Moving to Equipped Powerlifting

soundsgood

Ive only ever lifted Raw (last few years with knee wraps) and never really given much thought about equipped lifting but recently Its caught my attention and Ive decided to give it a crack.

After seeing what guys like Brett Gibbs and Reuben Simanu get out of there gear I'm hoping I can put up some decent numbers.

Ive researched it a fair bit, got some advice and decided on the equipment I will be using. Will all be IPF approved single ply (except for the knee wraps which would be if they paid the sanction fee I believe)

Here is what I will be using

SQUAT

Titan Super Centurion Single Ply squat suit - size 50

Schiek Lever Belt

Lillebridge 2.5m Knee Wraps

Kiwistrength Wrist wraps

Nike Romaleous II shoes

Optional (Adidas white headband lol)

BENCH PRESS

Titan Super Katana single ply shirt - Size 54

Schiek Lever Belt

Kiwistrength Wrist Wraps

Nike Romaleous II shoes (These are actually great to bench in)

DEADLIFT

Metal King Pro (size not yet confirmed, will need to be custom)

Schiek Lever Belt

Deadlift Slippers

I understand that equipped lifting is a completely different monster and it will take time to groove the gear and get used to it. Im not sure about getting adjustments on the equipment, still waiting to hear back from the suppliers about there recommendations for my measurements.

For reference I am 1.75m and currently weigh 122kg. I intend to bulk out to around 128-129 then cut a little bit of water pre comp so I can make the u125s

Current best raw comp lifts

SQUAT - 355kg

BENCH - 222.5kg

DEADLIFT - 300kg

I have moved to sumo deadlifts recently and this is not going well so far due to mobility. I think I may get the Conventional suit (you need diff suit if lifting sumo). The extra pop off the ground will be a godsend. I know some people who are good off the ground but not so much on lockout struggle to get much out of a suit. Fortunately its cracking off the ground with any speed is my weak point. I don't think Ive ever failed a deadlift I got up to the knees so a suit should hopefully aid me a bit.

I am hoping to move my squat up towards 400, Bench towards 280, and deadlift 320+

1000kg total is the ultimate goal at this stage.

I am getting the squat squat and bench shirt from the US. Haven't decided between lifting large or Anderson powerlifting. And the Deadlift suit from Finland. Im hoping will all be here in the next 3-4 weeks so I can start playing. We have a GPC push/pull comp in December that would be perfect to trial the equipment out in comp after 6-7 weeks playing around in it.

Im still going to compete raw. 2000lb raw total at Proraw at the Arnold Classic in Melbourne in March is still on the cards. I just want to have a play in some gear. You can do both. Brett does both and won world champs in his class in both equipped and raw.

Any questions on ordering, transit times, sizing, comments or critique please post it up here. Im hoping to see a few more GPC guys take the plunge so we can get this division going in GPC. I know the IPF guys manage to produce lots of exceptional lifters, Andrew Burge, Leighton Best, Hayden Lee, Brett and Reuben come to mind straight away.

I'll keep a log with updates in the journal section if anyone is interested in how it goes. I always post lots of videos on my Quadzilla Facebook page if you care to follow there as well.

Sizing seems to be the biggest drama to ordering all the equipment.

It all has to be tight as possible to be effective.  Uncomfortable is a term that has been thrown at me quite a bit lol.

I will be getting the arm and leg slips to help get the equipment on. 

I have a size 50 Super Katana Ive been trying to use the last fortnight.  Its second hand and already worn it, so should be a bit looser but I can't get it on.  My chest measures 53" around and arms are just under 20" so according to the Titan website a 54 is best fit.  52 if you are experienced and want a really competitive shirt.  Thats why Ive chosen a 54 but willing to listen to more experienced heads here.

should be fun mate, man that feeling when you hit the right spot is amazing, iv still got all my single ply stuff hanging in the shed, the thought crosses my mind time to time, look forward to following your progress

Maybe I can convince you to jump in the equipment and give it a crack some time early next year Red?  Would be awesome if we could get a few of the boys all lifting equipped at once.  A whole flight over 300kg squats would be epic!

I've got an f6, rage x bench shirt and a super cent just sitting in my dresser. Gonna give it a go after Proraw in November and hopefully do an equipped meet at the Rotorua meet next Feb/March. It'll be good to see you in some equipment Hamish. Looking forward to some huge lifts

holy crap man thats some monstrous lifts already... 400kg squat i reckon that's like the point where someone transitions from legendary lifter (300kg squat) to godlike. crazy bench too, isn't it normal for people to deadlift more than they squat though? i'd have thought your leverages would be pretty good for that (not that 300 deadlift is weak lol)

I've got an f6, rage x bench shirt and a super cent just sitting in my dresser. Gonna give it a go after Proraw in November and hopefully do an equipped meet at the Rotorua meet next Feb/March. It'll be good to see you in some equipment Hamish. Looking forward to some huge lifts

Thanks man, can't wait to see what you can put together too! Prob won't have the Monolift at the Rotorua meet but if you're happy to walk your squat out Its mind boggling what you'll hit in your centurion. That is if you fit it by then. The Baconator pies aren't gonna help lol

holy crap man thats some monstrous lifts already... 400kg squat i reckon that's like the point where someone transitions from legendary lifter (300kg squat) to godlike. crazy bench too, isn't it normal for people to deadlift more than they squat though? i'd have thought your leverages would be pretty good for that (not that 300 deadlift is weak lol)

Thanks man. I remember when I first hit a 300 squat. It was a mind game for a couple of months. I failed it 3 or 4 times and only finally got it through a misload in comp. I'm hoping if I can get close to 400 it won't be quite so much of a mind game. Easier said than done though. Its only talk till its white lighted on the platform

It all has to be tight as possible to be effective.  Uncomfortable is a term that has been thrown at me quite a bit lol.

