PRORAW 8 - Soundsgood prep

soundsgood

REPORT FROM GPC MT MAUNGANUI BENCH COMP - JAN 30 2016

I entered into the equipped category at the last minute and entered a 260kg opener.

I sent my brother off to grab me some talcum powder to help slide into the bench shirt and while I waited I warmed up up comfortably up to 2 x 190kg.  He was having trouble locating some talcum powder and hadn't returned when I was around 20 minutes out from start of the mens flight so I just said f*ck it and attempted to chuck the shirt on anyway.  

Learnt a big lesson about putting size on and fitting into equipment.  I have probably grown about 3kg since I last put it on and unfortunately this meant I wasnt getting the shirt on without even more effort than usual, especially with no talc.  As much as I tried I was unable to get my arms in the shirt properly.  

I had time for one practise bench so I loaded up 240kg and brought it down to 1 board then fired it back up.  It was an easy press but I knew getting the bar down was going to be very hard without the arms in properly.

I was last in the flight, 260 was loaded up for me.  I got my shirt jacked down and belt tightened up.  Got a good handoff, brought the bar down and found with the arms not in the shirt the path was not as low as usual.  I was only half an inch off my chest, the crowd was dead silent and a spectator yelled press.  I assumed it was the ref so I pressed it out.  It flew up to about 2/3 of the way up but the angle was way off and the bar started drifting towards my face.  I felt it was going to come down on top of me so I yelled take it.  The spotters tried to grab the bar but In the few split seconds before they reacted I felt my forearms tendons start to strain as I tried supporting the weight on a funny angle.  

The spotters took the weight off me (great job from them, I can't thank them enough) and I jumped up.  Arms were throbbing and after I took off my wrist wraps I knew that I Had restrained them AGAIN.  Grrrrr.  That was the end of that, wasnt even going to reattempt another bench.  No point pushing it at a novice comp when the big one is around the corner.  

Had a wee cry around the corner while I waited for the 9/10 pain to subside and the Ibuprofen and deep heat to take the inflammation down then rejoined to watch the rest of the comp.

Forearms have been giving me grief last few days but I know they should heal up in a week or so, its about the 10th time Ive done this.

On a positive note the comp went really well and there were some really good lifts.  The mens raw class was really tight - only 1 gloss point separated first and second.  Well done to Nigel Cordes winning with 195kg @ 108kg bodyweight over Gareth Austin 200kg @ 124.9kg bodyweight.

Lisa Jurasavich benching 70kg at 50kg bodyweight to take out the Womens class was also pretty damn impressive!

Forearm injury kept me from training at all last week.  Then I picked up a virus and tummy bug late in the week which extended the break.

Ended up getting to the gym for first time again last night for some Deadlifts 

6 sets of 2 x 210kg explosive Deads 

1 set of 12 x 210kg burnout set on Deads 

Done 

Not good to have such a big break in my prep when it was going so well.  Still feel real nauseous and heady but will get back in and train bench tonight, it's do or die time 

Bench last night 

Kept effort to 90% 

Warmup 

60kg x 10

100kg x 10

140kg x 10 

Working sets

180kg x 8

200kg x 3 

200kg x 3 

210kg x 1 

Comfortable sets, thought I'd triple 210 instead of 200 last set but after first rep I thought I only had one more and I was trying to stop a rep or 2 before failure so racked it 

Incline bench 

5 sets of 140kg x 8

Week 5 Rep Squats 

Warmed up with 15 min mobility stuff , then some stretches and light lunges 

Got stuck into squats.  Today's session looked pretty easy of paper and it turned out to be pretty easy too.  Next week is a heavy one so it's quite nice to have a cruisey one haha 

Warmup sets

60kg x 10

100kg x 10

Added Belt

140kg x 5

180kg x 5

220kg x 5

Added Knee wraps and wrist wraps 

272.5kg x 4 (600lb)

272.5kg x 4 

272.5kg x 4

272.5kg x 5 (1 more rep because why not) 

Couldn't be bothered taking shoes off and putting on sleeves so just did soft wraps 

2 sets of 3 x 240kg pause at parallel for 3 seconds paused squats 

Light adductor work followed by some HIIT sprints 

Done. 

Eating has has been average, not getting the volume I need.  If I don't keep eating the amount I need I just waste away back down to the number my body wants to live at (around 118kg is its natural habitat lol) 

Today I weighed in at 121kg ?, I need to really smash my eating the last 5 weeks to come into proraw as full as possible, my squat and bench always better the heavier I am.  

Been keeping an an eye on my competitors training which has been motivating.  Jacksons squats look like they catching up to me so will have to really dig in to keep that lead because he will have me in Deads.  Also I can't let him beat me or I'll never hear the end of it from Tom ?

