Where them girls at?

Georg

Got told to post an intro and some stats, maybe even a journal. So, hi! I'm a 23 y/o female living in Hamilton NZ. Always been into fitness and have gone through off and on stages with lifting and always been into running. Something just seems to have finally clicked to do the cardio to weights switch haha I get such a buzz out of getting stronger and wanting to better myself every week with my results. Alongside that, I decided I needed a goal to keep me on track with my lifting so that I have constant motivation and focus. 2016 goal is to compete in IFBB bikini class (I'll be in tall because I'm 172cm) and I don't just want to do it to 'tick it off the bucket list' as such- I want to get up there with 1st place as the goal. I won't get up there if I don't think I'm bringing 110%. I've totally caught the bug with the lifestyle of this all, the hard training and strict dieting etc- I love the structure. Boyf is a physique competitor so it helps that we have common goals and diets etc. I feel like I've learnt a lot in the last few months but I still have HEAPS to learn, hence being here. A few good lols but actually heaps of good advice and knowledge between you all.

I've been on a nutrition plan for 2 months now- I started off at about 59kg and what I would estimate to be around 22-23% BF.

After 1 month of my plan and consistent training (3 days fasted cardio + 5 days weights) I weighed in at 56.4kg and 18.8% BF.

I have my 2 month check in tomorrow morning, feeling like I don't look as lean as 2 weeks ago but I'm hoping that bodyfat is going to pull through in my favour and tell me I've put on some good lean muscle!

At the moment training looks like:

4 days per week fasted cardio- 30 mins walking incline 15 speed 5.5km/h

6 days per week weights- Mon-Friday split looks like: Chest and arms finishers, Legs, Shoulders and arms finishers, Back, Arms

+ glutes/hammies 1 weekend day.

I think that's about it? Pretty different from the rest of you in here! Although there's probably more lurkers like me who haven't popped up yet haha.

Any questions just ask!

4 hours ago, Georg said:

Got told to post an intro and some stats, maybe even a journal. So, hi! I'm a 23 y/o female living in Hamilton NZ. Always been into fitness and have gone through off and on stages with lifting and always been into running. Something just seems to have finally clicked to do the cardio to weights switch haha I get such a buzz out of getting stronger and wanting to better myself every week with my results. Alongside that, I decided I needed a goal to keep me on track with my lifting so that I have constant motivation and focus. 2016 goal is to compete in IFBB bikini class (I'll be in tall because I'm 172cm) and I don't just want to do it to 'tick it off the bucket list' as such- I want to get up there with 1st place as the goal. I won't get up there if I don't think I'm bringing 110%. I've totally caught the bug with the lifestyle of this all, the hard training and strict dieting etc- I love the structure. Boyf is a physique competitor so it helps that we have common goals and diets etc. I feel like I've learnt a lot in the last few months but I still have HEAPS to learn, hence being here. A few good lols but actually heaps of good advice and knowledge between you all.

I've been on a nutrition plan for 2 months now- I started off at about 59kg and what I would estimate to be around 22-23% BF.

After 1 month of my plan and consistent training (3 days fasted cardio + 5 days weights) I weighed in at 56.4kg and 18.8% BF.

I have my 2 month check in tomorrow morning, feeling like I don't look as lean as 2 weeks ago but I'm hoping that bodyfat is going to pull through in my favour and tell me I've put on some good lean muscle!

At the moment training looks like:

4 days per week fasted cardio- 30 mins walking incline 15 speed 5.5km/h

6 days per week weights- Mon-Friday split looks like: Chest and arms finishers, Legs, Shoulders and arms finishers, Back, Arms

+ glutes/hammies 1 weekend day.

I think that's about it? Pretty different from the rest of you in here! Although there's probably more lurkers like me who haven't popped up yet haha.

Any questions just ask!

An other Hamiltonian! 

Whats the logic behide the fasted cardio ? A PT have you doing it ? 

Broscience and all that crap aside. The kind of cardio bodybuilders of any category are doing on a daily basis isn't going to be any more optimal with or without food in their stomachs. They aren't training like a rugby 7s team or running a half marathon. They are walking on a incline treadmill for half an hour or doing some weak interpretation of HIIT that they think is hardcore. No difference.

welcome btw.

My honest feeling about fasted cardio... science aside is that it just works well. Having trained all kinds of people over the years when they do solely hiit or don't do fasted cardio.. I notice when we add fasted cardio. I'm not going to argue with everyone about it cos that's done to death I just know it makes a difference for people I have worked with and in fact when I have done it myself. Anecdotal bro science only. 

