maccaz 2018 prep log

maccaz

been away at a mine site so havent been gym since sunday. squat tonight, bench tomorrow, deadlift sunday.

also got a standing desk at work, which im hoping will help a bit with posture and hip tightness etc as i was spending 10-11 hours/day sitting previously, now will sit far less. maybe 1-2 hours a day when driving + in meetings.

w14d2 (lsat night)

got to gym and he tells me theyre closing early, had to be done in 40 mins including stretch and warm up.

squat

70 x 5

120 x 5

160 x 3

180 x 1

200 x 1 (added wraps here)

210 x 1 

220 3x1

very happy with this. heaviest ive done since nz nats in july.

this was walked out, on a whippy shaky bar, with no time to stretch or warm up as much as i normally would. soon as i break at the top the bar starts shaking, and same when i change direction at the bottom. gonna be good with a squat bar in monolift

W16d2 

bench press 

60 x 3

80 x 3

90 x 3

110 x 15 big pb had 5x3 but just ground out 15 because they felt good. Was hard. 

Ohp

60 3x10

lots of arms 

bw 108.7

sleep and eat till Friday or Saturday when I do openers and seconds 

Probably my best day of lifting yet. 

Weighed in 108.6 which is the lightest I have competed and around 11.5kg lighter than my last meet. 

squats went 205/222.5/240 all easy as.

bench went 115/125/135 and that third bench was the only lift I really had to work for all day. 

Deadlidt went 205/225/240

This gave me 615 and third place (although bogus circus fed so doesn't mean a hell of a lot) 

i went in hoping for 230/130/230 so very happy! 

Now back to the grind for gpc spring cup in Brisbane in around 4 months where I will get a new pb total 

Going forward I need to stay uninjured and pick up my mental game as I wanted to be a lot more conservative on my third squat and dead until I was encouraged to up them to 240. In hindsight I had a lot more in the deadlift especially so gotta be a bit bolder on attempt selection. 

Here are the videos 

Next competition is gpc spring cup in Brisbane on 26 August 

w1d1

hips real tight today as haven't lifted or stretched since comp, my bad.

joined new gym real good with monolift, heaps of good bars and heaps of acxsssory gear. Should be a good prep. 

Im gonna make an effort to be very consistent with accessory lifts which has been lacking lately 

also got my girlfriend (also my training partner lol) onto my coach and our programs are similar enough that it makes things a bit easier to work in and get things done quickly. 

Squat 

65x 5 

105 x 5

135 6x8

deficit deadlift 

70 x 5

120 3x5 

ghr

4x10 

Leg press 

200 4x10

abs (dead bugs)

4x20

band clamshells 

4x15

then went for a bush walk up a mountain thing called hanging rock. Was a massive uphill mission, felt good when I got to the top though. About 1800m of rough up hill which is a lot of walking for me when it's basically climbing 

w2d1 (this was on saturday)

bench

60 x 5

80 5x8

cg bench

70 5x10

bar row

75 4x12

bicep curls, various dbs, 5x12

tricep pressdowns, various attachments, 5x12

prone cobra (thoracic extension movement) 5x10

done

i want to get good at barbell rows, ive always been weak at them, so im going to add 5kg a week and hopefully wind up at 100kg for multiple 10s eventually. cant hurt. i doubt i can do 100x5 right now.

w2d2

bodyweight 105.9 today. im keeping weight down and leaning out for next few weeks, then will do a very slow, sensible (for the first time ever) bulk to 114 or so over the course of the 12 week prep. this will let me put on 8-9kg over a prep which will help strength heaps, while keeping me well in range for an easy cut to 110s for gpc spring cup.

squat

60 x 5

100 x 5

145 6x8 bloody cardio. video of one of the sets below

deficit deadlift

135 3x5

leg press

200 4x10

ghr

4x10 (getting better at these but still very bad)

deadbugs 5xamrap

banded squats 5x10

banded clamshells 5x10

w2d3

deadlift on brand new texas dl bar, hand shredder

70 x 5

120 x 5

150 6x8  (one set shown below)

ssb squat (22kg bar)

72 x 5

102 x 5

122 3x8

SLDL

120 3x10

band wall squats

5xfail

good morning

55kg 4x10

looking reasonably lean atm. been eating very "clean" and not really counting calories too closely, just rough guesstimates, and the volume is reducing my fat. body weight is 106.2 today.