Prehab/ mobility

Skeletor

Having never really done a lot of prehab/mobility work I've never really seen the importance of it but starting this new program Thomas has got me doing a whole lot of band work and stretching and I'm pretty surprised by the improvement in mobility and recovery around my hips.  Crab walks,  banded clams, internal and external rotations, abductors and adductors as well as foam rolling are a bulk of it but keen to add in some more.  Also training abs now as I've never really done about work and have a weak core to show for it.  What type of mobility work etc do you guys do?

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

Having never really done a lot of prehab/mobility work I've never really seen the importance of it but starting this new program Thomas has got me doing a whole lot of band work and stretching and I'm pretty surprised by the improvement in mobility and recovery around my hips.  Crab walks,  banded clams, internal and external rotations, abductors and adductors as well as foam rolling are a bulk of it but keen to add in some more.  Also training abs now as I've never really done about work and have a weak core to show for it.  What type of mobility work etc do you guys do?

i gotta say bro, i wish someone had forced me to do more prehab and mobility work 6 months ago. i was lazy and it came back to bite me lol i feel like it was a big factor in me being out of squatting for some time with sore hip. soon as i started the mobility "rehab" stuff it felt better quickly, after a month of slow improvement 

i now have a good hip/lower body routine i do but its too little too late really, but will do it before training lower body from now on for sure. 

Yea I only just started focusing a lot more on mobility stuff in the last 12 months after I started working with Tom. One because I didn't think I needed it, like any meathead I would have rather done some extra weights, and two because I had no idea where to start or what my issues were.

But my current go to if I do a whole mobility session I work down my body, so start with Upper Back, Shoulders, Pecs with foam rolling, baseball rolling, banded stretches, dislocations with broomstick, rotation exercises.

Then Lats and Erectors, I do foam rolling on different angles, stretches.

Then do Glutes (Min then Max) and Hammys with foam rolling, few static stretches, baseball in there if need be, banded distraction stretches.

Then I hit Quads with foam roller hard and few stretches.

Do a Super Squat Sequence from Mobility WoD on Youtube, awesome hip stretches.

Then I move around a bit see what if anything needs more work.

Hips, Tight Quads, Tight Pec Minors, Rough Shoulders are my biggest issues hence why I focus on those areas.

18 hours ago, BeastBuilder said:

Yea I only just started focusing a lot more on mobility stuff in the last 12 months after I started working with Tom. One because I didn't think I needed it, like any meathead I would have rather done some extra weights, and two because I had no idea where to start or what my issues were.

But my current go to if I do a whole mobility session I work down my body, so start with Upper Back, Shoulders, Pecs with foam rolling, baseball rolling, banded stretches, dislocations with broomstick, rotation exercises.

Then Lats and Erectors, I do foam rolling on different angles, stretches.

Then do Glutes (Min then Max) and Hammys with foam rolling, few static stretches, baseball in there if need be, banded distraction stretches.

Then I hit Quads with foam roller hard and few stretches.

Do a Super Squat Sequence from Mobility WoD on Youtube, awesome hip stretches.

Then I move around a bit see what if anything needs more work.

Hips, Tight Quads, Tight Pec Minors, Rough Shoulders are my biggest issues hence why I focus on those areas.

I only do half arsed mobility, but its helped my back pain considerably.

Is this a routine you go through before pr after each lifting session Beast or something separate at home?

I do some. I have an upper body routine I go through every morning before I leave the house for work, mainly to stretch through my pecs, rotators and my shoulder rotation I use a broomstick and lacrosse ball for a lot of this so some stretching, mobility and release. Takes me about 10mins. Every evening before bed I have a lower body routine which is your general static stretches and foam rolling. This takes about 10min too.

i really feel like there is no limit to this sometimes. My lower body stuff is pretty standard it's not really powerlifting specific (whatever that even is) but i don't have time to do shit with bands in the gym. You gotta be careful not to get obsessed with this sorta thing imo. the mobility and stretches are endless. I also sorta feel like if you are having to spend 20 min pre training session to get loose and warm up. Then after training another allocation of time and coming up with all this crazy shit then maybe you need to reassess your training methods and technique or maybe just retire. I know of some guys who are doing like 25 min prehab before their 60min train. It just doesn't make alot of sense to me. Pretty simplistic view but it's only simple stuff. 3 lift isn't gymnastics. I think most of the powerlifting stuff can be sorted by just being fit, healthy and not over weight. 

Edited by Realtalk

55 minutes ago, Longboa said:

I only do half arsed mobility, but its helped my back pain considerably.

Is this a routine you go through before pr after each lifting session Beast or something separate at home?

Definitely not before and after sessions bro, I'd lose my mind and would take way too long.

This would be a separate session by itself or with some cardio or activation exercises if I was focusing on either of those aspects.

I generally do it at home at the moment cos I have a mat, foam roller, band and ball at home so way more convenient than going all the way to the gym.

11 hours ago, Realtalk said:

I have an upper body routine I go through every morning before I leave the house for work... Takes me about 10mins. Every evening before bed I have a lower body routine ... This takes about 10min too.

That's still quite a lot of work - pretty committed!

I'm trying to be better at doing this stuff regularly... as actual PRE-hab. But mostly it takes an injury or twinge before I do anything, and then I only do it until the twinge goes away. At the moment I have a niggly shoulder, so I'm doing lots of pec stretching and shoulder "dislocations" with a broomstick.

7 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

That's still quite a lot of work - pretty committed!

I'm trying to be better at doing this stuff regularly... as actual PRE-hab. But mostly it takes an injury or twinge before I do anything, and then I only do it until the twinge goes away. At the moment I have a niggly shoulder, so I'm doing lots of pec stretching and shoulder "dislocations" with a broomstick.

I thought that in the beginning. Iv tried to make it habit. Consistency is the most important factor in stretching and mobility work. And the only way for me to get consistency is to break it up and keep it short and sharp. If I did it altogether for 20min once a day it probably wouldn't get done.