Body height/weight to strength ratio.

Skeletor

Been reading through the Brett Gibbs topic and got me thinking how there are a lot of strong guys who are quite short. 170 cm or under. Which is good for me cause I'm 170 cm . Not a big expert on levers etc but is there an advantage to being a particular height for your weight? Easier for a short lifter or are taller guys stronger? Obviously a lot of variables but just in general. Would like to know everyone's height/weight and what their average max lift in squat and deads are.

Been reading through the Brett Gibbs topic and got me thinking how there are a lot of strong guys who are quite short. 170 cm or under. Which is good for me cause I'm 170 cm . Not a big expert on levers etc but is there an advantage to being a particular height for your weight? Easier for a short lifter or are taller guys stronger? Obviously a lot of variables but just in general. Would like to know everyone's height/weight and what their average max lift in squat and deads are.

few things off top of my head

1. taller = longer arms and legs = longer distance to pull weight

2. taller = longer area to spread muscle, eg 100kg @ 170cm vs 100kg at 190cm, the shorter guy will have more muscle = more strength

3. taller = longer levers = weight is heavier due to leverage (no physics expert here_

most very successful powerlifters im aware of are not tall. obvious exceptions eg bill kazmaier 190cm or something, but also close to 150kg bw i think

im 176cm and im hoping my midget gains kick in soon

Well torque(down) = force(weights) x lever length. Torque (up) = force(muscle) x lever length of how far up from your joint tendons attach. This hardly changes between tall and short people so is pretty much constant.

Therefore:

ForceW = (forceM x constant)/(lever length)

So weight lifted is greater for shorter levers if same force is applied by muscles. Its implicit that shorter limbs will be an advantage for squat and bench as will require less force from muscles to lift same weight.

Deadlift if you have long arms, long torso and short legs its an advantage

An ant can lift many times its bodyweight. An elephant can only lift a fraction of its bodyweight. Is an ant stronger than an elephant. No.

Being heavier (from muscle not fat) means you are stronger overall. Tall guys can get heavier than short guys. But then increased limb length works against them.

Lots of balancing.

When I was 150kg at 1.95m, I would say that a shorter guy say 170-175cm weighing 110-120 was roughly proportional.

I still stand by that. The biggest guys ultimately have the greatest strength potential, but if you compare PL records in the 110-125-140+ classes they're very similar.

yeah im 5 7..i think theres advantages and disadvantages to being shorter for lifting however its not an overwhelming factor imho.

I think smart training,good nutrition,and other genetic variables come into play rather than just a blanket statement of "short is good"

For example a fellow competitor sent me his training when i had run out of ideas on how to get my squat moving whereas his had skyrocketed.

Now hes taller than me but we were in the same weight class,and the simple fact of the matter was he was willing to train harder and could handle it to get the result.He could handle more intensity and frequency without over training.

I think the ability to keep going whether you are 5 2 or 6 6 plays a big part.you may want to keep going but there could be other factors like blood pressure,recovery etc that will stop you whereas the taller guy even though his levers may not be as advantageous,he may not have the same limiting issues.

i think the amount of fast twitch muscle and superior nervous system you have is another factor.some guys are made to move weight quickly.thats not a height thing either.

The cube square law means the smaller you are, you have a larger relative muscle power hence manlets are relatively stronger than bigger guys though bigger guys have a larger capacity to shift bigger weights

I guess this explains why the Wilks coefficient (which is statistically derived from top lifters) is non-linear, in favour of heavier lifters.

Anyway here's a pretty recent study I stumbled across on this topic:

"While powerlifters have unique anthropometric profiles, more successful powerlifters typically have higher degrees of muscle mass expressed per unit height and/or bone mass but similar segment lengths and segment length ratios to their less successful peers"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25611080

• 2 months later...