What to expect your first Powerlifting comp

soundsgood

Here is a repost from Scott Wasson - GPC Australia Vice President on what to expect your first powerlifting comp.  it's a great guide and well worth a share.  I have altered it slightly to be more applicable to NZ comps.

-----------

I host a lot of powerlifting events, a lot of them are for complete beginners, and one is very clear, nearly all competitors don’t really know what to expect on comp day.

That’s ok though, I run these events for novices to learn about our sport.

In this post, I want to cover a few of the main things that constantly come up at weigh in, and on comp day.

1- Entering a competition.
The first thing you need to do is actually enter a competition.
Ideally, for programming purposes, you want to pick a competition at least 8 weeks away, though I prefer 16-20.
Because powerlifting has boomed in recent years, you need to make sure you get your entry in before all available spots are filled.

If you intend on competing, get your entry form and fee in as soon as they are released  to ensure you secure your position.

2- Weigh in
Every powerlifting event will require you to weigh in.

Before you can weigh in, we will require you to have your attempt card completed.

card

The attempt card has basic info that we require such as your name, age, whether you are competing raw or equipped (if you are not sure, you are definitely raw) and body weight (which will be recorded by an official at the actual weigh in so leave that part blank).
You will also need to fill in your FIRST attempts for the lifts. Make sure you ask your coach before you get to weigh in as you can not be weighed until they are completed.
If you don’t have a coach, pick a weight you could comfortably do for at least 2 reps.

You need to record your monolift height and whether you are racks in or racks out.
You need to record your bench press height and face saver height also.

Once the card is filled out, you are ready to weigh in!

In a sanctioned GPC event, the MOST you can wear at weigh in is your underwear.
At a novice comp, you can weigh in fully clothed.

If you are not going to win or break a record, DO NOT CUT WEIGHT!

In GPC member comps you have the opportunity to weigh in up to 24 hours before the competition starts which can be handy but really only for serious experienced competitors who are dropping weight.  

In GPC novice comps and all NZPF comps you will weigh in 2 hours before the comp.  

Once you weigh in and give your openers go and get your rack heights sorted.  Don't leave it till the last minute.  Mingle with the other lifters.  This sport is fun and you will make lots of great friends so take the opportunity to network.

The meet organisers always appreciate a hand setting up so if you are up to it, offer to help move equipment around, set up tables.  The spot loaders / table crew / refs are all volunteers so the more help the better 

Things to pack in your training bag.
For a novice comp, you really don’t need much.
Just bring some food, drink bottle and your belt.

For a GPC comp, make sure you have all of your essentials.
Food and drink
Knee wraps, wrist wraps, belt, deadlift socks
SOFT SUIT
Talc, and if you wish, nose tork.

The competition.
Comp day.
For first timers, you are probably going to be incredibly nervous, but that’s ok. That’s why we picked a weight you can comfortably do for a double or triple as your first attempt. You want it to be easy, and lessen the pressure on yourself.
On a 3 lift comp, you will squat, then bench, then deadlift, and a typical comp will go for around 5 hours, but some comps can run for 8-9 hours. It’s a long day. Make sure you stay fed and hydrated.
You will get 3 attempts at each lift to put up the biggest number you can. The biggest squat, bench and deadlift passed by the judges will be added together for your “total”. The highest total in your weight class wins.

I always make sure I have a good breakfast,  a couple of litres of water a few hours before I compete.

Make sure you turn up to competitors briefing on time so you are aware of all the rules, where the toilets etc are and the running of the day.   

Each lift will have a 1min allowance from when the bar is called loaded, until you get timed out. I recommend making sure you are prepped and ready before you name is called. If you’re wrapping knees, start wrapping 3 lifters out. If you are using wrist wraps on bench, make sure you are putting them on whilst the previous lifter is still on the platform. That way you’re ready to go when your name is called.

