Acupuncture (anyone had it?)

nemesis

Hi guys I've been away for AGES working hard and getting soft. I'm finally getting back in the gym as well as getting back on the mats (jiujitsu) but seems like the prolonged time away and obvious muscle atrophy has meant I'm not only weaker but I'm also a dam sight more fragile too. Appears some of my old muscle (not that I had too much to begin with) was supporting my joints and bones more than I gave it credit for.

Anyway, talking to a mate who is a similar age (old according to my kids) and that does judo (far more impacts and injuries there) he recommended acupuncture. My physio also keeps going on about having this done too.

Ive always been a little sceptical of it for some reason, but over the past 12 months and at least a dozen strangers have recommended I give it a go after they see me limping or generally crippling around.

So just wondered if anyone here had any experience with it or any success stories.

I guess I'm just looking for further confirmation biases as I'm likely to give it a try. Can't hurt to try it I'm thinking....right!? 

a lot of people i used to meet in bjj recommended acupuncture aswell, although they also talked shit about the needles releasing blocked energy and other bullshit

tbh when i started out doing bjj and mma i was constantly sore for a few months, as body got used to the different movements and flexibility needed. after a while body just kind of accepted the beating it was taking, but injuries still pretty common. could just be a matter of time for you, keep up stretching religiously and dont train when injured.

Back in my sporting days before I started exclusively lifting heavy things I played quite a few sports at a reasonable level.

One of these was Volleyball, when we went to a tournament with the High School team I was captain and one of the key players on the court. Our coach was Canadian and had lived in Japan for awhile and had studied Alternative Medicine focusing on Acupuncture while he was there.

During our second game I raped my shoulder, froze up like a bitch and hurt hard out to move through basically any range of motion. My anatomy knowledge was piss poor back then so unsure what I did/can't remember what he said was the issue. But it was a tournament over a few days and this was the first day so I had to try get back in playing form.

That night he did a couple rounds of Acupuncture spaced few hours apart (before dinner and before bed), and next day was a tad stiff but bit of a warm up I was fine to play and didn't cause me any more issues the whole time.

So I know it's worked for me pretty darn well before, I'd say give it a shot, anything is worth a try at least once

Thanks lads. yeah I do like a good deep tissue massage but my main injuries I'm always working around are more joint problems than muscular.

Haha Yeah Maccas I really appreciate your very polite way of saying I'll harden up with time. And while there is definitely an element of that, i won't lie, (sore fingers, feet, palms, obliques, etc) I'm really trying to work around my a/c joint pains and more so, rib weaknesses from major surgery a few years ago.

Most of these pains where overcome when I first started training BJJ, but I was still lifting back then. stupidly I stopped to focus more on flexibilty and cardio training.

Getting back into the big lifts and maybe a course of home pinned TRT will get me back to where I was.... :think:  haha  

I cross my fingers, but with my recent luck it would break them :pale:   

maybe a course of home pinned TRT will get me back to where I was.... :think:

TRT administered by qualified acupuncturist. Best of both worlds!

But yeah, give it a go... Why not? I've not seen a conclusively speedier recovery because of it - but as you say, it can't hurt. Just make sure the person you see is experienced. I think acupuncture, more than any other therapy, is reliant on the therapist hitting exactly the right spot. A few millimetres out, and it's a waste of time.

Haha now that's a plan!

Yeah I think I'm going to give it a go. Had a couple specific recommendations so we'll see how it goes.

Desperate to find something to help overcome these regular pains. Pretty sure getting back into heavy lifting will aid it and anything complementary to that will be embraced.

My physio also does a fairly good deep tissue. You know any others that are known for good deep tissue as well?

Had it a couple of times at base of neck when I was having migraines...that and physio as well. Although I did have a mild reactionto the needles just really itchy for about a week afterwards..id say it worked gof me

Accupuncture or dry needling? They're very different. I've had dry needling done and it was like a miracle cure, I'm normally a very skeptical person so whether it was placebo or not I dunno, I haven't been bothered to look into it. From what I can gather there is a small amount of evidence to say it works. Accupuncture is pure bullshit, energy flows and meridians etc.

Accupuncture or dry needling? They're very different. I've had dry needling done and it was like a miracle cure, I'm normally a very skeptical person so whether it was placebo or not I dunno, I haven't been bothered to look into it. From what I can gather there is a small amount of evidence to say it works. Accupuncture is pure bullshit, energy flows and meridians etc.

Riccardo, a acupuncturist said there are normally two types

1. The hippy mumbo jumbo idiots that think the needles release chi etc

2. The rest who think it works via (il paraphrase what i remember) creating openings in the lymphatic system letting fluid and toxin to move and be reabsorbed and disposed of vs accumulating in one area

Excuse my zero scientific explanatiom but could there be any truth in that ?

I have had a variety of acupuncture treatments over the years. Usually in combination with massage. The needles were used to help break up the tension in the deep tissue which would require a truckload of work from the masseuse to get into. My personally favourite was the guy who would run a current though the pins and leave me lying there twitching like a man enjoying his last seconds on death row.. seemed to help a little bit so I'm not averse to acupuncture. My osteo uses it to release tension in my neck traps and lev scap. Works very well in conjunction with massage and manipulation.

My personally favourite was the guy who would run a current though the pins and leave me lying there twitching like a man enjoying his last seconds on death row..

Nasty! Mine would stick the needles in, then come back every few minutes, and give them a couple of flicks with his finger. Bloody sadistic bastards...

I had acupuncture on my lower back after crushing a vertebrae (motorcross, not from lifting).  He put a doughy stuff around the needles and lit it so the heat went down through the needles into my back.  Very relaxing and knocked the pain out almost completely for 3-4 days at a time. 

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this. I just got back from my physio today (hadn't seen her for a while due to missing my last appointment weeks ago through hospitalisation), and rather than once again asking about acupuncture she tried some new isolation movements. 

Long story short, she also recommends I get back in the gym as I've turned into a soft doughy ball of jelly, which is why most of my old relatively small injuries are back troubling me. A weakness in my lower trap and scapula has meant my upped trap and delts are pulling the shoulder joint badly, blah blah blah.....re-build the strength in my back. 

She even laughed out loud at how weak I am during one exercise. Loudly! hahah bitch!

So acupuncture can wait a while, as my spare cash needs to go towards thai massages to work out the impending knots and lactic acid thats headed my way. Although tonight is first jits class for while, I may well be broken by tomorrow...