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

You should post up some pics in a thong so we can assist further 

I just presumed he was talking to HarryB? :wub:

Heya Georg. I saw you'd posted a couple of times, so it's great to read your intro and know who we're talking to. Welcome to Gymnation.

Particularly if you're starting out, a journal is a really good idea. It lets you look back years from now, and see how far you've progressed. And whether you post them here or not, make sure you take plenty of "before" photos for the same reason. (Also, we do have a Photo of the Month prize, and before/after shots are always good candidates for that.)

8 hours ago, Georg said:

Probably not as different as you'd think - there are a lot of lurkers in the bodybuilding/figure/physique/aesthetics zone. I want to get them a bit more active though, so we'll be running a few competitions for them next year. You've got a good head start!

31 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Probably not as different as you'd think - there are a lot of lurkers in the bodybuilding/figure/physique/aesthetics zone. I want to get them a bit more active though, so we'll be running a few competitions for them next year. You've got a good head start!

this actually, Pseudo, i forgot to mention. A guy I know from NZ who I havent seen in years and didnt know he was on here actually messaged me having been trawling through here and had seen my journal and recognised me from videos lol, so yeah there are far more readers than contributors for sure

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 5:59 PM, jimmybro1 said:

An other Hamiltonian! 

Whats the logic behide the fasted cardio ? A PT have you doing it ? 

No PT,  just something I put into my training programme myself right from the start as HarryB said- it just seems to work well. It's also an easier way for me to fit in 4 days of cardio a week when I'm training 6 days with weights, I don't really have the time to do cardio at the end of 4 sessions.

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 8:00 PM, Michael Knight said:

You should post up some pics in a thong so we can assist further 

That's what my nutritionist and my boyfriend are for!

I know why girls don't post in here now haha most of them probably don't want to deal with comments like that.

10/10 expected a comment like this, should've put inb4 someone asks for posing pictures.

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 9:58 PM, maccaz said:

Michael Knight, you post some thong pics first..

no need to go full creep rat style straight away, this forum needs more members male and female and this one happens to have a good sense of humor when it comes to calling out gyzz brah so is good value in my book.

Where did ratty go? He seemed like a good laugh.

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 10:00 PM, Pseudonym said:

I just presumed he was talking to HarryB? :wub:

Heya Georg. I saw you'd posted a couple of times, so it's great to read your intro and know who we're talking to. Welcome to Gymnation.

Particularly if you're starting out, a journal is a really good idea. It lets you look back years from now, and see how far you've progressed. And whether you post them here or not, make sure you take plenty of "before" photos for the same reason. (Also, we do have a Photo of the Month prize, and before/after shots are always good candidates for that.)

Hi! I might start a journal then, might encourage a few other girls to start commenting/posting. I've got heaps of

before photos and am taking some monthly as I go for progress. So when I have an awesome progress comparison, other than a picture in a thong Michael... I'll post them up.

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 7:17 AM, Skeletor said:

I think I know who you are. You're on instagram yeah? 

I am indeed, do I know you?

Following on from the end of my post, had my check in with my nutritionist on Saturday. A bit disappointed with my BF % because I only went down from 18.8% to 18.4% in a month. Everything went down in calliper measurements except for my tricep went up?! Don't know how my tricep got fatter hahaha.

The last week leading up to check in I was having sort of one or two extra things not on my diet each day (working in an office at Christmas time SUCKS! So much cake and lollies and temptation and I just wasn't that fussed about one extra thing a day). If I had stuck to my diet strictly I might have come down a bit more so I'm a bit gutted because I had been training really hard that month. In saying that, I put on over 2 kgs of muscle in that month. So weighed in at 58.9kg I think (same time of day and food/water as last month's weigh in) and 18.4% body fat. Next month, I really want to see that body fat come down but I'm not going to expect anything too massive!

On the journal subject- should I start a training one? A diet one? Both? Neither? Haha

Tricep skinfold is quite often related to estrogen levels so can fluctuate with your hormones at different times. Also yea those extra little things can add up quite easily. Especially if you're only just in a calorie deficit.

A month is quite a long time between check ins and to make adjustments ? Say your fat loss stalls a few days after your check in it'll be a wasted month in theory ? Are more regular check ins possible ? May keep you more accountable on those little extras in your diet too potentially as you may have been leaner last week but you'll never know now lol.

In saying all that you're obviously one the right track of some sort putting on 2kg of lean mass while losing millimeters off your skinfolds. Just depends what your main goal is at this stage, whether it's fat loss or muscle building or improving your shape etc.

