Novice powerlifter/gym junkie

ayewhyandla

Hey everyone, 

I'm Ella, 22, living in Waikato, been going to the gym for about 3 years now, started off as a marathon runner, in the last year or so I've started weight training and have been seriously lifting for about 6 months now. Hoping to compete in a powerlifting sometime within the next few years when I'm up to standard! *bicep emoji* 

Hey everyone,

I'm Ella, 22, living in Waikato, been going to the gym for about 3 years now, started off as a marathon runner, in the last year or so I've started weight training and have been seriously lifting for about 6 months now. Hoping to compete in a powerlifting sometime within the next few years when I'm up to standard! *bicep emoji*

Welcome !

Good choice to ditch marathon running for PL. Should start a training log on here. Cant have too many powerlifter journals!

Also check out the competition on here in the general chit chat area, squat competition. Odds are there wont be heaps of girl entries so you would have a good chance of getting some prizes just for entering

This isn't aimed specifically at you but since you said it... Don't wait to compete... I don't get that mentality of waiting till good enough (what is even "good enough"?) or waiting till you can lift this and that before competing. You know the best way to get better and to measure progress... Well it's competing.

If you do a comp then the next time you compete you only add 2.5kg or 5kg to each lift then that's still progress. Lots of people scoff at the 2.5-5kg rule but think of it like this if you add 5kg to each lift that's 15kg on your total. If you do 3 meets a year that's 45kg. 45kg! That is progress.