Mon 15th Feb

Week 6 - Heavy Deads 

15 min mobility to start, really loosened up adductors, calves and ankle which were pretty tender after spending an hour at the trampoline park yesterday.  Body not what it used to be lol 

Conventional Deadlifts 

5 x 70kg 

5 x 120kg 

5 x 160kg 

Added Belt 

3 x 200kg 

3 x 240kg 

Working singles 

1 x 260kg 

1 x 280kg 

1 x 290kg 

That's close to what my opener will be at proraw and as high as I wanted to go today.  

After reviewing video I have received some constructive criticism to help bring my deadlift up.  I'm still very back dominant so I will focus on bringing my hips lower before I engage the lift to activate more leg drive.  I was doing this a few sessions ago with great results but it went out the window tonight.  

Did a touch and go set with 240kg and managed 12 reps with a couple left in the tank 

Finished with Barbell rows @ 160kg and Snatch grip Deads at the same weight 

Bodyweight was 121.5kg tonight 

Yeah man, I can obviously get more than reset reps (which are a seperate part of my programme but not called for tonight) so it's partly an ego thing haha 

But You can see I don't really use my legs too much it's more of a back movement and I get wicked back pumps and growth from it.  Backs still pumped now a couple of hours later so got to be doing something 

Tuesday 16 Feb - Rep Benchpress 

Had to train just after lunch today, not my favourite time, not enough meals and gym empty but no other choice. 

Really tight upper back after last nights Deads so had to stretch that out and roll it a bit it start.  Forearms still a pain so worked on them too 

Warmups added loose elbow sleeves

60kg x 10 

100kg x 10

140kg x 10 (f*ck me that felt heavy ?) 

Working sets - added wrist wraps and belt 

180kg x 8

180kg x 8 

180kg x 8 - had to grind for lockout on last which I was trying to avoid but oh well 

Light Incline DB press - slow and squeezed

4 sets of 20 with 30-45kg 

Incline DB flies - wide and paused at bottom

4 sets of 12 with 24kg 

Biceps 

Did some alternating db curls and standing barbell curls.  Forearm and bicep pump to painful to do much really 

On 2/16/2016 at 10:53 PM, soundsgood said:

60kg x 10 

100kg x 10

140kg x 10 (f*ck me that felt heavy ?) 

Working sets - added wrist wraps and belt 

180kg x 8

180kg x 8 

180kg x 8 - had to grind for lockout on last which I was trying to avoid but oh well 

Lol your bench sets/reps were pretty much my deadlift workout last night

Squats tonight 

Adductors feeling tight and knees today.  Adductors from the Deads the other night I would say and knees are always shit but probably worse cos I got a manual Hilux couple of weekends ago.  First manual in a couple of years and the clutch is pretty brutal, especially with the 1500km I've already done including 400km today lol.  So knees been taken a hammering.  Yes I know... What a pussy

Anyway spent 20 mins on mobility and stretching trying to get them feeling as fresh as possible as I had some heavy squats to hit.  

Warmups in sleeves

60kg x 10

100kg x 10

add Belt

180kg x 5

220kg x 5

Add Knee wraps

260kg x 3 

Working sets 

300kg x 3

300kg x 3

310kg x 3 * TRIPLE PB

PAUSED SQUATS

2 sets 260kg x 3 (PB weight and also a triple) 

Stretches and warm down 

Yeah... What up Jackson ?

Was supposed to be 300 x 3 x 3 but felt like I could hit a little bit more on last set so added 10kg 

Pretty happy with that session.  

Video of my lifts are on my Quadzilla Facebook page if anyone's interested.  Will upload to YouTube and repost here after the weekend so I have everything together in one place 

9 hours ago, maccaz said:

wew this competition between you and jackson gonna be mean, his bench is on the mend and deadlift is on fire atm, but f*ck that squat is crazy.

you got your flights yet?

Said he was booking tonight lol.

Wayne Howlett pulling out apparently, Russian big hitter not confirmed, SG potentially forgetting that he needs a plane to get to Australia may be leaving this 125s class wide open for me..

2 hours ago, BeastBuilder said:

Said he was booking tonight lol.

Wayne Howlett pulling out apparently, Russian big hitter not confirmed, SG potentially forgetting that he needs a plane to get to Australia may be leaving this 125s class wide open for me..

inb4 @soundsgood legs too sore from driving badass truck too sore to walk up steps to get on plane 

9 hours ago, maccaz said:

Lol i can pick you up. Will attempt to put 480kg odd of humans in my corolla if i havent got truck yet by then. Inb4 shock failure at 100 on freeway and wipe out all of nzs proraw competitors in one go 

Those poor shocks are still recovering from my fat ass last time.

Gawd dam Maccaz, the new age Uber lol