Ditching being weak

Wookie

1/02

Leaving on Friday for the NZ Rural Games. It's basically changed from a 4 event half-highland games, half strongman, into a 5 event show with 4 strongman friendly events plus a caber toss. With the NZ Highland games championships now re-scheduled for the following week, I will be cautious about any niggles I may pick up. Not ideal, but should be ok.

Low volume Bench workout:

8X70. 3X110, 3X130, 3X150, 3X140, 3X130x2 - all felt comfortable.

Handful of 56lb wfh throws and mowed the lawn :P

• 1 month later...

Alright time to get this going again.

6 Feb

Did the NZ Rural Games down in Queenstown. 5 events. The tractor pull got scrapped for being too hard.

Won the caber first up.

Farmers walk was 100k each for about 70m round 2 barrels. I was 2 seconds faster than the winner round the 2nd turn and slipped 3 metres from the finish. Some may have seen the vid byt I wrecked myself, winded with muscle spasms down my right erector. Usually I'd laugh but it was like getting kicked. The former Aussie SM winner also fell in that spot.

Was 2nd by some miracle on 25kg weight over bar at 14' narrowly missing 15 by knocking the bar off.

Stones I realised I was in 3rd overall and unable to change my placing. I did a pretty leisurely 27s run with the winners at 19.

13/2 

NZ Highland Games Champs at the Paeroa HG.

With the NZ HG Nationals postponed, the Paeroa Games became the NZ Champs.

My own fault, I just did not do well and failed to win my 3rd NZ Title in a row. The 17 time champ came back out of retirement and wound up beating my by 2.5pts. I needed a couple clutch throws to go my way, and missed them. A 2pt lead simply comes down to 1st and 2nd in one of the 8 events getting switched around. It was a good performance by Pat, but I have every right to be embarassed by my performance. My grandfather died 2 days prior, and my dad was pretty emotional about it, so that probably contributed to me feeling flat, but at the end of the day, when you show up to compete you forfeit the right to make excuses about your preparation.

One positive was that I hit 15' in the 8th event of the day, weight for height, using the Waipu weight which some regard as one of the hardest weights in the world. When I've done 16' in training with a nice weight, I've only done 14' on the day with that weight at the end of the comp. It's at least a foot harder for me. So to hit 15' shows I'm doing some things right.

20/2

Medium Grip bench to 150kg.

22/2

MG Bench to 155 then pyramid down to 120

26/2

Deads to 1x260, 4x240, 5x200

Sumo SLDL 10x130X2

29/2

MG Bench

To 8x130x2 - RPE 9 and 10, haha pathetic. And had to stop there

1/3

MG Bench to 8x130, 8x120, 8x110, 

Narrow Grip Bench 10x100

3/3

MG Paused Bench to 3x110, 3x130, 3x140x2, 3x130, 10x100

The 140's were really easy - 8 RPE or less, so that's a good sign. Guessing max is around 165, which isn't good but for the amount of training is positive. I can usually get from a 140 max to 180 in 5-6 months.

4/3

Zenith Palmerston North 

Squats:

5x70, 3x120, 3x170, 3x220, 1x250, 5x250

Tried a bowtie wrapping technique, but still in my 2m wraps so not ideal. 250x5 was a 7 RPE

Bench- finally comp grip:

8x60, 3x100, 1x130, 1x150, 1x160, 5x130

Close grip: 15x100

Narrow Grip: 20x60

Wide Grip Seated Row: 3x20

Pushdowns: 3x20

Squat vid: Very bouncy with bumpers and crossfit bar.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BChOxOFQhTJ/?taken-by=jonomacfarlane

Solid sets bro!

Time to get some decent 2.5m wraps? 

I cant recommend the red Lillibridge wraps enough for the heavy sets, prob want something with a bit more give for training wraps though.  

My Metal silvers went soft real quick, the wrist wraps did too.  Wouldn't really recommend them. 

The Loaded lifting Ricochet seem to be really popular over in Aus, I'll prob give them a jam after proraw 

5 hours ago, soundsgood said:

Solid sets bro!

Time to get some decent 2.5m wraps? 

I cant recommend the red Lillibridge wraps enough for the heavy sets, prob want something with a bit more give for training wraps though.  

My Metal silvers went soft real quick, the wrist wraps did too.  Wouldn't really recommend them. 

The Loaded lifting Ricochet seem to be really popular over in Aus, I'll prob give them a jam after proraw 

used the loaded lifting ones today for a single at 190 (light as il go with wraps).  id say they are springy rather than cast like, very different to how i remember my titan gold signatures when they were new.

probably suit my squat type with fast descent, im gonna get some, cant really afford to buy every pair that are out there so just going to have to wing it and hope they go good.

getting back to topic though, 250x5 is good!

12/3

Squats

8*70*2

3*120*2

1*200

1*250 -2m wraps

1*280

5*250

8*200- 2.5m wrap test

Realised my 2m wraps were blowing out badly. Had a go at the lillibridge wraps...wow makes my strangulators feel like sleeves.

300+ definitely there already in the 2m wraps. Could have done it today.