Deadlift - 300kg

Best lifts Total - 882.5kg

Comps this year 

March - Proraw 8 at Arnold Classic Melbourne

May - GPC Waikato champs

July - GPC Nationals

Sep - GPC world champs (Serbia)

Oct - GPC Auck Bench wars - Equipped bench 

To start off with Im working with a modified 5/3/1 programme that has one big set at the end of compounds followed by accessory work.  

No I will not be trying Sumo deadlifts again lol.

post-1805-0-39444100-1446502624_thumb.jp

My problem is that I have been focusing on the compounds for too much volume of late and my forearms, knees among other things have been getting nailed so to start the programme I have included the accessory work volume in place of the compound volume.  Hopefully give the body a little bit of a break

Will ramp it back up in the coming weeks :)

To start off with Im working with a modified 5/3/1 programme that has one big set at the end of compounds followed by accessory work.

I'm 5/3/1-ing it myself atm, so I'll be looking at your accessory work with interest. I might even just copy your programme directly (albeit halving the weights...)

In for gains.

Love 5/3/1 for the main lifts.

Will be good for you I'm sure, have you ever done programmes like it or have you mostly done more Sheiko style programmes like Tom's since you've been powerlifting ?

Am going to be going back to this kinda training/programming for the main lifts after comp, really looking forward to it.

Wait till you hit some high rep Deads (12-15+ reps), separates the men from the boys haha

In for gains.

Love 5/3/1 for the main lifts.

Will be good for you I'm sure, have you ever done programmes like it or have you mostly done more Sheiko style programmes like Tom's since you've been powerlifting ?

Am going to be going back to this kinda training/programming for the main lifts after comp, really looking forward to it.

Wait till you hit some high rep Deads (12-15+ reps), separates the men from the boys haha

Haha oh god, nothing makes me feel like spewing like high rep deads :/ haha

Most of my BB training was super high volume with lots of volume heavy compounds at reasonably high intensity.  

I look back at some of my old workouts I did 5-6 years ago and couldn't even imagine doing it again.  5 sets of 200kg x 12 squats - no wraps, 2 min between sets followed by 3 sets leg press, 3 set leg extension, 3 sets lunges, 3 sets ham curls, 3 sets stifle deads and then 5 sets calf raises.  Its definitely true you can't train in your 30s like you did in your 20s so make hay while you can bro haha

Toms Sheiko programme was literally the first proper powerlifting programme I have ever run apart from 4 week 5x5s leading into comps.  It was too tough on my body to be honest, I'm too soft haha.  Sheiko is not for the weak thats for sure

Strong as faarrkk. .. are you going to struggle to get under 110 cos you're not exactly fat at 124? What's the difference in weight lifted in the 125k class. Pretty amazing going considering you haven't been specifically power lifting for very long.

Thanks man, Im pretty happy with the progress Ive made, and keeping body in reasonable condition is always important lol

Theres about 20kg difference in totals between the 125s and 110s on the all time list. Doesn't sound like a lot but 20kg is a pretty big difference at this top end of the all time list.  For example theres less than 20kg that separates the 20th place and 10th place

If I can get my deadlift up to a reasonable level theres no reason why I can't aim for those kind of totals, but Ive got a few more competitive years before I start peaking.  This is only my 3rd year of competitive powerlifting 

I managed to drop down to 114kg at Auckland champs this year and thats where I posted my best squat and deadlift so I don't dropping an extra 4 with hot baths etc as being too much of a problem

If I can get my deadlift up to a reasonable level theres no reason why I can't aim for those kind of totals, but Ive got a few more competitive years before I start peaking.  This is only my 3rd year of competitive powerlifting 

this bro, with your squat and bench you could be near top even in Australia, soon as deadlift moves a bit you will be there.

your squat and bench are up there with the aus records in 110s and 125s, just need some more deadlift

will follow this journal!!

this bro, with your squat and bench you could be near top even in Australia, soon as deadlift moves a bit you will be there.

your squat and bench are up there with the aus records in 110s and 125s, just need some more deadlift

will follow this journal!!

Lol yeah bro if only there were squat/bench comps, I'd carve up haha

How far into it are you?  Do you AMRAP the last set as well?

I think I've done about 8x 4-week cycles now (with a bit of time off here and there for injuries). I like it, and was surprised at how well my joints have generally coped.

I do AMRAP the last set, although I'm finding lately that I'm not getting much more than the prescribed reps anyway. I think that's probably because I'm now at the stage where my strength needs to break new ground for me to progress - whereas early on muscle memory probably played a significant role. So the limiting factor for me is perhaps recovery (diet's ok, but sleep is not) and the assistance stuff. I'm really unsure whether my assistance work is optimal or not, so like I say, I'll be watching yours with interest.

DEADLIFTS WEEK 1 - WED 4 NOV

First week and I've already mucked up my programme

Mobility work to start

Widegrip pull-ups
2 sets of 10

Deadlifts
Warmup with 60kg / 100kg / 140kg / 180kg

Dead stop reset Deads
220kg x 5
240kg x 5
260kg x 4.5 + 1

Supposed to be 247.5kg x 5, thought I'd round up to 250kg as don't have 1.25kg plates

Lost grip on 5th rep half way up so had to stop, rechalk and come back for (and getting) the last rep

Thought that felt pretty heavy for 250 then when unloading realised I'd used 10s not 5s on barbell duh

I'll be honest I'm pretty good at touch n go deadlifts with straps (think max is around 260ishx10). And I know I'm not so good at dead stop and reset Deads. That's probably why my deadlift is lagging a bit. So I'm forcing myself to lift like that even though I can't do the same weight/reps.