I'd never really thought about it, but I guess that would be a big issue with wearing this gear. If it's got to be bordering on too small for you, there must be quite a danger that you won't actually fit it. Particularly in this sport where people's size and weight varies so dramatically.

Or do people end up having multiple suits? One to train in, and one for when they've cut down to make weight for a competition?

I'd never really thought about it, but I guess that would be a big issue with wearing this gear. If it's got to be bordering on too small for you, there must be quite a danger that you won't actually fit it. Particularly in this sport where people's size and weight varies so dramatically.

Or do people end up having multiple suits? One to train in, and one for when they've cut down to make weight for a competition?

This is what I have been led to believe.

I have been recommended to get gear that is tight but not extremely tight to get used to gear. Maybe do a couple of comps in it and then just use that gear for training and get a new set of gear a size smaller if I want to be properly competitive.

I've been told some guys can only just hit squat depth and only just get bench to touch on their openers, that's how tight the suits are.

I don't know how accurate that is and it doesn't sound very appealing as it becomes not a game of how strong you are but how tight equipment you can fit into is. I'm just wanting to play in some equipment that's not too tight to see how it works for me

Well didn't Tom lee bench in his shirt and there was like a weight he couldn't touch chest with, a wright he got lift with then next weight couldn't lock out... The margin of weight was so small... Like 5kg increments or something from memory.

So if it's too light you won't touch but if it's too heavy you won't be able to lock out.

Didn't Greg turrell only get 20kg from his squat suit others are getting 100kg... Why? Dan r can't hit depth with lighter wrights in his squat suit and if heavy enough to hit depth be too heavy to push up...

I know zero about it but it sounds really easy to bomb by picking wrong numbers and a very small margin of error. I think in raw lifting you can get away with a lot more. Like I said I don't know anything about it but just my observations.

Also ipf uses 2m wraps for equipped not 2.5m if you were wanting same single ply gear as them. I think.

I bought an inzer rage to have a play on benching. Went off the size chart and everything measured around chest I think. Couldnt get in on no matter what . Would have dislocated my shoulders as it didnt allow for my width . Ended up cutting it up the back in a rage so I could try use it and then couldn't even touch my chest with 160kg. Not even close and bruised me up hard. Custom made is apparently the way to go.

Well didn't Tom lee bench in his shirt and there was like a weight he couldn't touch chest with, a wright he got lift with then next weight couldn't lock out... The margin of weight was so small... Like 5kg increments or something from memory.

So if it's too light you won't touch but if it's too heavy you won't be able to lock out.

Didn't Greg turrell only get 20kg from his squat suit others are getting 100kg... Why? Dan r can't hit depth with lighter wrights in his squat suit and if heavy enough to hit depth be too heavy to push up...

I know zero about it but it sounds really easy to bomb by picking wrong numbers and a very small margin of error. I think in raw lifting you can get away with a lot more. Like I said I don't know anything about it but just my observations.

Also ipf uses 2m wraps for equipped not 2.5m if you were wanting same single ply gear as them. I think.

Okay good to know. I like the Lillebrudge wraps and they a GPC legal so I'll stick with them

All good points. I guess I won't know till I give it a go

Also Dan R lifts multiply which is notoriously hard to hit depth Without huge weight. He is on the cusp on a massive squat though. Dan has huge squat strength. Hope he can nail a big one at his Comp this weekend.

Yeah equipped lifting is a different beast. even to the point where you programming is different o allow more frequency of certain lifts like bench where its more about the groove of the shirt rather than how strong you are. I know its expensive but you probably want 2 sets of gear. One for training (slightly bigger sizes) and one for comps (slightly smaller) because your weight will be fluctuating so much as well. It will be interesting to see how you go.

Titan Super Centurion Single Ply squat suit - $325

Schiek Lever Belt - $150

Lillebridge 2.5m Knee Wraps - $60

Kiwistrength Wrist wraps - $40

Nike Romaleous II shoes - $220

Titan Super Katana single ply shirt - $370

Metal King Pro - $350

Deadlift Slippers - $40

Slip ons - $60

Shipping for equip - $120

All up around $1750 for the full kit

Second kit for Comp would possibly want to be custom made so you'd pay 1.5x for each suit/shirt. So another $1750 for custom gear shipped over

Doesn't help that the exchange rate isn't flash at the moment

• 3 weeks later...