Powerlifting belts

Alphens88

depends what federation you looking to get to. the IPF approved ones are pretty expensive.. i say go GPC less to worry about for starters in regards to your gear being 'licensed' for use.

i use this one http://store.getstrength.com/getstrength-genuine-premium-double-prong-power-belt-medium/only $55 really strong, fit for purpose and double prong mechanism on it is really easy to use.

Yep, in the long term if you want to compete in NZPF, from next year belts must be from an approved brand (currently Inzer, Titan, Metal, Eleiko and a couple of others) SBD is rumoured to be bringing out an approved belt, but haven't yet.

The manufacturer's websites have sizing charts.

Locally, the Getstrength belt's a good product, and would be fine for GPC or CAPO, and Outbak aren't bad, although their buckle design is a bit weak.

I'd start with a prong buckle, easier to adjust than a lever.

I have a 4 inch Inzer forever lever belt. Solid as fark, took a few weeks to arrive but its awesome for squats. Quick release lever so tightens and releases with a single snap and gives a shit ton of support . I also have a 3 inch single prong belt from www.bestbelts.com that I use for deads. Also kicks ass and the plus behind a prong belt is you can adjust quickly if you want it tighter or looser. Also the bestbelt one can come in any colour if you want a flash pink one. Ultimately most belts will do the job for you though.

Outback Belts buckles shit themselves.. Snaps and pings off under continued applications of pressure which I'm sure you'll put it through.

I currently have an Inzer Forever Belt, Two Prong, 10mm. Solid as and will last forever, see the name haha. Definitely recommend.

Can get from LoadedLifting.com in Australia, they stock all the Inzer gear. May take a few weeks to come but worth the wait.

My training partner got a Titan Lever belt from LiftingLarge.com in the States. Solid belt as well and if you would prefer the quick release lever design then go with this. But not if you need the belt on different settings for squats vs deads etc as you need a screwdriver to adjust.

Plenty of options. I would definitely recommend spending the extra bit of coin to buy quality as a good belt will last you forever.

But not if you need the belt on different settings for squats vs deads etc as you need a screwdriver to adjust.

Good point here i always wondered what i would do cos its bit fiddly adjusting lever in gym if ever need to

Im gonna get lever for squat when i want it real tight and keep my 2prong for deads

I have a 13mm harris single prong belt. It's all good! No complaints and would reccomend it. Took a week to arrive from Aus.

The sizing chart was accurate. When it arrived I was worried cause was stiff as and hardly got it into the first hole but once it broken in it use it on the 3rd hole and if want it tight I can get it into the 4th. So sized once broken in which is difference to new. Thumbs up.

It's a prett soft belt. Not as stiff as others I guess it depends what you prefer for myself I didn't want anything to stiff as I'm pretty new to belts. Some of the strongest guys in the world use Harris gear so it is good and tested.

Thanks for help guys,

I'm thinking of making a smaller investment in the mean time and getting  the basic getstrength powerlifting belt with double prong buckle. A lot of the more expensive ones I like the look of are out of stock in my size anyway  :-(

Do people have preference for single or double pronged belts? Most of what I've read says single prong because it's easier (don't have to worry about 2nd prong) I guess it's more of what you're used to than anything??

A lot of places make to order so you can just email them and they'll make one for you.

I woulf seriously recommend making the investment into a better belt right off the bat. Otherwise you're just guna be shortchanging yourself and spending more money overall when you buy another belt later on.

Single or Double Prong I don't think there's much difference tightness feel wise so should be sweet with either.

the getstrength double prong one is easy as, you don't have to worry about the nd prong, they are chained together so real easy. you won't be disappointed it ain't shit quality and the $60 inc. delivery price tag means you can get in to it without worrying about going overbudget on something you not sure of

Outback Belts buckles shit themselves.. Snaps and pings off under continued applications of pressure which I'm sure you'll put it through.

What happens when your buckle pings off? Obviously not ideal, but is it certain injury? Or do you just collapse onto the safety bars?

I've got a York velcro belt which I bought years ago from Rebel Sport for about $20 (I think they made a mistake with the price). It's served me well all this time, and continues to do so. I like it a lot, but I am aware that the buckle is probably the weakest part. I sometimes wonder if I should buy another belt, but if I can avoid it, I've got many other things I'd rather spend my money on.

What happens when your buckle pings off? Obviously not ideal, but is it certain injury? Or do you just collapse onto the safety bars?

Well it was my training partner that popped mine.

It was as he unracked a squat and breathed in at the top and it went snap and pinged off just as he started to go down so I just grabbed him and we racked it.

Have heard of a couple going at the bottom of squats but spotters were all over it and they grabbed them up and racked it.

I wouldn't think it would be definite injury, would most likely just loose tightness and drop onto safeties.

I've had two Outbaks ping - both at bends in the rod that the buckle's made of.

One let go during a squat, about halfway up, managed to finish it, but I was in the rack anyway. The loose buckle bits went flying - could have stung! The other one was during a deadlift, bracing at the bottom - so that was easier.

Planning how to dump a bar is worth knowing - pushing the bar back and dropping forward, even in a rack. I've seen bars bounce off the end of the safety rails in a rack if dropped from a height.

yeah in NZ i bought optimass' outbak belt off him and it had been used quite a bit already i think and i used it for 1.5 years (tiny weights though) and never had a problem

can see how a belt could break now i lift actual weights, when im in the hole on a squat the belt is being pushed against heaps, would lose tightness straight away if it pinged

Ive got an OutbaK gear belt - same thing? I've had mine years, 13mm double prong hasnt let me down yet - real easy/fast to release 

The older Outbaks had a buckle made of steel rod, they're solid-as. 

The later ones have a buckle made from brass (or something similar, non-magnetic) which fatigues at the bends (not the welds) and gives.... ping! 

• 8 months later...
On 8/09/2015 at 10:16 PM, teamfatboy said:

Yep, in the long term if you want to compete in NZPF, from next year belts must be from an approved brand (currently Inzer, Titan, Metal, Eleiko and a couple of others) SBD is rumoured to be bringing out an approved belt, but haven't yet.

The manufacturer's websites have sizing charts.

Locally, the Getstrength belt's a good product, and would be fine for GPC or CAPO, and Outbak aren't bad, although their buckle design is a bit weak.

I'd start with a prong buckle, easier to adjust than a lever.

Sorry to drag up this post from the past. I wont be at any national level comps in the next few years at least so would the getstrength belt be ok for just a local canterbury competition if i want to enter one?

cheers

On 21 May 2016 at 1:37 PM, BBQKLNG said:

Sorry to drag up this post from the past. I wont be at any national level comps in the next few years at least so would the getstrength belt be ok for just a local canterbury competition if i want to enter one?

cheers

Yep, most definitely the GetStrength belt would be a good way to start. 

Alternatively, the IPF has now approved  Best Belts and Iron Tanks, as well as Beast Genetics, Lifting Large and StrengthShop.  There were quite a few Beast, Iron Tanks and Best belts at the Central Districts Regional Champs, and the lifters I spoke to said they were fine. 

The reason for saying that is, if you shop around, often you can get an approved belt for little more $, esp if you use NZ Post YouShop for shipping, often saves heaps.

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, RAISElower said:

HI 

RAISElower now have a range of Powerlifting Belts in stock in a full range of sizes within NZ including the awesome SBD adjustable lever Belt

http://www.raiselower.co.nz/collections/sbd/products/sbd-powerlifting-belt

Can confirm the SBD is legit.  For squats there is nothing that matches. So much support it should be classed as equipped lol