Accessory work
Wide grip lat pull down
4 sets of full stack (110kg) x 16

Seated cable pull
3 sets of Full stack (110kg) x 12

Was going to do tricep work but forearms are absolutely fried so didn't risk it

SHOULDERS WEEK 1 - FRI NOV 6

Started with 15 min mobility / stretching / light presses and raises

Standing overhead press (Strict)

Warm ups at 60kg / 70kg / 80kg

90kg x 5

105kg x 5

120kg x 4

120kg x 5

Was supposed to hit 120 x 5 for one set. Used my slingshot compression cuffs to high on my forearms and they blew up so much my hands went numb during first set and only got 4 reps.

Was annoyed so I rested for 2 mins then went back and got all 5 on the next set. The last couple of reps weren't as strict as I would have liked but meh I'll take it and bank it

Seated side DB raises

3 sets of 15 w 18kg DBs

Shrugs

3 sets of 15 w 180kg

Machine Bicep curls

3 sets of 12 reps each arm w just over half stack

Alternating Standing DB curls

3 sets of 20 with 20kg DB's

Last set of 120 x 5 OHP

http://youtu.be/qLFQTT32nvI

SQUATS WEEK 2 - MON 9 NOV

Mobility Work to warm up 

SQUATS

WARMUP SETS AT 60kg / 100kg / 180kg / 220kg 

240kg x 3 

260kg x 1 (wrap came off after first rep so racked weight) 

300kg x 3 (good deep reps) 

Front squats

Good Mornings 

High rep Leg Press 

Had a really bad sun burn from the weekend which made the bar extremely painful on my back.  Took pain away from my legs which bizarrely made the squats easier haha.  

Woke up this morning expecting pain in my legs like usual but due to lack of squat volume they feel the best they have in ages.  Thrashing them every week might have been holding me back a bit?  

Heres a back shot of my sunburn 

124kg 

image.thumb.jpeg.6196d2c5ea87191b14a42c1

BENCH WEEK 2 - 10 Nov 2015

Mobility work on forearms.  Elbows and forearms feeling pretty sore from close grip squats.  Pisses me off that this injury keeps flaring up.  Put elbow sleeves on to try help 

FLAT BENCH 

Warmup sets at 60kg / 100kg / 140kg 

160kg x 3

180kg x 3 (paused, were absolutely shit as forearms were screaming)

210kg x 3 (touch n go to try alieviate the pain) 

Was not very happy with this session.  Was way harder than I had hoped due to the pain in forearms.  Think I need to restructure my plan so I bench before squats and then squats are followed by 2 rest days.  Also have to wide grip squats only

Moved onto Incline Bench 

Did one set of 140kg x 10 and felt like chopping my arms off.  9/10 pain.  Deep heated them and left it there.  

So annoying 

Flat bench here- (hyperlink to YouTube not working properly?)

http://youtu.be/cCQ-_0wtfis

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from 8 days in Perth 

Unfortunately as things panned out I couldn't make the gym as I had hoped so my programme went on the back burner 

It was pretty warm (35-38 degrees all week) and I made a couple of  visits to my cousins new gym - Heavy Duty a Gym - in Clarkson, which is in North Perth, with an open roller door and no air con.  It's a mean facility completely dedicated to powerlifting so I urge anyone travelling or living in Perh to check it out! 

Just had some play around sessions where I benched 200 x 4 followed by 220 x 4 in a slingshot followed by squatting 300kg x 3 and deadlifted 270kg x 5.  

I will finish my last week in the 5/3/1 this week before moving into the next stage of the programme.  I find the accessory work pretty boring so really looking forward to the next bit .  Not too worried about this stage anyway as it was designed to be a drop in compound volume to give my body a break.  Next stage will be more brutal and I feel the rest as done me good  ?

I've also entered the GPC Iron Giants Push/Pull as an equipped lifter which is in 2 weeks so that should be fun considering my lack of time in equipment ? 

http://youtu.be/rMWi__UsL48

BENCH WEEK 3 - 22 NOV 2015 

Warmup with Shoulder / Rotator Cuff / Back (lower and upper) / forearms / Hammy / Calf mobility work and stretches 

I find this so helpful and wish I had spent more time doing this in the past 

FLAT BENCH 

60kg x 10

100kg x 10

140kg x 5 

180kg x 5 

200kg x 3 

215kg x 2 

200kg x 5 

180kg x 8 

INCLINE PRESS 

5 sets of 140kg x 8 

Stretches 

http://youtu.be/Fw2NByFuAJI

Body is feeling the best it has for a while.  Knee is not playing up like it was, forearms are okay, back  is good.   The break from compound volume has done me the world of good.

About it to move onto some heavy duty compound stuff with little assistance work so hopefully my body holds together.  More volume and frequency but intensity will be lower ie lighter weights.  At least to start anyway.  One more week of 5/3/1, deload then Iron Giants push/pull then into it!  Can't wait!