Journal wise just go with a general one and you can post whatever you want in there be it diet, training, life happenings etc, no rules on journals I'm aware of, I just post whatever I'm thinking in mine lol.

2 minutes ago, BeastBuilder said:

Tricep skinfold is quite often related to estrogen levels so can fluctuate with your hormones at different times. Also yea those extra little things can add up quite easily. Especially if you're only just in a calorie deficit.

A month is quite a long time between check ins and to make adjustments ? Say your fat loss stalls a few days after your check in it'll be a wasted month in theory ? Are more regular check ins possible ? May keep you more accountable on those little extras in your diet too potentially as you may have been leaner last week but you'll never know now lol.

In saying all that you're obviously one the right track of some sort putting on 2kg of lean mass while losing millimeters off your skinfolds. Just depends what your main goal is at this stage, whether it's fat loss or muscle building or improving your shape etc.

Journal wise just go with a general one and you can post whatever you want in there be it diet, training, life happenings etc, no rules on journals I'm aware of, I just post whatever I'm thinking in mine lol.

It is possible to have more regular check ins, just more expensive haha. I've been 100% strict with my diet until this last week which is the worst timing leading in to a check in! I think I'm going to do pictures every 2 weeks and follow ups in person every month (nutritionist is in Auckland so a bit of a drive). I guess my goal is a combo of both which makes it tricky. I thought my main goal was to loose fat but to be honest, it's probably more to build muscle and

improve my shape (shoulders and glutes especially) because the drastic fat loss will occur more once I start actual comp prep/cut. Just been told to keep doing what I'm doing and when we do January follow up, that's when we will lock in the show I'm going to do.

44 minutes ago, Georg said:

It is possible to have more regular check ins, just more expensive haha. I've been 100% strict with my diet until this last week which is the worst timing leading in to a check in! I think I'm going to do pictures every 2 weeks and follow ups in person every month (nutritionist is in Auckland so a bit of a drive). I guess my goal is a combo of both which makes it tricky. I thought my main goal was to loose fat but to be honest, it's probably more to build muscle and

improve my shape (shoulders and glutes especially) because the drastic fat loss will occur more once I start actual comp prep/cut. Just been told to keep doing what I'm doing and when we do January follow up, that's when we will lock in the show I'm going to do.

Fair play, it does sound like you're on the right track anyway.

Tbh in your situation, pictures and in person checks and how you look in the mirror are much more important and relevant than skin folds or bodyweight etc (both which vary greatly with hydration, stress etc) as when you're on stage no one knows what  your body fat is or what you weigh anyway.

You'll get more benefits by increasing your muscle mass at this stage, like you said, as you'll have more fat burning potential and a better shape come prep time anyway.

I'm a plus size, hairy, white powerlifter though so I wouldn't know much about looking good in a bikini haha.

Yeah, I think until you get to the pointy end of competition prep, a monthly consult is plenty. Many don't even do that, and just manage it themselves until it's comp season.

I'd also question whether you need to do fortnightly progress pics. Realistically, unless you're in serious cutting mode, I don't think you'll see much difference between them. Personally, I'd just do them monthly too.

As far as your progress goes, remember caliper testing is notoriously inaccurate. Even with a skilled tester taking the readings, results can vary widely. So just treat them as a guide, and don't be too disappointed if they read higher than you expect - it's quite possibly just the margin of error.

8 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Yeah, I think until you get to the pointy end of competition prep, a monthly consult is plenty. Many don't even do that, and just manage it themselves until it's comp season.

I'd also question whether you need to do fortnightly progress pics. Realistically, unless you're in serious cutting mode, I don't think you'll see much difference between them. Personally, I'd just do them monthly too.

As far as your progress goes, remember caliper testing is notoriously inaccurate. Even with a skilled tester taking the readings, results can vary widely. So just treat them as a guide, and don't be too disappointed if they read higher than you expect - it's quite possibly just the margin of error.

Yeah after saying that about the pictures I immediately thought nah I'm not going to do that haha. I'll stick to monthly or even every 6 weeks for photos. And my consults will be monthly but we might start doing bi monthly online with photos and the next month in person.

Trying not to be hung up on the BF thing, I've had enough people tell me since Saturday that gaining 2kg's of muscle in 4 weeks is a lot and that I should be really stoked. And the more muscle I build, the quicker fat will burn and the better my pre-comp cut will be etc. So I'll just keep trucking along and rely on how I look rather than what everything says on paper.