PRORAW 8 - Soundsgood prep

soundsgood

Been invited to Proraw 8 at the Arnold Classic in March 2016.  I have accepted the invitation and am now more motivated than ever to put up a good total. 

So Far in my class confirmed is Wayne Howlett who just went 950, a Canadian guy called Jim Paquet who looks capable of that too.  A few top Aussies around the 850-900 mark will be in there too no doubt.  There is talk of Zahir competing too so this will be a truly world class event.  I can't wait! 

From NZ Geordie has accepted his invite too.  Other invites have been offered to Tom Mac, Darren Farrow, Dan Holiday and possibly Dhiren?  There's one other guy who I can't name yet that would do really well if he decided to turn up too. 

49 minutes ago, soundsgood said:

Been invited to Proraw 8 at the Arnold Classic in March 2016.  I have accepted the invitation and am now more motivated than ever to put up a good total.  2000lb (907.5kg) minimum! 

So Far in my class confirmed is Wayne Howlett who just went 950, a Canadian guy called Jim Paquet who looks capable of that too.  A few top Aussies around the 850-900 mark will be in there too no doubt.  There is talk of Zahir competing too so this will be a truly world class event.  I can't wait! 

From NZ Geordie has accepted his invite too.  Other invites have been offered to Tom Mac, Darren Farrow, Dan Holiday and possibly Dhiren?  There's one other guy who I can't name yet that would do really well if he decided to turn up too. 

so in on this.

i hear zahir is quite likely if not 100%

tough class you got, wayne howlett is intense

this is gonna be more epic than pr7 with the arnold crowd aswell!

DEADLIFTS WEEK 3 - Mon 23 Nov 2015 

Stretches and Foam Roller 

DEADLIFTS

70kg x 5 

120kg x 5

160kg x 5

200kg x 5

240kg x 5

260kg x 3

285kg x 2

260kg x 5

260kg x 3 

285kg x 2 video here

http://youtu.be/n6-gqDTPwBc

BARBELL ROWS

3 sets of 160kg x 12 

SEATED CABLE ROWS 

3 sets of 15-20 close grip with 3/4 stack 

Happy with Deads, wasn't quite in the zone and was trying a few new things like close feet, pushing knees out to the sides to engage hams and glutes more.  Felt like they were slow but kept moving so thats a win.  Prob about an RPE8 which is as high as wanted to go tonight.  The 260 back off sets were the same.  Leaving a bit in the tank. 

17 hours ago, soundsgood said:

Awesome bro, I didn't get an invite (Don't think I'm on that level for PR8 right now, these manlets are crazy going to be multiple 700kg+ totals)... But I'm contemplating going over to watch. Will be some EPIC battles. I'm sure you'll kill it based on some of the numbers you've been hitting recently

14 minutes ago, soundsgood said:

I'm not 100% man, it was over 3 days this year with the 125s and over 125s on the last day so I'm guessing I'll be lifting on the last day of the Arnold's.  

More than likely will be on the same time as the Pro bodybuilders 

Was asking cause not interested in seeing the bodybuilding, and going all three days. 

Surely a schedule will come out closer to the time. Bound to be some big names lifting. 

1 hour ago, jimmybro1 said:

Was asking cause not interested in seeing the bodybuilding, and going all three days. 

Surely a schedule will come out closer to the time. Bound to be some big names lifting. 

follow proraw powerlifting on facebook, usually he posts shit in there as announcement.

quite a few of the lifters from pr7 have been invited back from what i can see

• 1 month later...

Prep has been going exceptionally well so far.  First time Ive followed a set programme to the letter and Im enjoying it.  Even though sometimes I get the urge to just walk into the gym and throw some heavy AF weights around, I am looking at the big picture and only doing what I have set out to do.

I am halfway into Week 3 of my 11 week prep programme.  It is based on Brandon Lilleys Cube Method.  

Basically you take each compound exercise and split it into 3 different workouts.  A heavy workout, High rep workout and explosive workout.  You do one of each kind each week.  So for example week 1 you might do Heavy squat, High rep Deads, Explosive Bench press, then the next week it changes to Heavy Deads, High rep Bench, Explosive squats etc

Each workout has 3-4 accessory exercises attached to it that are performed in the same fashion.  All exercises chosen are 100% applicable to moving more weight in the compound movement.  So leg press is out, DB flies you can f*ck off etc.  Squat day is Conventional squats, Oly squats or front squats, Paused squats etc.  All movements that will translate to a bigger squat.

You also do an OHP day which is pretty much whatever I feel like doing, and incorporate Biceps, Triceps, Calves plus whatever I feel like throwing in

The volume Im doing is a lot higher than I normally would do, and the rest is shorter otherwise I would be in the gym all night.  I incorporate 15 mins mobility at the start of each session and occasionally again afterwards.  20-30 mins twice a week conditioning of some kind - sprints, prowler, tyres etc.  No LISS treadmill or cross trainer around here.  I will try ramp this up to 4 times a week abut 5 weeks out.

