To go even further and beyond..

_jco

Just competed for the first time in the weekend. I did Men's physique.

Didn't place. Didn't do well. My posing was awkward (due to not putting enough effort in to it and I was nervous).

I want to compete again exactly 1 year from my last one.  I'll be fixing my weakness. I have severly underdevoped abs and back so I'll focus on that. But every other day I'll train for power lifting as I dropped heaps of strength during my prep.

My lifts from yesterday's powerlifting day

Bench 70kg x 5

Squat 80kgs x 5

Deadlift 130 x 5

Before I started my prep I was benching 95kgs x 5, squatting 130 x 5 and deadlifting 165 x 5.

My plan is to be able to hit these max lifts by end of the year : Bench 115, Squat 160 & Deadlift 200kgs.

I was 68kgs on stage but now I'm back to 73kgs.

gC2lgo2.jpg

(night before the comp, 68kgs)

My routine is going to be

Sunday - Back/abs

Monday - Power lifting routine - Bench x 5, Shoulder press x 5, Deadlift x 5

Tuesday - Back/abs

Wednesday - Power lifting routine - Bench x 5, Shoulder press x 5, Deadlift x 5

Thursday - Back/abs

Congratulation on having the courage to step on stage. 

Looking at your pix you seem to have a good base to work with. 

One thing I am unsure of is your routine ... I understand that you want to emphasise strenght and your back and abbs but it doesn't seem to be that thoroughly thought out to me. Have you considered looking into one of the more common power-building programs and "slightly" modifying that to fit your needs?

I don't think working up to a set of 5 on dead-bench-shoulder press will accomplish much from the initial neurological adaptations. Also ... why no squats? 

Oops. Squats instead of deadlifts on wednesday. Back/abs workouts are low volume. I'm only doing this routine till december so my back and abs can catch up. I thought it was a bad idea too but I never had a high frequency training split before. So 10 sets then?

I'm still gutted about my performance. That's why I'm doing a whole year of training for the next show (9 months bulk and 3 months cut) but I can't stop eating atm! I bought almond gold minibars and ate 3 bags of it today (12 in each, 100kcals each). Since sat I gone through 5 dozens of them..... And I won't even mention the kitkats and cookie time+nutella I ate. How do I stop this post comp binge?

That's normal to have post comp blues and it goes away over a period of time. I had post comp blues after my first show. Just foucs on next year and being normal again after spending time cutting including enjoying the foods that you like

Well done on competing, you look pretty good in your photo for first comp. 

I wouldn't worry about your abs, trying to make them 'catch up' seems a waste of energy imo. 1, bringing up your abs is like bringing up your calves, possible but so much work so you're better off prioritizing something else. 2, even if you did manage too, you won't be able to see because abs are more to do with bf% than anything else.

From my experience I found direct ab training detrimental to my strength. DL's, squats and to a degree bench require a lot of core muscles. My advice, enjoy your training and crazy pumps for now. Try find a program you like the look of and stick to it. As far as the postcomp binge goes just ride it out, happens to everyone, you just get better at it.

Look over these for ideas on how to structure your program...

PHUL:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

PHAT:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Or any other established / well know program. You need something structured better than what you have. IMHO 

Well done on competing, you look pretty good in your photo for first comp. 

I wouldn't worry about your abs, trying to make them 'catch up' seems a waste of energy imo. 1, bringing up your abs is like bringing up your calves, possible but so much work so you're better off prioritizing something else. 2, even if you did manage too, you won't be able to see because abs are more to do with bf% than anything else.

From my experience I found direct ab training detrimental to my strength. DL's, squats and to a degree bench require a lot of core muscles. My advice, enjoy your training and crazy pumps for now. Try find a program you like the look of and stick to it. As far as the postcomp binge goes just ride it out, happens to everyone, you just get better at it.

I had ab veins (bottom and top) and visible sartorious. And my abs still didn't had the 3d look. So no, I don't think it's all about BF%. I hardly trained it before.

Look over these for ideas on how to structure your program...

PHUL:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

PHAT:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Or any other established / well know program. You need something structured better than what you have. IMHO 

I had a look at those before. I had a look at a friends power lifting routne as well as he competes as a powerlifter. But they don't align with my goals. My primary goal is to have a really wide taper and 3d abs. Powerlifting is secondary. As I have a back injury (hips rotated, eretors are tight and burcitis in both shoulders). I'm not making excuses with my injuries. Still going to train heavy but my main goals is to win next years show.

Good choice in regards to taking a year off. Progress takes time and the majority of the time those who compete regularly throughout the year often look the same show to show. I have competed one year on one year off since 2011 and I think my progress each time has been noticeable. This is different to guys with heaps of development however I didn't have much to begin with and im assuming you want to gain some decent size before competing again.

Don't be down about your first show Tho man. Be happy! The fact that you committed to it and got it done says something in itself so just use it as a platform for future success.

