PRORAW 8 - Soundsgood prep

soundsgood

2 hours ago, BeastBuilder said:

Those poor shocks are still recovering from my fat ass last time.

Gawd dam Maccaz, the new age Uber lol

32 minutes ago, bang_bang said:

Sweet shot bro, no biggie if you can't.

yeah nah sweet i got the friday off so im keen.

jackson, i think you and i will be about 15-20kg heavier that last time. swap out small girlfriends for hamish and elliot and we can get sack it out good as

19 minutes ago, soundsgood said:

When are you going over bro?

On the Monday bro, I'm going to annoy Maccaz for a week prior lol.

I'm going to set booby traps in the back of his car and at all the good food places that will kneecap you, ruin your forearms and make you stub your toe so I have the upper hand.. you have been warned.

9 minutes ago, maccaz said:

yeah nah sweet i got the friday off so im keen.

jackson, i think you and i will be about 15-20kg heavier that last time. swap out small girlfriends for hamish and elliot and we can get sack it out good as

Lol f*ck dat wheel guard is guna take a hammering. Claim earthquake damage.. That's what I would do here in Chch anyway, surely it'll work same in Melbourne

Just now, BeastBuilder said:

On the Monday bro, I'm going to annoy Maccaz for a week prior lol.

I'm going to set booby traps in the back of his car and at all the good food places that will kneecap you, ruin your forearms and make you stub your toe so I have the upper hand.. you have been warned.

f*ck lol

Monday 22 Feb 

Deadlifts up to 280kg singles then 260kg for 5s 

Okie bar with bumpers right the way to the end was a shocking idea.  The bar was ridiculously shaky all the way thru the reps so nothing to heavy was worth the risk of injury 

Did some barbell rows with 160kg then Muscle up Snatch doubles with 110kg to finish 

Tues 23 Feb

Heavy Bench day

Warmups 

60kg x 10

100kg x 10

140kg x 5

180kg x 3

Working sets 

200kg x 3

215kg x 1 (just short of lockout spotter took weight)

210kg x 1

Plan was to work up to 2 sets of 215kg x 2

Wasnt feeling it last night.  Even when I dropped the weight back to 210, a single felt really hard.  

Bit fustrating but I know it's just a one off thing, not going to let affect my prep

Finished off with 2 sets 180kg x 6 paused 

Incline bench 

4 sets 140kg x 6-8

Incline DB Flies

4 sets 32kg each hand x 12

Floor press 

2 sets 160kg x 5

Feb 25th

Heavy Squats 

Trained at Courts house.  

Advantages

- 25kg 32mm Okie squat bar 

- Calibrated plates 

- Monolift 

- Best knee wrapper I know 

- Loud music of my choice so no headphones required

Disadvantages

- 3 hour 15 min drive at peak hour lol 

15 min mobility and stretching 

Warmup sets in sleeves

80kg x 10

130kg x 5

Add belt

180kg x 2 

230kg x 2

Add Metal Silver knee wraps 

280kg x 2

Add Brand new Lillibridge red wraps 

310kg x 1

320kg x 1 

Went to do second rep but Court thought I was racking it.  She put gate in and it bumped into the bar which made me go for a walkabout lol

Top Set (add Ammonia) 

330kg x 3 (triple PB) 

What a kickass set.  Chopped third rep couple of inches but still the best triple I've ever done.  What a difference the Lillibridge wraps make over my old Metal Silvers.  After about 15 sessions my Metals are fucked.  Way too loose compared to the LBs.  I might have to get another brand new set of Lillibridges just for comp day.

Analysed the video, Court has better angle on her video camera, and saw where we could make some improvements with regards to foot position on unlock and movement sequencing to maximise push thru glutes and hams. 

Went in in for one more set at 280kg x 6.  Felt real strong and had a few more reps in the tank if I had have wanted them.

End of session there.  A real good confidence booster.  I was really stoked.  Feeling good now ?

3 hours ago, Realtalk said:

Strong as! Gonna be hard to beat in July I think.