Squats are up first.
In most competitions, the RAW division allows knee wraps, wrist wraps and a belt.
Once your name is called, approach the platform.
Center yourself under the bar, big breath, chest up, and unrack the bar.
When the referee see’s that you are in control of the bar, they will give the SQUAT command. Once this happens, you can no longer move your feet at all.
You must now squat down to below parallel, and stand back up.
When the referee sees that you have got control of the bar, they will call “RACK”. When you receive that call, you may return the bar to the rack.

A few of the basic rules include:
Do not go over your 1 minute allowance.
Do not move your feet after the squat call.
Squat down so the crease of the hip is below the top surface of the leg at the knee joint.
Wait for your rack call.

squat-depth

After I finish squatting, I’ll eat again. It will normally be something like 2 banana’s, something high in salt, and a protein shake.
The reason I don’t want to go out for steak and chips, is I want it fully digested before I get around to deadlifts.

Bench press is up next.
In most raw competitions, wrist wraps and a belt are allowed to be worn.
Once your name is called, approach the platform.
Set yourself on the bench, and when you’re ready, lift off the bar. Your handler is allowed to pass the bar to you if you wish, but they must leave the platform immediately. The referee will not call START until they are gone.

Once the referee calls START, you can begin your attempt.
Your glutes must stay in contact with the bench for your entire attempt.
When the bar is motionless on your chest, the referee will call PRESS. The length of time you are on your chest is completely up to you. As soon as the bar is motionless, the referee will call it.
Once they call press, move the bar upwards until both arms lock, and wait there until the referee gives you the call “RACK”.

Wait for the commands - Start, Press, Rack.
Make sure you don’t dip the bar after the press command.
Make sure your glutes stay in contact with the bench.
Don’t let your feet move.

The final movement, the deadlift. 
This is where the final results of the competition are generally decided.
In most competitions, belts are the only supportive equipment that is allowed. You must also wear knee high socks.

On the deadlift, once your name is called, you can approach the bar, and pick it up when you are ready (as long as it’s within the 1 minute allowance.
When taking the bar up to lock out, you can NOT hitch or lap the bar to get it there.
Here is a short video of hitching and lapping:

The only command for deadlift is “DOWN”, which signals the lifter that the judge wants you to place the bar back on the ground. Do not drop it, or slam it, that will earn you a red light.

Not starting before the 1 minute allowance.
Hitching or lapping of the bar.
Not locking the shoulder or hips to the judges satisfaction.
Dropping or slamming the bar.

The end of the day!
We’re done!
It’s been a long day for you, but trust me, it’s been a longer day for all of the officials, so make sure you thank them for giving up their Sunday to come down and put on this comp for you.
Please unload any bars in the warm up room, and put your rubbish in the bins.

In a nut shell, that’s all you need to know for your first few comps.
Hopefully this helps all of our newer lifters, especially with weigh in and their attempt cards.

Stay Strong,
Scott Wasson.

4 hours ago, bang_bang said:

I had 6 pieces of chicken and chips from KFC between bench and deads at gpc nats. Not recommended

I had a good strategy that worked for food. Kept me strong but not too full

First thing in morning after weigh in 2 litres powerade with a tsp salt. Hadnt cut weight but it gave me a kg that stayed with no full feeling in stomach.sipped it over a couple hours  

Coffee 

Big breakfast of toast bacon eggs at 10am ish

4x rolls with chicken at 1am didnt wanna feel full for squats 

Lifting started at 3 so from 2 till end of comp i sipped on a 3 litre cordial with 150gm glucose powder disolved. So about 180-200gm carbs in water slowly over the whole comp. Never felt full or bloated at all but plenty of energy. 

I think this was perfect for me and couldn't have done it better for me. Dont like lifting with a full stomach so having a sugary drink constantly was perfect. 

• 6 months later...

Obviously if it is a national champs where there are 3 flights it will be a long day so it would be different to bananas and muesli bars. But not much different to what I would eat at work. Pointless changing eating lots. If you need to change your eating on the day to perform better why the f*ck aren't you eating like that everyday to perform better at training.

a comp is easy it's just 9 singles 3 if which you shouldn't even have to think about. Pointless going over board and making the nutrition rocket science.

