Ditching being weak

Wookie

Ok a bit hazy here. Last week did not go well training wise due to a very full week but just a few parts from memory.

Sat 13/8

Mas with torn callouses for 30mins- taped up.

Overhead Medley training - and a run through at 60kg dumbell (70 on day), 125 log, 140 axle at 2.5". 

Mon 15/8

Bench to 172, 3x160

Weds 17/8

Hard Mas session - used straps a bit to not wreck hands - 40mins

Sat 20/8

Mas 30mins

Bench to 170

Farmers to 20mx130, 20x100x2

Deadlift to 300 - had planned to go to a fast 280 - 260 I barely felt so did 300. Encouraging.

good show on Saturday bro. i know you were disappointed with the result but it was good coming up here and promoting the sport regardless of the result. me and my younger cousin were completely taken away by what we saw, energy levels were high over there and your performance in that medley with 1 arm db, axle press and log press was crazy! for a lot of the crowd it was also their first time seeing strongman comp and everyone was pretty hyped up about it.

wish i recorded that medly , totally wasn't prepared for it lol, by the time my camera app loaded on phone you had already completed the 3 lifts, too fast mate...

11 hours ago, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

good show on Saturday bro. i know you were disappointed with the result but it was good coming up here and promoting the sport regardless of the result. me and my younger cousin were completely taken away by what we saw, energy levels were high over there and your performance in that medley with 1 arm db, axle press and log press was crazy! for a lot of the crowd it was also their first time seeing strongman comp and everyone was pretty hyped up about it.

wish i recorded that medly , totally wasn't prepared for it lol, by the time my camera app loaded on phone you had already completed the 3 lifts, too fast mate...

Appreciate it bro - only myself to blame. I was more disappointed in the fact that I know my strength is getting back up to the levels it was at, but the technical event stuff is what I'm best at and I let myself down bigtime.

I'm waiting for Chris to release the official recording of my overhead medley - but it is here on the livestream if you fastforward to the last minute of the recording. 

A 72.5kg 12" Monster Dumbell, a 125kg log, and a 140kg axle - in 20.5 seconds. I had a run through in training and did it in 20 seconds as well, so that was good. Could have gone a fraction faster but I didn't want to risk any mistakes. I had hoped to have a crack at a big log or axle after the comp but the deadlift wrecked me for a while so I didn't. 

I'll do a write up later - cheers for your support Amrit! Redemption needed.

48 minutes ago, maccaz said:

awesome bro the speed that 125 log  came up is nuts, almost one movement lol. epic.

Slightly lower risk version - I clean it and then went straight into a push press - so basically a 'Thruster'.
Botch a one motion log and it can turn into a slow strict press out of groove.

• 3 weeks later...

Mon 12/9

Clean and Jerks

to 140, 160, 175, 185 - miss jerk due to freak crush of finger - haha. 175 was so easy.

Cleans 185, 190x, 190

Deads DOH - 190x3 sets

Hook - 3x180, 3x220, 1x260

Sumo dead - 3x220, 3x260 - did not feel comfortable. Need to do some light some deads and get the form back.

I was then struck down with a 2 day migraine. Joy.

15/9

Squats to 2x260, 300, 320

Went into the session hoping for a 9RPE 320x3 - strength is there, just didn't go well. Explained a bit in the instagram blurb.

I've often said, being uncomfortable isn't good reason to miss a set. Reality is here, I couldn't get the right bar position and I'm not going to push it to grind.

So I've grinded precisely 1 squat this year- not ideal. Max in a couple weeks.

3 hours ago, Wookie said:

19/09

BW down to 142 - not good. I just don't like eating all day, haha.

Power cleans-

up to 170kg

Then missed a squat clean at 170 - and stopped. Really tight in the quad and left glute - I didn't have half an hour to loosen myself up. 

What does a typical day of eating look like for

you to maintain that size ? Must be heaps 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, here it is: My first supertotal attempt.

I hit 135kg snatch, 182.5kg clean and jerk, 330kg squat, 182.5kg bench press and 290kg deadlift for an 1120kg total.

Write up:

I'm 90% happy with how it went, and only the deadlift was a real letdown.

As I started realising the complexity of putting together a solid supertotal, I chose to do the lift in my local gym on regular equipment rather than drive 2 hours each way to lift on speciality bars and gear. I don't regret that at all, even though it cost me kilo's on the total.

My planned attempts were:

Snatch: 130/135/140 – I got under 140 snatch 3 times, but simply couldn't get it in the right position to hold it. I've snatched 6-7 times in 6 years, and it showed.

Clean and jerk: 175/182.5/190 – from the start my cleans did not feel good, I ran 160 off the platform. Jerks however felt easy even though they were forward. At this point I realised I should have done the powerlifts first, as my knee felt a little tender and doing a messy 190kg+ clean wasn't going to help me squat.

Squat: 290/325/345: I chose to go 300/330 as I knew 330 would be guaranteed. The video does no justice to how whippy the bar was, when I came out of the hole I felt the bar shake, so I pushed through slowly. I considered jumping to 345, but at this point I thought - “you will have a more ideal opportunity to max the squat. Bank the 330.” My PB is 350, and I have zero doubts I could exceed that even now. While 330 was slow, I still wasn't close to grinding it.

Bench: 175/182.5/187.5-190: I've never been a good bencher. Knowing I'd have to snatch, I've also done no direct shoulder work which really helps my bench. 182.5 was very comfortable, so I went to 187.5. I locked it out on the left side and to my surprise, my right arm just died, despite going way past my sticking point. I tried again and the same thing happened, and my back and glutes started cramping – joy. My theory is the weightlifts caused that lockout issue.

Deadlift: 290/310/317.5-320: This simply sucked. I chose to sumo because I struggled to get a regular bar off the floor, which is my sticking point. 260 had been rocketing up, and I figured absolute worst case I'd be at 305. Nope – 290 was comfortable, but I should have gone straight to 300. I had one deadlift in me, and I used it on 290. To be safe I went to 300 on my 2nd attempt– I'm not kidding, I didn't even pull on it – I had truly hit the wall, my abs were cramping, my back was cramping and I tore a callous on my thumb on the 290. I took 5minutes and tried to pull it conventional – got it to my knees and the cramps came back and I started to black out. Embarrassment. Also – back to conventional now.

What I did right:
-My attempts were pretty well selected. I got myself into a position to do well on 4 of the 5 lifts.

What I'd do differently:

- Doing the weightlifts before the powerlifts cost me at least 20kg on the day, possibly as much as 40. A bigger squat would have been more likely, I know the deadlift would have been 20kg better, and perhaps the bench would have been 5-7.5kg more. I don't think the snatch would have been affected. And if I'd not been too fatigued, I'm confident I'd have clean and jerked the same, and had the freedom to go for a bigger clean.

- I spent way too much time on the weightlifts. General warm up, and 3 extra close attempts at 140kg was a waste of energy and caught up with me at the end.

- I should have taped my thumbs given I used hook grip on 3 lifts.

- I underestimated the stress on the body doing all the lifts in 4 hours. It was comparable to almost any 1 day strongman show I've ever done – I was hypo and cramping despite eating a bit throughout the day. I won't try this again without a supplement like BSC Fuel.

All in all I'm really glad I tried this. I made some mistakes, but it gave my a clear idea of how to do better. The supertotal is a great test of all round barbell strength. I'm motivated to attempt 1200 in early 2017.