As far as weights used the numbers are a bit lower than I move normally but overall volume moved per workout is higher so this is supposed to equate to a bigger lift on comp day.  I pretty much only lift close to a conservative opening attempt (around 90% of my current comp 1RM, remembering I want to put another 5-6% on my best lifts at Proraw) once on each lift the whole prep.  Im throwing all my trust into this method, its worked well for lots of other top lifters.  Its not too dissimilar from the Wookie method Im led to believe.

So instead of going in and warming up bench to 180kg x 5 then going and doing 220 x 2 then 200 x 5 then 160 x 12 or something like that then move into some incline barbell and db flies every set to failure which I have been notorious for in the past my bench workout would be 5 sets of 200 x 2 then 3 sets of close grip bench 180 x 3 then 3 sets of spotto press (pausing 1" off chest) 160 x 5 followed by floor press and dips and abs.  Thats a lot of working sets for me so its important not to max out too early in the session.

The other thing Im doing to not lifting up to failure at all.  Always leaving a rep in the tank.  Never leaving myself open to missing a lift.   If I can go thru an entire prep without missing a lift I should be supremely confident.  Thats the theory anyway.

Here is a highlight video from the last week

I like the sound of this bro.

Gotta try something you've never done before if you want to get a result you've never gotten before (or something inspirational like that lol)

I do like the ideas behind the Cube Method though, should work out well for you.

I read elsewhere you want to creep your body weight up to 130kg odd ? Is this for ProRaw ? Are you planning on doing some kind of cut to make weight ?

Given my previous experiences I would highly recommend against that with a two hour weigh in lol.

The goal is 130kg clothes, shoes, holding phone, keys in pocket, just skulled a litre of water, creatine loaded etc etc hahahah 

So weigh in weight of 124.9kg lol.  If I'm forced to do the u125s I want to maximise the class.  No wilks calculations at Proraw!

Yeah I looked at quite a few programmes including Lillibridges and Dan Greens but thought they were too similar to what Ive been doing in the past.  I like Juggernaught.  I actually approached CWS to see if he could coach me but he couldn't fit me in so I read Brandon lileys Cube method and 365 Strong and it really clicked in my head.  Gonna give it a decent crack anyway and see how we go!  

Wed 20 Jan - Week 3

Bench explosive day 
10 sets of 3 x 150kg paused explosive press (60 - 90 sec rest between sets)
Closegrip Bench - 3 sets of 160kg x 5 
Spotto Press (paused 1" off chest) 3 sets 10 x 130kg

DB flies and Machine press 21s to finish
Pretty boring and light AF but I get to work on exploding the bar off chest and the volume adds up

Hard to resist the urge to go heavier.  GPC Mount bench only comp is next weekend.  I've registered as equipped but I haven't touched my bench shirt since the push pull 7 weeks ago ? 

Im feeling strong and reckon I could prob go 210/220/230 raw right now but don't really want to disrupt my prep.  

Instead I might just chuck the shirt on and go for 260/270/280 or something like that 

Thurs 21 Jan - Week 3 

Heavy Squat day 

Warmup to 220kg

Working sets with

5 sets of 270kg x 2 

3 sets of 290kg x 3 

Bunch of paused Squats with 220kg 

I knew this session was coming when I programmed and it was one I was genuinely scared of.  The weight was okay but the shear volume is more than I would normally do.  I actually used that fear and turned it around into motivation and it ended up being a killer session.

Trained up at Unirec and it was hot as f*ck.  I was dripping sweat but gave every rep a good amount of respect and tried to bury it every single time.  Got quite a bit of inflammation on my knees towards the end and tweaked my adductors so the last set of 290s was not quite as deep as I wanted.  If I had more time I would have gone back and redone that set but gym was closing so had to lump it.  

All up it was a great session though and I'm proud to get thru it with ease really.  Still plenty in the tank.  

So I just did my dreads/squats/bench on consecutive days which means I have 3 days with only my ohp day to do (and a prowler or similar conditioning session).  I can't wait for a bit of rest body feeling like it's getting a thrashing, in a good way though

On 20/01/2016 at 3:03 PM, soundsgood said:

As far as weights used the numbers are a bit lower than I move normally but overall volume moved per workout is higher so this is supposed to equate to a bigger lift on comp day.

So how does this work? I get that if you're strong enough to do extra reps, that probably also means you're stronger on comp day when you only need to do one rep. I get that. But in this case, your reps aren't going that high, so you're getting the extra volume from additional sets, right? It seems like that would train more stamina and recovery, rather than strength.

(That's not a critique of the method, btw - it's a "here's my ignorant understanding - aware me plz" kind of a statement!)

10 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

So how does this work? I get that if you're strong enough to do extra reps, that probably also means you're stronger on comp day when you only need to do one rep. I get that. But in this case, your reps aren't going that high, so you're getting the extra volume from additional sets, right? It seems like that would train more stamina and recovery, rather than strength.

(That's not a critique of the method, btw - it's a "here's my ignorant understanding - aware me plz" kind of a statement!)

Hopefully SG won't mind me chiming in, my programming is set up very similar to this.

From my basic understanding a lot of these programmes are based off of Preplin's Table which basically is the go to for reps,  sets, intensity per session for strength programming.

