The body weight squat challenge

maccaz

11863255_10152936374706990_1598151858065

There's over $1200 worth of prizes up for grabs here. The guy and girl to squat the most reps each win a 3kg tub of Horleys ICE WPI AND a Gymnation shirt. Plus we're giving away a third tub for the most deserving entry, and boxes of Horleys protein bars as spot prizes!

All you need to do is squat as many reps as you can with your body weight (for girls) or 1.5x body weight (for guys) - to the nearest 2.5kg. Easy!

Here's how it works...
Video yourself on the scales (show that they're set to zero first), then say "Gymnation squat comp 2015", and your Gymnation username. Clearly show how much weight is on the bar before beginning.

You need to squat to at least parallel (so the crease of the hip is below the knee), and the camera needs to be in a position that shows this clearly. Knees need to be locked out at the end of each rep. Any reps that aren't full reps won't be counted. Wraps/sleeves/belt are allowed. Any disagreement over rep quality can be raised in the thread and the entrant will have the opportunity to redo the entry. Final judging is at Pseudo's discretion, but we don't expect this to be an issue as in the past these have been resolved with a re-entry.

Post your video in this topic. Competition closes at midnight on Sunday 23/08/2015 and is subject to the usual terms and conditions. If we end up with a tie (ie, multiple people get the same number of reps), we'll extend the competition by 24 hours until we have a winner.

We're giving away 3x  3kg buckets of Horleys ICE Whey:
1x for the best female
1x for the best male
1x for the “best effort” by viewers choice. This will be decided on by number of likes on your post here. Each person can only win one prize (E.G. you can’t win best female, and also “best effort”)

There will also be 6x boxes of Horleys protein bars as spot prizes given out at random over all entries. In total there is 9 prizes which means there is plenty of chance to win something just by entering.

Good luck!

It doesnt really matter but since theres a seperate prize for girls you could have just made it bodyweight for both.

yeah i know but bodyweight is kind of boringly easy for some people, it'd become a cardio challenge more than anything else for a lot of people. wanted to see people struggle without needing a long boring video to watch.

i rather watch a hard 20 reps then an easy 50

how many you reckon you could get at 1.5x bw? 

yeah i know but bodyweight is kind of boringly easy for some people, it'd become a cardio challenge more than anything else for a lot of people. wanted to see people struggle without needing a long boring video to watch.

i rather watch a hard 20 reps then an easy 50

how many you reckon you could get at 1.5x bw?

Not many. I won't be attempting it.

Skeletor for the win. you read it here first

Yeah skeletor was my first pick considering tom lee is cutting. Dunno hamish could pull something crazy out but i think really a lighter person will have it. For girls of course rebel is my first pick.

Na man im crap at high reps at the moment. Be lucky to get 25 at the moment. Will still give it a 100% efgort though. I was gonna say in b4 Soundsgood puts up the first video again and scares everyone off. My pick will be Montz.

Yeah I think Montz is going to be the typical sneaky entry and take it. 

Surprised he didn't for the over head challenge, probably already got a year supply of free protein haha

How bout people put video where mouth is and enter. Rebele didn't even enter the last comp neither did montz. Montz has only squatted like 250ish in comp and he was about 10kg heavier than he is now and would be squatting 140kg.. Hamish has squatted 360ish in comp and would be squatting 180kg. Hamish's reps would be a smaller percentage of his 1rm than montz's would be. Top crossfitters in NZ on average lucky if they can hit 200 for a 1rm. And if they could it would be sloppy as hell.

I'd be going off what percentage of the persons 1rm is on the bar and the smallest percentage I would have as my favourite.

But I guess we will see

Im just curious why allow wraps. Not complaining but probably a bulk of entries wont be using wraps and against the people that do they have a lot less advantage. Ill definitely do one next week I just cant walk today.

no particular reason, some people wear em, some dont, didnt want it to be strict its not a PL comp, just meant to be a fun comp so to get as many entries as possible want it as open as. 

i think wraps are gonna feel pretty shit after a few reps so its trade off if you wanna wear them or not

no particular reason, some people wear em, some dont, didnt want it to be strict its not a PL comp, just meant to be a fun comp so to get as many entries as possible want it as open as.

i think wraps are gonna feel pretty shit after a few reps so its trade off if you wanna wear them or not

True bro all good. Will hopefully get a good turn out of both guys and gals.

Interesting, l did enter the last competition so maybe my entry was not counted, shame.

Will be both bitter sweet for me to do the comp, l am on full ketotic diet and completely carb depleted, like on 12g per day.

So, while my weight is down l have very little energy to expend on high rep squats.

Oh well, can only try, but seriously Maccaz thanks for your confidence in me, appreciated atm.

1st crack, was 102.1kg so hit 152.5kgs, seriously poor form on the videoing, pussed out from really going balls out this time but will go nuts next crack for 30+...and turn the cam the right way lol! anyway its a start with 24

Those reps were fast and effortless Red, why did you stop? 

Fitness stop you?