NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Bigken1985

Keep pulling errector/back

So a few weeks back I hit a set of 9 deadlift and on the last rep my form must have broken, and I tweaked what feels like a lower errector  this was conventional off the floor. Now I let it heal up and was just doin 4inch sumo block pulls. Similar thing bout the 7th rep. Wasn't even the heaviest set was only 160. In guessing as fatigue sets in my form is doing something to break down. Starting to annoy me though as it's getting closer to getting ready for comps. There's heaps of vids on my insta and u tubes

https://youtu.be/FhhEGCoYKZU

Can't see anything obvious from that vid.

The faitgue and technical breakdown as the set goes on is probably the biggest problem but if you're following an AMRAP programme this is kinda unavoidable unless you take a hit to the ego and stop yourself a couple reps early and count failure as technical breakdown rather than actually failing a rep.

Although a couple things are the most common causes I've seen for straining Erectors are:

Uneven Hip tightness causing you to pull twisted, can be caused by doing mixed grip the same way all the time (I pull mixed all the time and haven't had this issue but some people do), or doing uneven mobility work on each side so you're tighter on one side or in opposite spots. 

Weak Inner Abs (Inner Obliques &Transverse Abs) can cause the lower back to over compensate or pull on awkward angles, especially when fatigued. They're a hard muscle group to activate for most people. Can pay to get a good physio to help you with whether you're activating them or not, or if you can justify an ultrasound you can quite easily see them tense and release and if you can control them or not (I've had this done and it's a very interesting experience, I apparently have very good control of mine and they act as a belt to make my core quite strong)

There's probably plenty of other things that could be causing it but that's two things I've seen in people that cause those issues.

53 minutes ago, BeastBuilder said:

Can't see anything obvious from that vid.

The faitgue and technical breakdown as the set goes on is probably the biggest problem but if you're following an AMRAP programme this is kinda unavoidable unless you take a hit to the ego and stop yourself a couple reps early and count failure as technical breakdown rather than actually failing a rep.

Although a couple things are the most common causes I've seen for straining Erectors are:

Uneven Hip tightness causing you to pull twisted, can be caused by doing mixed grip the same way all the time (I pull mixed all the time and haven't had this issue but some people do), or doing uneven mobility work on each side so you're tighter on one side or in opposite spots. 

Weak Inner Abs (Inner Obliques &Transverse Abs) can cause the lower back to over compensate or pull on awkward angles, especially when fatigued. They're a hard muscle group to activate for most people. Can pay to get a good physio to help you with whether you're activating them or not, or if you can justify an ultrasound you can quite easily see them tense and release and if you can control them or not (I've had this done and it's a very interesting experience, I apparently have very good control of mine and they act as a belt to make my core quite strong)

There's probably plenty of other things that could be causing it but that's two things I've seen in people that cause those issues.

Yeah I'm certainly pretty unbalanced one side to the other. (Most people are)  I'm thinking of keeping reps down because it's not heavier weight that does it it's more when I let my guard down with my form slightly. I try and pull with straps where I can. Hook grips not  a option as tiny thumbs. Do you think building them up more would help. i.e. extensions, good mornings etc?

Oh everyone is definitely not exactly symmetrical for sure. Always going to have something out of balance but the more you can minimise the difference and try hold yourself center the better off it is so doing some mixed grip work with your hands opposite to usual or double overhand on your lighter sets may be beneficial if the twisted hips really affects you.

Well if you've found that, then maybe it is just when you get loose and let your form down in which case it's an easy fix don't be lazy and stay tight lol.

Building your Erectors can help as then they can handle more stress but they can also tighten up more and become more susceptible to being injured if your other Core muscles don't keep up.

In saying that I've never met someone who had a Back that was too strong lol

7 hours ago, BeastBuilder said:

Oh everyone is definitely not exactly symmetrical for sure. Always going to have something out of balance but the more you can minimise the difference and try hold yourself center the better off it is so doing some mixed grip work with your hands opposite to usual or double overhand on your lighter sets may be beneficial if the twisted hips really affects you.

Well if you've found that, then maybe it is just when you get loose and let your form down in which case it's an easy fix don't be lazy and stay tight lol.

Building your Erectors can help as then they can handle more stress but they can also tighten up more and become more susceptible to being injured if your other Core muscles don't keep up.

In saying that I've never met someone who had a Back that was too strong lol

I might also have to swap my alternate grip for a bit. I feel so weird swapping it. I think muscles have got out of balance