You don't have to train at 9-10RPE all the time to get adaptions from your body.

Also by spreading out the reps over lots of sets you get more better quality reps and therfore a better quality movement pattern.

As an example: - You hit one top set at 85% and get 6 reps and you grinded out the last two and your technique went pretty rough. And you're too buggered to hit any more top sets.

- You hit 4 top sets at 85% for 2 reps each set. You're going to be getting 8 reps at the same intensity, and they will likely all be better quality reps than the other session.

So as you can see the second session you get better motor pattern adaptions, you get more volume at a given intensity and you lower your risk of injury etc.

Hopefully that explains it ?

The lads who come up with programmes like Cube Method might different reasoning but that's my understanding.

From a powerlifting perspective it's more beneficial as time under tension, metabolic effects Etc that bodybuilding want for muscle growth are less important.

Text book reply from Beast Builder ?

In laymans terms basically you will make more gains working just south of failure with around 85% of your max for volume rather than trying to work up towards 100% and training to failure.  

Theres more to it than that obviously with the structure of Cube Method.  You only train each exercise heavy once every 3 weeks so you get plenty of rest and the rep and explosive days have Unlocked parts of my lift that I've never really been able to work while constantly working above 80% every session.  

Im Extremely confident I will PB total at pro raw but even if I don't I will be better for having run this programme.   It's actually a good programme even if you're not just trying to hit bigger 3 lifts.  I feel my conditioning and stamina is getting better each week.

The assistance work is provided in the Cube Method programme excel worksheet.  It suggests exercises, sets and reps but there is a little bit of leeway provided to the lifter to adjust exercises that may be more preferable and rep ranges.  

For example it was suggested that I finish on 3 sets of 8 x 260kg paused squats this week.  There is no way I was going to manage that after the 8 working sets prior so I dropped it down to 220kg - 3 x 6-8 

For the most part I am following as prescribed but I know which exercises transfer over to my lifts better than anyone so theres a bit of customisation.  

On OHP / Bodybuilding day I'm allowed free reign really.  It's the day I'm allowed to go and attack bodyparts I feel like working on and weights / reps / sets are up to me 

Gotcha.

Asking, because one can tell that Cube follows Prllepin's table (as do I) when it comes to the main lift as BB said above. What surprises me though is when it comes to assistance, something like a Paused Squat would be used at such an intensity - 260x3x8 would basically be on the upper end of Prilepin's table if it was a workout on it's own. Yes, assistance, but it's very similar to the competition lift, unlike a hack squat or something.

I'd probably be encouraging you to drop the weight as that pushes a tough workout into 'overboard' territory as far as stress on the body.

Monday 25th Jan - Heavy Deadlifts 

Start with 10 min stretches and mobility working on lower back and glutes 

Couple of sets of full range paused chinups 

Conventional Deadlifts

Warmups of sets of 5 to 220kg 

Working sets 

5 sets of 2 with 260kg 

Deficit Deads 

4 sets of 3-5 with 240kg 

Snatch grip deads

2 sets of 5 with 180kg 

Stiffleg Deads 

3 sets of 12 with 140kg 

Ham extension (feet in lat pull down seat) 

Tried a few reps but felt like hammies might rip so gave it a rest 

Deadlifts were not great tonight.  Anticipated much easier pulls after the last couple of weeks progress but felt like all the tech work I had built on went out the window.  Never mind I'll keep plugging away.  

Body weight - 123kg 

Here's my quads trying to fit into a girls belt fail haha

image.jpeg

Tues 26 Jan - Rep Bench

Benchpress

Warmups

60 x 10

100 x 10

140 x 10

180 x 2

200 x 2

Working sets

210kg x 2 

3 sets of 180kg x 7 paused 

Closegrip Bench

3 sets of 180kg x 3 

1 set of 140kg x 15 (wtf PB outta nowhere Closegrip) 

Ended session early as had to watch Jumanji with my son lol

GPC Mt Maunganui bench champs this weekend.  Unsure if I will lift raw or equipped.  Haven't touched shirt since push/pull 6 weeks ago.  Might just jump in raw.  Be at least 3 other guys pressing 200 raw so should be a good comp!  

15 guys / 15 girls.  It's down at the reserve on main beach drag across from the toilets from 11am so if anyone if around the Mount they should come check it out.  

Thurs 28 Jan - Heavy squats

Tonight was a slight varient to the standard Cube programme.  I wanted to chuck in some squats up to 95%ish to see how they felt 7 weeks out from proraw.

Warmed up to 220kg x 5 

Working sets 

2 sets of 280kg x 5

1 set of 320kg x 2

1 set of 340kg x 1

I was lifting at Unirec in a standard power rack with gym bar and plates, soft wraps, walked out no mono and no ammonia.  All the weights moved fast, left with plenty in the tank.  

The 340 was actually a training PR too, the most I had ever done in the gym was 335 two weeks out from Nationals where I got an easy 350 and nearly hit 370 so this is promising not even half way through my prep. 

Bodyweight was 125 today

Day at off tomorrow then mount bench comp.