After seeing your thread re a coach it probably wouldn't be the worst idea given your experience in the scene and you could learn a whole lot from a good one although there are a few guys on here who im sure will pitch in with info when needed.

Anyway whatever you decide all the best and well done on your first show :)

Good choice in regards to taking a year off. Progress takes time and the majority of the time those who compete regularly throughout the year often look the same show to show. I have competed one year on one year off since 2011 and I think my progress each time has been noticeable. This is different to guys with heaps of development however I didn't have much to begin with and im assuming you want to gain some decent size before competing again.

Don't be down about your first show Tho man. Be happy! The fact that you committed to it and got it done says something in itself so just use it as a platform for future success.

After seeing your thread re a coach it probably wouldn't be the worst idea given your experience in the scene and you could learn a whole lot from a good one although there are a few guys on here who im sure will pitch in with info when needed.

Anyway whatever you decide all the best and well done on your first show :)

Someone did suggest a posing coach but she does bodybuilding. So I only went once. I'll practice from now on and get a posing coach closer to the show.

How lean do you usually stay at during off season?

I had ab veins (bottom and top) and visible sartorious. And my abs still didn't had the 3d look. So no, I don't think it's all about BF%. I hardly trained it before.

Vascularity and what muscles are or aren't visible while related to low bf% don't determine how lean you are and your muscle shape is largely predetermined by your genetic make up.

If it's not bf% chances are it's genetics. I know a number of people who have trained abs intensively for years to little avail in a quest to make them thicker. It's just my opinion though

Power to you if you can build 3d abs, I will follow with interest to see how you get on.

Vascularity and what muscles are or aren't visible while related to low bf% don't determine how lean you are and your muscle shape is largely predetermined by your genetic make up.

If it's not bf% chances are it's genetics. I know a number of people who have trained abs intensively for years to little avail in a quest to make them thicker. It's just my opinion though

Power to you if you can build 3d abs, I will follow with interest to see how you get on.

What if I get striated ass and still no abs?

What if I get striated ass and still no abs?

Haha! Then don't enter the physique class... go for bodybuilding instead, and hitch those trunks up high! Whatever you've got, flaunt it. :D

Congrats on your first show, mate. I know you're feeling a bit down, but honestly - where you place is irrelevant. The fact that you stuck with the process and made it on stage is a massive achievement in itself. That alone puts you ahead of 95% of gym junkies.

You're looking pretty good in that pic too - great serratus and obliques.

I had a look at those before. I had a look at a friends power lifting routne as well as he competes as a powerlifter. But they don't align with my goals. My primary goal is to have a really wide taper and 3d abs. Powerlifting is secondary. As I have a back injury (hips rotated, eretors are tight and burcitis in both shoulders). I'm not making excuses with my injuries. Still going to train heavy but my main goals is to win next years show.

I'm just going to echo what the other guys have said above (and these are veteran competitors, trainers, and osteopaths, so they're some of the most qualified people on the site to be giving you this advice).

You say powerlifting is secondary, and I get that. I'm exactly the same. But actually I'm growing more off a powerlifting routine now than I did under years of "bodybuilding style" workouts. You might want to check out this topic:

What bodybuilders can learn from powerlifting

In particular, the main takeaway point from that topic is that more is NOT better.

Especially in your situation - if you already have back/shoulder injuries, the last thing you should be doing is thrashing hell out of them every few days. It's just asking for trouble. If you really want to hit back and abs more, train them twice a week at most, but no more than that.

Re ab training I recommend doing it and heavy. Not All, but most of the guys with the best mid sections train their abs. If you want to thicken them up then resistance training is the way. Funnily enough the guy who won the overall men's physique on sat first competed in 2012 and had basically no abs. Comes back 3 years later in probably the same condition and has a great mid section. Proof enough that it's not all genetic.

Trained back today for the 3rd time this week. I never had DOMS on my back bfore. Must be the new routine or I finally had a good mind to muscle connection.

Tried to do dragon flags but it hurts my arms and shoulders. Specially biceps. So I tried a half dragon flag (ass on the edge of the bench) and added a 5kg dumbbell on my feet. That worked out well. Could feel it hardout in my abs.

2%20sm_zpsvesnzzsn.jpg

1%20sm_zpszjurdbj1.jpg

3%20sm_zps1a5okm6i.jpg

Re ab training I recommend doing it and heavy. Not All, but most of the guys with the best mid sections train their abs. If you want to thicken them up then resistance training is the way. Funnily enough the guy who won the overall men's physique on sat first competed in 2012 and had basically no abs. Comes back 3 years later in probably the same condition and has a great mid section. Proof enough that it's not all genetic.

Asian guy?

post-11168-0-59939600-1440063971_thumb.j

post-11168-0-38637500-1440064180_thumb.j