Should Russia be banned from the Olympics?

Pseudonym

In between updating the forum software this week, I've been keeping half an eye on the investigations into Russia's doping situation. Basically, the use of PEDs in sport is so rife in that country (and seemingly supported from the highest levels of authority) that many are calling Russia to be dropped from the Olympics altogether.

Athletics: Commission advises IAAF to ban Russia athletics over drug accusations

What do you reckon? A regrettable necessity, or a step too far? What would be the implications for the different sports if the Russians weren't there?

I have been paying close  attention to this topic that had been in the news this week. I would say  yes to banning  Russia from the Olympics to make things a bit more even and fair to other countries and athletes who are represented there country . Wonder if  Russia will  be banned from the winter Olympics as well given most of there athletes are taking performance enaching drugs which dose give the Olympics a good look or image.

I think it's a bunch of horse shit designed specifically to change our focus from the corruption within the Olympic committee and WADA. America is well known to pre test it's athletes prior to Olympics with those fails being logged as injuries rather than can't compete due to drug test fail. 

The doping within the eastern bloc countries has been raised countless times as well as in China so it's not ground breaking news. State sponsored bullshit if you ask me lol 

Imo nothing more than a bit of hype to shift our focus. 

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

I think it's a bunch of horse shit designed specifically to change our focus from the corruption within the Olympic committee and WADA. America is well known to pre test it's athletes prior to Olympics with those fails being logged as injuries rather than can't compete due to drug test fail. 

The doping within the eastern bloc countries has been raised countless times as well as in China so it's not ground breaking news. State sponsored bullshit if you ask me lol 

Imo nothing more than a bit of hype to shift our focus. 

Exactly. IOC has such a corrupt history. Make Fifa look like angels.

not 100% on topic but i wish there was an untested olympics equivalent. doesnt have to be like openly drug using, just relaxed rules.

if we want to see how far a human body can push itself  it will be necessary and will (should) reduce the need for any drug cheats in the natty olympics

otherwise its a waste of human potential to never know what records can be set without having to potentially restrict performance by being natty or being creative with dosing to beat drug tests which is probably not optimal.

obviously will never happen but i would watch it

Wouldn't happen ever. Be unethical for starters. Would be little funding/sponsorship which basically keep the torch burning, no big brands would get behind that. The records wouldn't mean anything and I don't actually think many of the Olympic athletes would do it, just be a bunch of nobodies. They are all clean and want to compete in the credible competition. For that reason I don't think the times would be that much quicker if quicker at all. These guys and girls are freaks. ped give them like such a tiny %. It isn't like a new lifter who can bench 100 natty then add 60 to bench in 10 weeks.  No man would be doing like 7 second 100m or anything like that. 

Wouldn't even be on television if was to happen, you'd be streaming it on your computer.

1 hour ago, Realtalk said:

[In a juiced-up Olympics] I don't think the times would be that much quicker if quicker at all. These guys and girls are freaks. ped give them like such a tiny %. It isn't like a new lifter who can bench 100 natty then add 60 to bench in 10 weeks.  No man would be doing like 7 second 100m or anything like that. 

Really? I thought historically there were massive advances recorded in sports like lifting and swimming as certain teams discovered the wonders of "vitamins" like stanozolol?

5 hours ago, Wookie said:

No, you don't punish individual athletes for doping when they did not test positive themselves.

It's a fair point, and I agree with you. But the use of PEDs in sport is a very emotive issue for all the athletes - after all, it ultimately boils down to cheating. So with emotions running high, anyone who feels they might have to compete against a cheat is totally going to come out in support of this, and any thoughts of fairness to innocent Russian athletes will go out the window.

The only question is whether they muster enough noise to force the IOC's hand. And, if so, what effect would that have on the games?

Ben Johnson used stanozolol what were his times?

better understanding of training, nutrition. More money being ploughed in. You watch the rugby 7s now that it is an Olympic sport. USA and other power nations will become one of the top teams eventually cause they will plough money into it lots of money.

No, I don't believe usain bolt would run very much faster at all if he wasn't tested. 

1 hour ago, Realtalk said:

Wouldn't happen ever. Be unethical for starters. Would be little funding/sponsorship which basically keep the torch burning, no big brands would get behind that. The records wouldn't mean anything and I don't actually think many of the Olympic athletes would do it, just be a bunch of nobodies. They are all clean and want to compete in the credible competition. For that reason I don't think the times would be that much quicker if quicker at all. These guys and girls are freaks. ped give them like such a tiny %. It isn't like a new lifter who can bench 100 natty then add 60 to bench in 10 weeks.  No man would be doing like 7 second 100m or anything like that. 

Wouldn't even be on television if was to happen, you'd be streaming it on your computer.

I disagree, everyone wants to see athletes bigger stronger faster, everyone loves watching records broken. You may not initially have a big following but I think it would take off. Huge brands like nike, addidas etc may not get behind it, but it would open the market to smaller players to come in and make a name for themselves as its a massive marketing ploy. You only need to look at the likes of Hells pizza who thrive on "negative" publicity to see it would work marketing wise with the right strategy.

