Brett Gibbs elevated to 1st place after class winner fails drug test

Brett pulled a 215kg dead lift in 2011, hes currently pulling about 310 on the regular with I think a PB of 317.5 ( could be wrong ) - 4 years of solid training every day for a young guy full of testosterone to add 100kg on a dead lift? I went from 230kg ( had been deadlifting 3 solid weeks had never done one prior ) in May last year to 300 by September. If you want to assume he's juicing then could you prehaps let him know he's doing it wrong? Thanks, champ.

yeah brett is a freak, like i said, dont mean to bring him up, just happens that we are from nz so the focus of this news is on him.

whole point of what i said was that people on social media acting like this 1 guy who got caught must be the only person who has ever cheated and everyone else is victim of this horrible cheat when thats not neccessarily the case

all good 

Firstly congratulations to Brett, been following his lifts for a while on YouTube absolute freak of nature! Also able to transition for raw to equipped and be world class at both is ridiculous !

Now about the drug testing

The cost of testing all athletes to the best of the abilities of WADA's protocol would cost tens of thousands of dollars per athlete. The cost just isn't justifiable. Federations like the IPF will get funding from sponsors like SBD etc but that wouldn't be enough to ensure blanket testing pool.

Below is a quote from an article with the costs of having to test an athlete with the new protocols WADA has developed.

Improvement of scientific sophistication of tests to increase detectability and sensitivity, increase of the testing frequency and improvement of their randomness is possible, but it will come at a significant cost – about A$30,000 to $40,000 per athlete per year.      

Using typical values of detectability of 48 hours, sensitivity of 40% and testing frequency once every three months, the probability of detecting a cheater who uses doping methods every week is only 2.9% per test.

If tests are repeated every month, the probability raises to about 33%, meaning that two thirds of dopers would slip through the net. This is assuming that testing happens genuinely at random with no prior warning to the athletes.

The link to the article http://theconversation.com/exposing-dopers-in-sport-is-it-really-worth-the-cost-16464

The IPF is bound to be the cleanest or high standard of drug testing (WADA). Especially as they are trying to become a registered sport in the Olympics which would be awesome for powerlifting growth and getting it more main stream and in the public eye. 

interesting article.im probably being tested in a few weeks.waste of money if its 40gs a test??surely thats an exaggeration as all you are doing is urinating into a sealed container with someone watching to see if you dont have a catheta sneakily placed up your backside..damn.

in saying that an 80 yr old got tested last yr,but i would of thought that if funds are limited they are better off allocating monies into catching the Castillos of the world.

If you take gh or gh manipulating peptides will that show up in any of the testing that they do?

Stalkers its not 40k per test its 40k per year to test properly (more frequently) which is too expensive hence why the testing at the moment isnt going to catch lots of the people who do cheat

interesting article.im probably being tested in a few weeks.waste of money if its 40gs a test??surely thats an exaggeration as all you are doing is urinating into a sealed container with someone watching to see if you dont have a catheta sneakily placed up your backside..damn.

in saying that an 80 yr old got tested last yr so i better quit whining and pull those trous down..,but i would of thought that if funds are limited they are better off allocating monies into catching the Castillos of the world.

Blood testing... 

Brett pulled a 215kg dead lift in 2011, hes currently pulling about 310 on the regular with I think a PB of 317.5 ( could be wrong ) - 4 years of solid training every day for a young guy full of testosterone to add 100kg on a dead lift? I went from 230kg ( had been deadlifting 3 solid weeks had never done one prior ) in May last year to 300 by September. If you want to assume he's juicing then could you prehaps let him know he's doing it wrong? Thanks, champ.

Natural or not achieving a 317.5kg deadlift at 83ish kg is a much better acheivement than a 300kg deadlift at 100-110kg bw. If someone had trained on gear for 4 years and had a 317.5kg deadlift i wouldn't say theyre doing it wrong.