RT nailed it... Good breakfast (before weigh-in if you're not worried about making weight), then some clean carbs and sugars. Tins of creamed rice are easy, with e.g. Jet plane lollies for sugar.

hydration's just as important, esp if it's a long comp. Plenty of water.

• 3 months later...

Hey first of all, this thread was really helpful for my first comp earlier this year (raw novice 3 lift).

sorry if bumping wrong thread but is this appropriate place to ask about softsuits for beginners? Still too novice to get in to equipped lifting so will be raw, really just interested in getting opinions on whether worth investing $120 odd for sbd soft suit or are there other cost efficient stuff to get/does it make difference etc?

35 minutes ago, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

Hey first of all, this thread was really helpful for my first comp earlier this year (raw novice 3 lift).

sorry if bumping wrong thread but is this appropriate place to ask about softsuits for beginners? Still too novice to get in to equipped lifting so will be raw, really just interested in getting opinions on whether worth investing $120 odd for sbd soft suit or are there other cost efficient stuff to get/does it make difference etc?

no such thing as too novice to get into equipped. its a different sport almost.

you do raw powerlifting currently.

soft suits i find are all more or less the same? ive worn an sbd one i borrowed, a beast genetics one, and a loaded lifting one.

they were all exactly the same.

loaded lifting one is cheap i think 70 bucks. id recommend that purely based on price and ive been using mine for every training for 8 months and its still in good condition

IMO, there's essentially three types of softsuits:

a. ones made of t-shirt/ sweatpants material - these are getting harder to find but were cheap, around $40 . Don't - just don't :) ;

b. the likes of SBD, Beast Genetics, Lifting large,  Loaded Lifting, shiny spandex material, but thin as anything; and 

c. Titan and Inzer who make thicker ones.  

Choosing between Titan (which I use) and SBD/ Beast/ Loaded lifting - Titan are $USD 70, so about the same as SBD once you've paid shipping.  They are a lot thicker than SBD, but... they're not SBD :)  They last quite well... and can be picked up from any number of internet outlets. Hint: in the US they call them singlets.

SBD - somewhat over-rated at $NZ 120, not sure how well they last, but they're really popular so they must be doing something right, and the NZ distributor's putting a lot of support in.  

Does a soft suit make a difference?  Yep - I've seen guys do novice comps in boardies and miss squat depth 'cos the shorts bound up; i've seen guys blow the ass out of their shorts trying to get depth... or snag a deadlift on the hem of the shorts halfway thru a lift.  

One of the things about it is - does it need to be legal in your fed?  If you want to do a national champ, NZPF for instance applies the IPF rules on soft suits, so pick one from the Approved List.   if your Fed doesn't do that, go with price. They don't really wear out and you can get 2-3 years from one if you look after it.  

There's a guy up north who sells Titan stuff, Darren someone, I can't remember his name, I got a Titan soft suit for like $80 plus $5 shipping and it's pretty nice. Just Google "Titan Powerlifting Gear NZ" or something.

Although with the newer Titan ones be careful not to get pulled up on the double  layer of material they have sewn into the crotch. It makes sense due to Powerlifter thighs lol. But lots of the rulebook say you have to have "a soft suit with a single layer of material" so this can get in the way of any record attempts or higher level competitions you do.

thanks guys, all very informative as usual! im pretty impulsive lately so will just collect the info and wait until my next comp before actually buying one (being very optimisic and hoping i grow up a size by then). assume because it's not supportive equipment like belt/sleeves that it's not something i need to really practice with while wearing?

Darren Neves is the Titan agent, good guy from Auckland.  I think he's been pretty quiet lately though - other things keeping him busy.

@FOTR, if your normal gym gear gives you unrestricted movement, then the only thing that might throw you out is the support, or lack of it, from no drawstring or elastic waistband, and the feeling of having the straps-up when you're squatting/ deadlifting... when you do buy one, do a couple of days in it so that it feels 'normal' when you get to Comp Day.