Short events like the 100m & 200m sprint or 50m swim events wouldn't be effected much, but anything needing a bit of stamina has the potential to be destroyed. Distance Swimming, decathlon, cycling, marathons - any long distance running, shooting while it may sound stupid using drugs to decrease your heart rate, others to increase reaction times and alertness can have a huge increase in your ability. Any field strength evens would be demolished.

People enjoy a spectacle and having freaks out there is what would pull the crowds, I know I'd watch it and most of my mates and family would as well. 

co-incidence that IOC start making noises like this - which wold benefit the US - who are not happy with Putin for supporting the Syrian leadership - because the US wanted to build an oil pipeline around Syria which would have impacted on Russian interests.  

May be a conspiracy theory - politics in the real world filtering through international bodies like the IOC etc. 

I hope they do ban Russia and then they go off and start their own federation lol

6 hours ago, Optimass said:

co-incidence that IOC start making noises like this - which wold benefit the US - who are not happy with Putin for supporting the Syrian leadership - because the US wanted to build an oil pipeline around Syria which would have impacted on Russian interests.  

May be a conspiracy theory - politics in the real world filtering through international bodies like the IOC etc. 

I hope they do ban Russia and then they go off and start their own federation lol

This is us getting old and jaded... either everything is a conspiracy theory and we're mad... or we just have some clarity :)

19 hours ago, pyro said:

People enjoy a spectacle and having freaks out there is what would pull the crowds, I know I'd watch it and most of my mates and family would as well. 

Yeah gotta agree I'd watch for sure, I remember Marc Ellis made a crack about this a few years ago.

If they got banned as an entire country, I'd feel for the athletes who were clean. If it was individual bans, I'm sure theres athletes that are being given 'vitamins' unknowingly and may fail tests anyway. While only following the main points of the story, I reckon it'd be pretty ballsy of the IOC to ban and entire nation from a large section of events, most of which the olympics is their peak event.

Disagree... People watch the Olympic Games because it's the Olympic Games. It's prestigious. They don't watch it for the freak factor. How many people watch track and field world championships and other world champ events. The performances at these are probably better overall because they are annual. Not every athlete has the opportunity to sucessfullt peak for an Olympic Games. They happen every four years. Someone's peak might be in that 2 years before a games at a world champs. You all use steroids! so of course you want to see it, you make up less than 0.10% of the worlds population who don't care for steroids and what to watch users setting meaningless records.

another Olympic Games, no thanks. Will turn into powerlifting which is probably the worst model out for a sport.

Yeah but they need to do something different. Everyone's pointing fingers at the Russians, u know what they say people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Point is the tests can be bodged and therefore shitloads of athletes are on. How do we know kiwi athletes are clean. We don't. Just sponsor the new Olympics with the top labs brah

Thought that was the right move by suspending Russia from the Olympics by the iaaf after I heard about that on radio sport while I was listening to capital punishment on radio sport. Hopefully other sports can learn from this such as baseball and cycling for example 

4 hours ago, Gym rat said:

Thought that was the right move by suspending Russia from the Olympics by the iaaf after I heard about that on radio sport while I was listening to capital punishment on radio sport. Hopefully other sports can learn from this such as baseball and cycling for example 

So you think banning whole countries and punishing hard working clean athletes who have put their heart and soul into training over an entire lifetime is appropriate?

I would be severely pissed if I was competing at the Olympics and was denied entry over something another person had done well beyond my own control.

This isn't the way to go about it at all. If they want to come down hard on athletes start bringing in life time bans, you get one chance with 12month-36 months suspension, next time you are banned for life.

This is the exact same issue that cycling has had for years, they are too lenient on dopers so people take the risk knowing they can come back without a problem. Armstrong was banned for doping, problem was one of the years he was done, you had to go back to about 13th to find someone that wasn't.  He got thrown to the dogs, while all the other guys testified against him but were drug cheats as well, now they are back racing while he has a lifetime ban.

2 hours ago, pyro said:

So you think banning whole countries and punishing hard working clean athletes who have put their heart and soul into training over an entire lifetime is appropriate?

I would be severely pissed if I was competing at the Olympics and was denied entry over something another person had done well beyond my own control.

This isn't the way to go about it at all. If they want to come down hard on athletes start bringing in life time bans, you get one chance with 12month-36 months suspension, next time you are banned for life.

This is the exact same issue that cycling has had for years, they are too lenient on dopers so people take the risk knowing they can come back without a problem. Armstrong was banned for doping, problem was one of the years he was done, you had to go back to about 13th to find someone that wasn't.  He got thrown to the dogs, while all the other guys testified against him but were drug cheats as well, now they are back racing while he has a lifetime ban.

Yes I think that move is appropriate by suspending Russia from the Olympics and world champs events as well.

Eastern bloc countries actually held their own Olympic Games back when they boycotted the 84' Olympic Games in the USA. They were called the friendship games. And over 60 friendship games results would have meddaled at those 1984 Olympic games. Eastern bloc athletes outperformed Olympic winners in 20 of 41 track-and-field events and eleven of 29 swimming events. In one moving shooting event the Olympic gold medallist would have placed 6th at the friendship games in that event. weightlifting and wrestling at the Friendship Games had almost all of the top athletes of the time as well.

how much of the world knows that or watched that? Sweet FA lol see my point.