Your deadlift went up fast because you already lifted and had most of the muscle/strength required. Most people on gear cant deadlift 317.5kg or even 300kg

My point was his slow steady gains, not his achievement or his bodyweight. If you're on gear and you add 100kg to a dead lift over 4 years you should probably shank your dealer because it's watered down.

If someone had trained on gear for 4 years and had a 317.5kg deadlift i wouldn't say theyre doing it wrong.

Is this an implication that you suspect he's been lifting on gear for over 4 years? If someone went from natural, where they were pulling really good numbers for their bodyweight onto gear they would have large, noticable gains not slow and steady ones over 4 years. 

Friend of mine went on last year mid way through pulling 220 for his gym pb and 6 months later hes hitting 280 on a regular basis. Thats a good natural lifter to a good enhanced lifter bump in numbers. 

Comparing one persons progress to another's is a bunch of horse shit. Some people gonna train 20 years take shit loads of gear and never lift anything noteworthy.

It's sad that he missed his moment to win on the world stage but it will come again and again and again at the rate he's going. People cheat and glad this one got caught.

If we were just going on numbers then pretty sure Brett is elite in any federation not just the drug tested ipf.. some people are just strong.

No im not implying hes on gear at all. I doubt he is. I disagree with your argument because youre incorrect.

Adding 60 or 80 kgs to a 220ish untrained deadlift in a few months like craig has is good but expected on gear. I bet if your mate josh hopped on something he wouldn't be getting a 380kg deadlift in 4 years or ever even though its only the same relative weight increase.

Similarly you wont add another 70kg to your deadlift in a year or 2 or ever even though you added 70kg in a few months. What happened after your 300kg deadlift? Id say in the year or whatever since you pulled 300 you wouldnt have added even 20kg to it.

Diminishing marginal returns.

Adding 60 or 80 kgs to a 220ish untrained deadlift in a few months like craig has is good but expected on gear. 

What the actual f*ck? I used that as an example to show the jump in numbers you would get if you went from being a good natural lifter to an enhanced one - you then backed me up with that statement. Thank you.

I initially mentioned Bretts 4 year progress on that dead lift as being slow and steady if he went from natty to enhanced along that 4 year path he would have jumped up to the 300 mark a lot fucking quicker than 4 years because he is a very good natural lifter. 

Brett's clean. The biggest freak that NZ lifting has ever had.

There have been scores of Kiwi's using gear and competing tested. Brett's not one of them.

Absolutely no reason to believe he's on something. His gains have been slow and very steady. No increase in bodyweight in years. And a huge amount of tests.

I know guys can cheat tests. But in an amateur sport where a guy like Bretty gets tested 8-12 times a year...no.

100% agree. This isn't even a legit discussion.

Brett Is, always has been and likely always will be clean.

He's not far off the raw in wraps world record for all Feds including untested Feds and that's just in sleeves.

Just an unbelievable freak.

Best NZ powerlifter of all time in my opinion

Pretty good read through this thread. Didn't realise the cost involved in testing for gear. Good that they get caught only because they choose to compete in a drug free fed against natty lifters though. Nothing wrong with them choosing to use gear for themselves But why not just go in an untested one? But it does just go to show even the IPF isn't 100% drug free. How many others slipped through that never got tested? Also had never heard of Derek prior to this but watched a couple of YouTube clips and wow Beast!

hardly anyone has been banned in NZ."lots of bans"isnt true.Edit..thats 1 guy ive never heard of..

Plus you guys imply that theres a number of people who are past and present competitors using steroids who compete in NZPF.whos that?

I reckon its rare due to a few reasons.

Cost

Availablity

The fact youll get narked on by jealous competitors.

hardly anyone has been banned in NZ."lots of bans"isnt true.Edit..thats 1 guy ive never heard of..

Plus you guys imply that theres a number of people who are past and present competitors using steroids who compete in NZPF.whos that?

I reckon its rare due to a few reasons.

Cost

Availablity

The fact youll get narked on by jealous competitors.

I said "lots of THE bans"... Key word being "THE", meaning of the bans regardless of how many there were or weren't alot of them would have been for banned substances other than aas. For example weed, pre workouts etc