Its a long way to July,  theres a few contenders for the overall - You, Jamie and Dale are the obvious ones.  Cant count Dan H or Darren Farrow out either if they decide to enter.   The good thing is the qualification process means we will get to see everyone at least once because they have to do a regional to qualify (unless dispensation for injury which we will also know before the Last regional).  But you have to watch out for the sneaky lifters like Maccaz who will qualify at the GPC Australian comps.

33 minutes ago, maccaz said:

thats crazy.

btw, how does one get a mono in their house? can you just buy them or need custom made?

what did you think of the lilliebridge wraps?

You can't just walk into Rebel sport and walk out with a monolift.  But there are a few engineers/metal fabricators who understand and compete in powerlifting who can make you a mono if you supply the design.  You can customise it to a degree (make arms lower for shorter people etc) 

Courts one was made by a couple of local powerlifters, its the one we use in GPC comps in Auckland and Waikato and its a fantastic piece of kit.

It is my hope more and more commercial gyms get a monolift in their gym so more people are prepared for our comps.  It is different to walking out, the initial setup is extremely important.  You have to really get under the bar and unlock with your glutes and bring your hips forward or you are gonna be out of alignment and your squat will suffer.

The Lillibridge wraps were OMFG good.  Obviously you need a good wrapper but they make such a difference over my old Metal Silvers.  I need to sort someone experienced to wrap my legs at proraw, if I want 800lb+ it will have to be perfect.  I would fly Court over to do it if I had the money lol.  Maybe start a give a little page? lmao

4 minutes ago, soundsgood said:

You can't just walk into Rebel sport and walk out with a monolift.  But there are a few engineers/metal fabricators who understand and compete in powerlifting who can make you a mono if you supply the design.  You can customise it to a degree (make arms lower for shorter people etc) 

Courts one was made by a couple of local powerlifters, its the one we use in GPC comps in Auckland and Waikato and its a fantastic piece of kit.

It is my hope more and more commercial gyms get a monolift in their gym so more people are prepared for our comps.  It is different to walking out, the initial setup is extremely important.  You have to really get under the bar and unlock with your glutes and bring your hips forward or you are gonna be out of alignment and your squat will suffer.

The Lillibridge wraps were OMFG good.  Obviously you need a good wrapper but they make such a difference over my old Metal Silvers.  I need to sort someone experienced to wrap my legs at proraw, if I want 800lb+ it will have to be perfect.  I would fly Court over to do it if I had the money lol.  Maybe start a give a little page? lmao

ok sweet bro. yeah reason i asked on the gpc page about walkouts is because iv never used a mono so know i need to practice it because its gonna be different to walking out.

i guess luckier here in melbourne where theres a powerlifting gym every 10km (lol almost) so if i narrow it down to gyms with monos its still not gonna be very hard to go practice on one.

my gym being apl affiliated doesnt have a need for a mono, so they dont have one, but as more of the guys move to gpc (cos no competition in apl) hopefully that changes and we get a monolift.

Sat 27 Feb 

Overhead press day

Warmed up with mobility focusing on front, mid delts and forearms

Mid weight front and side raises 

Seated overhead press

Warmup sets 

60kg x 5

100kg x 5

100kg x 5

120kg x 3

Working sets

140kg x 1

150kg x 1

120kg x 8

120kg x 8

A little bit of accessory work to follow.   Forearms were on fire so couldn't really handle much load after that.

Tuesday March 1st 

Heavy Bench day 

Warm up sets 

60kg x 10 

100kg x 10

140kg x 5 

180kg x 3 

Working Sets 

200kg x3

210kg x 2 

220kg x 0 (missed at lockout) 

Forearm pain was really high today so my descents were a lot slower than would have liked.  This robbed me of pressing power and I missed the planned 220 ?.  Back was cramping like a mother fker too, struggled to get in position.  That will be because of the stupid 15 rep deadlift set last night.  I know I should be smoking it easy, I just need to work on my descent confidence and be a bit fresher.  

Next week I will try some sets of assisted negatives.  Just focus on bringing the bar down at a good speed into a good pressing position. 

