Hook grip?

Bigken1985

Yes, I've pulled up to 320kg with it.

Tape the thumbs, with elastoplast tape, I usually start at the top and go down using strips about 2cm wide. You're aiming to still be able to bend the thumb, while not being too loose that a heavy lift will cause the tape to slide off.

I tend to not use the hook on higher reps, but at the same time you need to 'break the thumb in' and get it used to the pain. That could be done by doing a few higher rep sets initially. These days I don't need to use tape.

Regardless, it's never painless for deads.

10 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Out of curiosity what are the benefits of using hook grip in powerlifting?  Why would someone choose to use it over the standard ? 

Its stronger than an alternated grip.  An alternated grip isn't actually any stronger than a double overhand grip it just stops the bar slipping out, as when it rolls out of one hand it just rolls into the other. If your grip is weak it will still let go of an alternated grip. Hook grip is the strongest grip.

its also the safest too. Lots of guys tear theit bicep on  the palm facing forward arm. If you are prone to tearing biceps or don't want to risk it then hook grip is the safe option for this. That's why powerlifters will do it. Hook grip is most common in Olympic lifting and strongman events without straps (herc hold, farmers walk). These athlete who switch to powerlifting will more than lokley hook grip their deadlifts.