I started to get a pain in left elbow which hinders a number of exercises I do with free weights. I went to the Dr and he said it was tennis elbow.  I think he was wrong and I may have a type of arthritis as the pain feels more at the joint and is worse in the mornings and at night, plus my finger joints seem to click but no pain there.  

I basically cannot do any hammer curl type exercise and some times can hardly lift my elbow with any weights towards my shoulder, but can do normal barbell curls with no problems.

My question is does anyone else have a similar issue and how do you cope with it, as it really bothers me and should I go back and get x-rays etc.

I would recommend searching up on YouTube some basic soft tissue work for tennis elbow and forearms there's a few good videos. Also it can not hurt to alter your diet slightly for a couple of weeks to see if it helps. Myself being a fighter have popped both shoulders and an elbow in training over the years and absolutely notice more inflammation and soreness when I'm eating a lot of sugar and "crap"  foods, I also add a lot of ginger and tumeric and take a few fish oil daily with my food during times high repetition eg during camp when il be drilling a lot.

What exercises cause you problems? I had major elbow pain at one stage which use to wake me up at night. Im also pretty sure it was caused buy pressing. Anyhow what eventually fixed the problem was training forearms, both flexors and extensors, so im guessing was caused by muscle imbalance. Could be worth a try

Is it on the inside or the outside of the elbow?

If outside, it's likely tennis elbow.

http://www.sportsmed.net.nz/patient-info/arm-and-elbow/tennis-elbow/

If inside, it's likely golfer's elbow.
http://www.sportsmed.net.nz/patient-info/arm-and-elbow/golfers-elbow/

I would try those exercises for a bit, and if that doesn't work go to a sports doc. The Sportsmed guys are great, and I'm sure Wellington would have someone similar. But start with the simple rehab stuff first.

On 1/14/2016 at 0:56 PM, quentingibson said:

"...I basically cannot do any hammer curl type exercise and some times can hardly lift my elbow with any weights towards my shoulder, but can do normal barbell curls with no problems...."

When your hands are in a hammer curl position the radiobrachialis and brachialis muscles are somewhat  emphasised / better positioned to contribute to elbow flexion. (The same movement with a slight modification is offten used as an orthopedic stress test to check for tendonopathy issues etc.) 

If you had arthiritis issue .... you would be more likely to suffer during BB curl movements as well as these still stress the elbow joint regardless hand position. (IMO) 

I think your doc was right , it sounds like tenis elbow issues. Go and check out the places Pseudo recommended.

Good luck :-)

I had tennis elbow a couple years ago when I was getting really strong. It happened because I arm wrestled this jacked dude on roids. Started after that.

I would feel like I'm fine then try to lift light warmup sets or two, or throw the american football around with my buddies then all of a sudden have a severe, very intense pain in my elbow. Id run it under cold water if it was available and just wait for it to subside. Really impressed by the pain it gave me, honestly.

the cure: REST

Honestly just give it some time. When you think its fine and want to try it, dont, give it another week or two to be sure.

My broscience cure: REST.... and compression. LIke an elbow wrap.

If its not tennis elbow then I dont know, I'm not a doc :) 

Feel better!