Chucked on Slingshot 

200kg x 11

200kg x 9 

Hammer Strength press 

6 sets at 3pps around 20-30 reps per set hitting different angles and getting mean pump 

Bodyweight today - 123.6kg 

Rest day tomorrow then Squats in the mono on Thursday where I will be working up to my second attempt somewhere around 350-360.  I'm already feeling excited ?

13 minutes ago, BeastBuilder said:

Well well well... Looks like we Bench the same, you can't Bench 220, I can't Bench 220, pretty much the same lol.

Lol touché.  Although I have benched 220kg+ 4 times in comp already I just put down to a bad night ?

I also haven't pulled 350kg just like you so I guess we are even there too ?

Thursday 3rd Feb

Heavy Squats up to planned second attempt for Proraw

Squatted at courts in the mono with 32mm okie squat bar, calibrated plates.  

Court showed me all her new stock she has for Aotearoa Strong (her new online powerlifting accessory store).   www.aotearoastrong.co.nz

Bought a new set of Gangsta wrist wraps to replace my metals which have become way too soft.  

Bought a new pair of Loaded Lifting knee sleeves in large.  These are way longer than the Kiwistrength knee sleeves I have been using.  Have way more support and are much tighter.  I would struggle to put these on and off by myself tbh.  They will probably loosen up a bit over time I'm sure. 

Bought new 10mm Loaded Lifting Lever Belt in large. At the moment I am have 3 more holes to play with on the belt which is plenty.  It is pretty much ideal size at the moment because there isn't much overhang of the belt.  There will be when I lean up a bit but I'll worry about that on another day lol.  This belt will replace my outback replica twin prong belt.  I like my old belt but after reading about the technology involved in these belts it's worth a shot to play with.  It will need to be broken in so I didn't use it this session. 

Warmed up with roller, bands and stretches

Warmup sets (Sleeves) 

75kg x 5

125kg x 5

Add belt

180kg x 2

230kg x 2

Add Lillibridge red Knee Wraps

300kg x 1

325kg x 1

350kg x 2

Pretty happy to smoke a training PB, and double it too.  The first rep moved faster than the 300 and 325 moved.  Second one the bar became a bit shaky on the way down so had to steady the ship before dropping into hole and shooting back up.  

I considered bumping up to 365 and attempting a single because I know it was there but 2 weeks out from the big show the decision was made to save it.

Jumped on home scales after the session - weighed in at 274lb.  That's just over 124kg.  Went to bathroom, took off some clothes and then jumped on calibrated scales and weighed in at 122.4kg which is more like it.  The last thing I want to be doing is worrying about making weight in a 2 hour weigh in Comp.. Depending on how I travel I should be comfortably within the 125s by at least a couple of kilos.

1 hour ago, bang_bang said:

Jacksons telling everyone he's not posting vid cos they were higher than snoop dogg lol

Lol fuarkk dis guuyyy..

He's trying to fan the flame, wants to see the battle of the gorillas post comp.

It's okay, spose you've gotta make life interesting somehow when you still lifting baby weights.

I'd hate to have to judge your Squat SG, too much Quad Sweep.

56 minutes ago, soundsgood said:

My iPad camera stopped recording as I approached the bar when it ran outta memory so I do not have footage.

Jackson can feel free to critique from any angle he likes at proraw ?  That's the only lifts that really matter

I'm just stirring he didn't say that.

Do you reckon you could squeeze an extra 10 out of your squat? I reckon you'd be better off doing that if you could rather than relying on a pb deadlift at the end of comp to hit 9 hunnit

I got no doubts about a 350, 360 or 365 squat from Hamish. The strength is there no doubts. Will rather be about depth and whether the judging is fair (good) or shonky. Hamish's squats are always boarderline depth. Not saying they are high but they are hard to call at times. Not that I have ever judged them or called them but I have seen enough of them to be qualified to say that. I expect at pro raw the judging will be good, however it hasn't always been perfect. The judging at some Gpc NZ comps in the past has been dubious and as we all get more competitive I pray it is good for regional and national events. Some of the individuals that have judged nationals in the past just aren't up to judging it imo.